CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet Hartley

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 John K  Happy Birthday!

John K

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

I have found Comet Hartley difficult to catch here in my light
polluted back yard in Vernon.But last night with my 15" scope the hunt
was over.I have sketched what I saw with my 7mm Nagler at 271X.I was
happy to see that I have captured it very closely to what Sky and
Telescope have published with there photo.I like it when I sketch
stuff that I have no previous image of and find out that I have
captured it very closely,it is very fulfilling.Here is a link to a
photo of it from Sky and Telescope.

http://www.skyandtel.../102632669.html

Attached Files

#2 JakeSaloranta

JakeSaloranta

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:33 AM

Nice sketch! The comet was an easy target with my 8 inch dobson few nights ago under suburban skies so your light pollution levels must be very horrible! For me the comet only showed a brighter core and a little tail behind it, nothing as fine as your sketch shows! Good catch, nabbing a new comet is always rewarding - especially with the naked eye which is my favorite way of doing it.

/Jake

#3 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:12 PM

I also got to see the comet, last night though. I also found it to be hard to find. Finally, I just skimmed by it using my 25MM ( yields 1 degree of field, which is sometimes really helpful ) , and once that happened it was over. I pushed the magnification to 200X, which felt a little awkward, because it was just so small/dim for being a naked eye comet! Anyway, I like your sketch, it closely resembles mine from last night.

#4 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Gemini

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

John, glad you catched Hartley. It's no easy object in light polluted erea. In dark regions he's visible in binoculars. Keep following, because the comet is brightning. I hope to see another nice sketch in the future.

#5 rerun

rerun

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

John,

a great sketch of the comet with many stars in the field of your eyepiece.I like it.

CS

Markus

#6 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

great sketch of the comet, i searched for it in binoculars from my light polluted suburban location but didn't see it, the lp here is horrible.

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

John,

Very nice sketch of the comet. :bow:
I spent the time two nights ago to track down this visitor.
Like you I was surprised at how dim it was. I think I'm spoiled with all the other bright comets in recent years.

Frank :)

#8 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

John,
Nice rendering of this faint fuzzy--you captured its dim appearance nicely. I like that rhombus of stars that surround it. You can add to the observational quality of your drawing by including the date/time of the drawing in UTC, instrument and magnification used, FOV, and cardinal directions.

Jake is the first person I've heard call 103P/Hartley "easy" but he is an experienced DSO observer. However, Hartley is getting a little brighter now and the Moon is less of a factor. Still, it is a large diffuse object with very low surface brightness, so reported visual magnitude estimates are deceiving. It is in no way a naked eye object at this time.

The comet will be passing within 1° of the Double Cluster in Perseus this coming weekend--that might make it easier to find.

Elizabeth Warner of the Amateur Observers' Program is looking for sketches of 103P/Hartley in support of the EPOXI mission to Comet Hartley. I suggested she announce that here on CN. More info on AOP and EPOXI can be found here.

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

John,

An excellent observation of Comet Hartley (P/103). It appears to exhibit a diffuse nucleus and coma as well. The large aperture used must have made it easier. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#10 mikesemmler

mikesemmler

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

Thanks John, for your good scetch! In Austria, the wheater is bad since 3 Weeks :( :( :(
I hope for better weather in the coming days so that I can observe the comet

Michael

#11 John K  Happy Birthday!

John K

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

Thank you all.:-)

#12 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:19 PM

John,

:waytogo:, on your nice sketch :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics