New Tool: DSO Browser

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#51 Starhunter249

Starhunter249

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Wow! Thank you. This DSO tool is amazing. I bookmarked it as a favorite. Thank you again for your contribution to the world of amateur astronomy.

#52 planet earth

planet earth

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Canada 43*N 80* W

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:51 AM

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for making it available for us. One suggestion for me is to allow another color scheme. I'm 50 years old and am having a hard time reading the page. Maybe you could include an option for an easy to read color format??

peace & clear skies,

Nice,I like it. But I need a easier to read color scheme also!
Clear Skies
Sam

#53 sebagr

sebagr

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hi guys,

I've been quite busy in the past few months, but I'm slowly working on a new version in which the color scheme will be different (grey over black).

In the meantime, you'll see there's a "Switch night mode" button at the top right of the page. You can change the colors with it to black over white - quite classic and no style whatsoever but hopefully you'll find it better :)

Best,

S.

#54 YogieOne

YogieOne

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

Just found this "App" Been wishing for some way of compiling a list that will be available for my viewing position, for the time I am/will be viewing any time I need one. This DSO Browser is exactly what I am looking for. Many thanks for making it available. I have bookmarked the site and added it to my favourites lists.
The only problem I have found (Just a minute one for not too many other people) is that my timezone (Adelaide, South Australia) is Plus 9 and a Half hours (+9.5 hours). There is not any timezone available - either 9 or 10.
Congrats, for a very good aplication, and thank you.

Y/O (YogieOne)

#55 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

This is awesome Sebastian, thanks for your effort.
I don't know how I missed this for the past two years. Somebody should have kicked me!

#56 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sand Springs Okla.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:41 AM

Thank you very much! This is going to be a great help!

#57 habitforming

habitforming

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: KY

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for a terrific reference tool! Has there been any consideration of making it into an android app?

#58 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Bookmarked. Thank you :)

#59 Kimbo2112

Kimbo2112

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Love this...thank you!

#60 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Yup cool tool.

Any chance of adding an option to save a list in a format that can be imported by apps such as Sky Safari?

#61 Louietheflyisme

Louietheflyisme

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

This is a really neat tool! Thanks a lot for it!

#62 ICallHimGamblor

ICallHimGamblor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Love this tool.

Maybe it's just the way I work in browsers, but when someone returns a list to me, I like to right click on some of them and open them up in separate tabs. Then I can look at several items simultaneously and compare them. It also allows me to work quicker without having to constantly re-render my initial list page.

Can you change the way your object links are generated so that you can work in multiple tabs?

#63 sebagr

sebagr

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

Maybe it's just the way I work in browsers, but when someone returns a list to me, I like to right click on some of them and open them up in separate tabs. Then I can look at several items simultaneously and compare them. It also allows me to work quicker without having to constantly re-render my initial list page.

Can you change the way your object links are generated so that you can work in multiple tabs?

Hi! You can do so by middle-clicking the "details" link in the right side of the list :)

Clear skies!

S.

#64 ICallHimGamblor

ICallHimGamblor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

I am so confused. Now I can right-click and open in new tab, but I SWEAR I tried that before in several browsers and it didn't work. Weird.

#65 WadeVC

WadeVC

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Lodi, California,

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

Not only is this awesome and I have bookmarked it; I have also left a link to it from my Backyard Astronomy Facebook Page for others as well.

Just awesome!!!!! :bow:

#66 nosmoke

nosmoke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

Hi, very interesting web site! One question:

I don't quite understand how "brightness" is calculated. It is apparently (magnitude)/(area of the object). Or, as the web page states, "magnitude per squared arc second". So, a higher magnitude value (i.e. less light) would produce a higher "brightness" value. But, higher area (i.e. lower brightness for a given amount of light) would produce a lower "brightness" value. The two seem inconsistent. It seems to me it should be calculated as 1/((magnitude)*(area of the object)). Where am I going wrong here??

#67 gregory93

gregory93

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

How do you sort by constellation?I clicked on AND and now it sorted it alphabetically i think

It would be nice if you could add a "show all" button.Someone may need to print all the info of a category (for example galaxies in andromeda). That would be easier.

#68 kt4hx

kt4hx

Mariner 2

• Loc: Fredericksburg, Va

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

In case some have not noticed, Sebastian has rolled out the new DSO-Browser.com. He has the image issue fixed, and he updated the overall look of the site. I think it looks good, and seems to run a bit smoother now as well. I hope everyone will check it out. You can click on this link to my favorite open cluster to give it a look.

http://dso-browser.c...o/info/NGC/2362

#69 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

Sebastian, so an interesting tool, thank you!

#70 PLeocorny

PLeocorny

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

Hello, Sputnik!

Man, you don't know how greatfull I am to you. I just bought my fisrt telescope recently, and was wondering: what am I going to search now?! Things here in Brazil are kinda difficult to find. There aren't good books that describes DSO for our hemisphere, and the softwares I use do not have a good database of nebula - or, maybe the problem is between the chair and the laptop... ;)

Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us. Hope I can find many and many DSOs now with my ST102mm!

Big hug from Rio.

#71 deepwaterescue4u

deepwaterescue4u

Sputnik

• Loc: Panama Florida

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hi!

I've been reading CN for a while now but never posted anything. I think this is my first post so, hi! :)

Since I bought my first telescope I've always found myself thinking which objects I could see each day from my place, both for observing and doing some AP.

I always wanted a tool that would let me answer questions like "Which DSOs can I see from my lat/long, 8th magnitude or less, between 8 pm and 4 am, reaching 45 degrees above the horizon for at least 2 hours?"

Since I'm a programmer (and thanks to the Saguaro Astronomy Club for letting me use their DB!) I decided to do this tool myself. Now I've managed to get a decent version after working for some time and I wanted to share it with you: the DSO Browser, at http://dso-browser.com

In the newest browsers (Firefox 3.5, Safari 5, Chrome 5, Opera 10.6 and above) you'll see the possibility to automagically detect your local coordinates. If you don't see it, you can just enter them manually. From there, you can set all kind of filters: type of object, apparent magnitude and size, minimum altitude, etc. Just bear in mind that any filters you set will restrict the search more and more, so leave some options empty if you're not sure what you're looking for.

The result page will be a paginated list of DSOs that can be seen from that place, showing approximate rise, transit and set times above the minimum desired altitude.

At the bottom of the page there's a contact form you can use to let me know your suggestions. I'm planning to include more features, but I believe I managed to get a decent enough version to share with you so those who wanted to use it could benefit from it.

Please note: this is not an exact application, just approximate enough to help in your observation/astrophotography sessions, so don't expect 'surgical precision' in the calculations :)

Hope you like it, I look forward to your comments!

Clear skies,

Sebastian

Great link takes a lot of guess work for newbies like me..

Thanks for sharing...

#72 Kidastronomer

Kidastronomer

Messenger

• Loc: Long Island NY (the light pollution is horrible)

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

'Clap Clap Clap'

#73 bushatz

bushatz

Lift Off

• Loc: SE of Kansas City , MO

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

Great program..... :bow: ..... make an App out of this.

#74 CharlesC

CharlesC

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

Couldn't find a way to search for galaxies based on range of apparent size, until I found dso-browser.

Great tool!  Thanks!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics