Photo

Jupiter Observation (September 26, 2010)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:05 PM

Date (U.T.): September 26, 2010
Time (U.T.): 00:25
L1 90.6*, L2 33.4*, L3 240.4*
De 2.4*, Ds 2.1, -2.78m, 49.8” (Equatorial)
Instrument: 9-inch (23-cm) F/13.5 Maksutov-Cassegrain
Magnification: 310x
Filters: None (IL)
Seeing (1-10): 5, Antoniadi (I-V): III

Notes:
South Polar Region (SPR): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) and mottling is noted within.
South South Temperate Zone (SSTZ): Appears to contain bright (7/10) ovals, dark to dusky (3-4/10) condensations, and dusky (4/10) columns within.
South South Temperate Belt (SSTB): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) and irregular. A small and bright (7/10) oval is noted within it following the CM.
South Temperate Zone (STZ): Appears broad and shaded to bright (6-7/10) with a dark to dusky (3-4/10) complex towards the following limb.
South Temperate Belt (STB): Appears thin, irregular, and dark to dusky (3-4/10). Portions of the belt appear to be composed of small, dark (3/10) condensations.
South Tropical Zone (STrZ): Appears shaded to bright (6-7/10) with a dull (5/10), irregular (interrupted over sections) band across it's southern half.
South Equatorial Belt (SEB): Appears a delicate pastel reddish-pink hue with dull (5/10), irregular streaks noted within it.
Equatorial Zone (EZ): Appears bright (7/10) with dull (5/10) bluish-gray streaks noted within.
North Equatorial Belt (NEB): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) with an elongated bright to very bright (7-8/10) rift across it’s midsection (brightest portion visible on the CM). The preceding half of the rift contains a bright (7/10), angulated rifts. Small, dark (3//10) condensations are noted within the belt.
North Tropical Zone (NTZ): Appears broad and shaded to bright (6-7/10), but no other detail is noted within.
North Temperate Belt (NTB): Appears dark (3/10) and thin with dark (3/10) condensations noted following the CM.
North Temperate Zone NTZ): Appears thin and shaded to bright (6-7/10).
North North Temperate Belt (NNTB): Appears thin and dusky (4/10).
North Polar Region (NPR): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) and mottled.

A digital image produced in Photoshop Elements 9.

The best of luck in your own observations of Jupiter.

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:10 PM

The Galilean satellites were also visible. I have recorded Io (5.29m), Europa (5.56m), and Ganymede (4.88m), preceding to following, using the equipment described above (at 129x). Callisto was also visible but to the left (preceding) of the field and did not fit.

A digital image produced in Photoshop Elements 9.

Carlos

Attached Files

#3 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

Carlos,

Very nice sketches and descriptions, showing fine detail, as usual.

How do you produce your images? Do you sketch at the eyepiece, scan the sketch, then load it into PhotoShop Elements and adjust the image according to your field notes?

Hopefully, the skies will clear up here on a Friday or Saturday night so I can make at least one more sketch of Jupiter around opposition. Not this Friday, though, because we're supposed to have poor seeing and 30 mph gusts. This Saturday I might sketch Jupiter if I stay home, but my dark site is calling me: DSO time again!

Clear & Steady Skies,
Mike

#4 rerun

rerun

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany Mülheim an der Ruhr

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

Carlos,

wonderful Jupiter sketch. :bow: :bow: :bow:
You saw amazing details in the NEB and the polar regions.I like the detailed notes you gave to your observation.Thank you for sharing with us.Here it is raining .

CS

Markus

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

Markus and Mike,

Thank you for the compliments on my latest observation of Jupiter. I was fortunate to be able to see so much detail over the planet. The North Equatorial Belt (NEB) and the region between the SSTB-STB contained complex detail, as noted. The other regions of the planet were also interesting. The best of luck in your own observations of Jupiter.

Mike- I actually make my observations directly into my computer using a graphics tablet. I begin with a template of the planet and then gradually add detail as noted in the eyepiece. This requires me to go in and out a great deal in order to make comparisons between the image in the eyepiece and my rendering but it more accurately captures what I see. I ultimately hope to use a laptop computer and graphics tablet to make field observations (I am also considering the iPad which is a combination of both).

Carlos

#6 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

Excellent.

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

Sol,

Thank you for the compliment on my Jupiter observation. I look forward to your excellent observations as well.

Carlos

#8 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

Very nice sketches once again!

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

Brandon,

Thank you for the compliment on my my Jupiter observation. The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

#10 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:08 AM

Carlos, another fine Jupiter observation! Always a pleasure to see.

#11 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

Jef,

Thank you for the compliment on my Jupiter observation. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#12 mikesemmler

mikesemmler

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

Carlos - great, as always. Congratulations

Michael

#13 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

Michael,

Thank you for the compliment on my Jupiter observation. I wish you the best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

#14 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

Very cool digital sketch of jup, i especiallly like the subtle blues in the EZ.

#15 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

Carlos,

Great sketching in both cases. Much more detail than I have seen. The ovals in the SSTZ are especially interesting. Great work.

Frank :)

#16 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

Frank and Tommy,

Thank you both for the compliments on my Jupiter observation. I was very lucky to be able to detect so much detail over the planet. The best of luck in your own observations of Jupiter.

Carlos

#17 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

Carlos,
Great drawing--with the colors and the detail, one of your best yet.

#18 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

Very nice, Carlos. I love the colours and the subtle details in the NPR- I must try to make an effort to put those details in- I do see them, but in 11 minutes you have to get down what you can!

Very impresseive- Don't forget to send me your Uranus obs when the apparition is done.

#19 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

Paul,

Why an 11-minute limitation? I have read that about 20 minutes is a good period of time to allow yourself for sketching Jupiter. Less than that and you don't have enough time to capture sufficient details, more than that and the features can rotate out of view or change.

By the way, I have seen your sketches and you include quite a lot of detail for only 11 minutes!

Mike

#20 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

OT comment:

No Jupiter sketches from me this past weekend. The predictions were for poor seeing, so I took my 10" Newt to my dark site instead. I bagged 28 objects that I'd never seen before, including vbB 14 & 15, two reflection nebulae in Cam. (I only star hop - don't have goto or DSCs.) I don't think many observers manage - or bother? - to see them. Not much information on the internet and they aren't in the usual DSO lists.

Maybe Jupiter next time.

Clear & Steady Skies,
Mike

Correction: I searched through the SAC Deep Sky list again and did find vdB 14 & 15 there.

#21 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

Mike and Paul,

Thank you for the compliments on my Jupiter observation. It is not easy to render the subtle detail visible over Jupiter, as you are well aware of. This planet exhibits delicate detail, many times at the limit of visibility.

The eleven (11) minute limitation refers to the fact that Jupiter rotates very quickly (Equator rotates in a period of 9 hours 55 minutes 30 seconds at a rotation velocity of 28,148 miles per second (45,300 km/sec)). This, unfortunately, does not give the observer much time to record all features visible at leisure (say compared to Mars). If the observer records the major features visible then adds the detail afterwards (starting towards the preceding limb before the features disappear) then one can obtain an accurate record of what was visible.

The best of luck in your own observation of Jupiter.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics