M71

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

I was fighting severe cold when I was sketching this so, it isn't as good (in my opinion) as the other globulars I've sketched. Currently all I have for my highest magnification is 120X, but that should change in a couple weeks when I get my 5MM TMB Planetary. Then I'm hoping to catch more stars than just mere dots that prove difficult to place in relative to one another.

Attached Files

#2 JakeSaloranta

JakeSaloranta

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Finlandia

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

At least to my eye, you managed to catch the triangular/arrow shape of the globular very well. Good job on that!

I would suggest using gif/png format on sketches instead of the jpg due to the fact that JPG uses lossy compression and it often shows quite vividly like in this case. Or simply try to use no compression on jpegs at all.

/Jake

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

Brandon,

Nice sketch of this fine globular in Sagitta. :bow:
Globulars are pretty tricky to render accurately at the correct brightness and stellar resolution but this sketch looks very good.

Frank :)

#4 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

Brandon, beautiful globular... again!

#5 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

This sketch looks great to me. I seem to recall this glob being unimpressive, but I've only seen it once or twice. I'll have to try and catch it from a dark site sometime.

Doubling your magnification should help a lot on globs, I can't wait to see some sketches through your new eyepiece.

#6 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

Thank you for the kind compliments! I really appreciate it. I know I'll be getting the TMB in a couple weeks (maybe as long as a month) and I'll be sure to do a sketch of one of the "grand" globulars (as I call them) through higher magn.. Thanks again!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics