Explore Scientific Twilight II Mount - First Light

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 kwjohnson

kwjohnson

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Bob, I'm using a Twilight II with a C8 EdgeHD plus SV50 on one side--about 18 lbs (OTA, finder, 2" diagonal, 34mm eyepiece). The mount works without a counterweight but it glides really nicely with 10.5 lbs of weight on an ADM vixen rail. No need for slow motion controls. Enjoy. Let us know what you think.

#27 XyrcesFenol

XyrcesFenol

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

- It can carry alot of weight, even single sided. But when putting a heavy scope on it, do put a counterweight or another scope on the opposite side too, as it will then continue to be very smooth in the movement. :-)

- When assembling it it helped me where to put what washer and other things in the full thread below:

http://www.cloudynig...4769085/page...

There are some nice pic's from Explore Scientific that took away my confusion.

Having the washer on the wrong place will make it unstable. This is same on other similar brands.

Rgrds
Per-Erik

#28 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hummm, it looks to me very much like a tele-optic 's Giro mount.

Maybe a Giro "knockoff", but I suspect some quite licensing. ES seems to be part of the NORINCO empire. At NEAF I asked the ES rep if the Twilignt shaft was the same as the Giro 3's and was told it was and the scope adapter could be used on my Giro. The adapter when sold by Teton was something like $70. Giro has it listed for 28 Euro. I'm waiting for Giro to get back to me that some spares have "come in." From China I suspect.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics