A very sad loss...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

Folks-
Just received word this morning that Mel Dawson- known on here as dawsonian2000, and keeper of the Vega Sky Center website- lost his wife and soul-mate of 30 years this past week due to complications (pulmonary embolism) following knee replacement surgery. This hits close to home for me as first of all, Mel is a wonderful gentleman and a gracious frequent contributor here, and 2nd, I just went through this same surgery this past December. Furthermore, he just went through recovery from a stroke this past year. This is just too much.
Please keep Mel in your thoughts and prayers at this most difficult time for him.

#2 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

It is much to bear, and Mel is one of the good guys, so please pray for him, or keep a good thought for him in his time of loss and grief.
My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.

Doug

#3 chupacabra

chupacabra

Vostok 1

• Loc: Land O'Lakes, FL

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

I called Mel yesterday with no knowledge of what had happened. That short phone call immediately snapped my "struggles" into proper perspective. He is understandably devastated right now.

I don't know Mel as well as I would like to, but I have a lot of respect for him and always appreciate our conversations. It's tough knowing there's nothing you can do to ease the pain, but I'll certainly be praying for him and his family.

#4 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• Loc: Eureka, Pa

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

Very sad news indeed...

Paula and I will also be praying for him and his family during this difficult time.

#5 w orchid

w orchid

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa, Fl

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

Mel, I am praying for you and your family. God bless.

#6 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

You are in our thoughts Mel, The loves of our lives are always right beside us through all things.
Your Friends
Clint & Debbie Whitman

#7 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Apollo

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

I've known Mel since since we were teens and I consider him as my brother .This is a great loss to me and my wife as well because we have always loved them both . We have spent many of our vacations visiting with them at their place in Riverview ,FL . Mel and Gelinda did things the right way ;raised their sons, bought a home and shared a love that was indeed special;30 years strong .They were always togather whether going though good times and bad times, to the store or going on vacations.His life centered around her and family .
I was shocked and saddened when Mel called me with the news; Gelinda was transferred to a rehab center from the hospital and was expected to undergo therapy to heal from the surgery.
It is with a heavy heart that I will make the trip down to support my brother in his hour of bereavement ,and as I told him on yesterday I will always be there for him as he would be for me if I was in a similar situation.
Mel , as we spoke on yesterday , I am praying for you and may God protect and keep you strong.Love you man ,and I 'll be seeing you shortly .Contact me when you see this post .Your friend and brother,Gary (G:cool:)

#8 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

Very sad indeed. Mel just went through a difficult experience with the stroke and now to loose his wife is just too painful to imagine. It's clear Mel knows and loves God. May God give him the peace and strength during this difficult time.

#9 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

It is much to bear, and Mel is one of the good guys, so please pray for him, or keep a good thought for him in his time of loss and grief. My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.

I just said a prayer for Mel.

#10 obiwan1203

obiwan1203

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa, Florida

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

A very sad loss indeed. Mel is a friend and played a very big role in getting me into astronomy. My thoughts are with him.

Kevin D.

#11 akman1955

akman1955

Gemini

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

:(Mel, my thoughts and prayers are with you. john

#12 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: near the edge

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

God be with you, Mel, and know that we are praying for your comfort and company in the rough time ahead. Lean on Him Who is closer than a brother
blessings
Carol

#13 Richard Scott

Richard Scott

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa FL

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:11 PM

Mel…
My deepest condolences on your family’s loss.
I have enjoyed sharing the night sky with you under the eternal stars
It offers me some comfort to think your wife is now among those stars now
You and your family are in my prayers
Richard

#14 Happy-Idiot

Happy-Idiot

Stuck with it

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

Mel has brought me so much happiness through his posts, he oozes with compliments, he is a true Gentleman. I am so very very sorry to hear of his loss, and i will be sure to pray for him.

#15 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

Dear Friends,

As I go through the healing process after the difficult challenges I have had to face in the past year, I must Thank You all for the awesome support that each of you have given me to push through this touch period in my life. Without you support, prayers and well wishes, I do not know where I would be. Thanks so much...

Soon I will be returning to the CN group by assisting my good friend Gary Barabino by constructing a cradle ring assembly from oak. Until then, may God Bless You All for being there all of the time for me. I'll will be back soon...

My Sincerest Thanks and Appreciation,

Mel

#16 akman1955

akman1955

Gemini

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:42 PM

Mel..hang in there..i will hope and pray you overcome this tragedy. my condolence my friend.remember the good times as they are forever.. john

#17 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Mel ; Im so sorry to hear this, I know what your going through having just lost my wife in June this year. I will keep you in my prayers.

#18 CAVEMASTER

CAVEMASTER

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southern Indiana

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

There are no words that I know that can take away your pain or hurt. She is with The Lord now, Amen.

#19 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

To Wes and everyone,

It has been nearly three years ago that my life turned to shambles after having a stroke and loosing my dear wife Gelinda. I just wanted to report to everyone that I have been truly blessed because of your heartfelt prayers and well wishes. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Though the road continues to be tough after loosing someone so special in my life as Gelinda, I have been hanging on to the vast amount of great memories I have. Without them, and most of all my faith, along with your support, I do not know where I would be today.

I guess some of you may be wondering what I have been doing since that difficult time. Well, my health is good; especially after going "cold turkey" off of the cigs right after having the stroke. Smoke-free for nearly three years and counting! I am truly blessed.

On the ATM front of late, I am in the process of completing the 6" f/10 Jaegers GJD refractor, which (as many of you already know) I am building in my wife's honor (check out the home page on my website for details). I only hope that it will perform as good as it is going to look when I am done. :question: :grin: Once the 6" GJD refractor is done, I will be constructing a pillow block equatorial mount that will utilize a Byers 9" Star Master clock drive. The 6" f/10 along with other scopes in my collection will ride this mount.

Once again, Thanks be to you all for being there for me during that tumultuous period in my life. Please know that your prayers and blessings have helped me tremendously, and I am eternally grateful. May you all be blessed immensely in return. ...and if there is anything within my power I can do to help any one of you, please do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely Yours, and God Bless...

Mel Dawson

#20 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

You're a good man, Mel.

-Tim

#21 Happy-Idiot

Happy-Idiot

Stuck with it

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:14 AM

I am glad to hear you are keeping in good health because you are one of my favorite members here. Not only because of your incredible threads on ATM but your polite responses to others is an priceless example for us all. Keep posting Mel!

#22 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

Same here Mel.

#23 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:02 AM

Mel; good to hear from you, June of this year will be three years since my wife passed away, so know sorta how your doing.
As for classic scopes or ATMing, Im sorta at a stand still, lol.
My home made observing chair of nearly 15 years, failed on me Sunday night and lets just say, Im walking very slowly now, lol.It was thrown together from scrap boards, and was alwasy sorta iffy.
Recently got a 11te , but the poor mount isnt nearly enough for this scope.So Im considering oprions for this scope.
Im also looking for a 1.25 focuser for it, but do not want to drill holes, as Id like to retain the ability to put it back into classic scope form if needed.

Ok any ways, take care and be well.

#24 rguasto

rguasto

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

Our deepest sympathies.
-The Guasto family

#25 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

sorry to hear of your troubles, glad your doing better.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics