4 replies to this topic

#1 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

Greetings All!

Here's an observation I made of Uranus on the 29th September. The disk was fairly uniform in brightness- the EZ seems to be the same intensity as the rest of the disk. There was a subtle darkening in the southern hemisphere.

Best wishes,
-Paul.

Posted Image

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

Like you said, the difference with your other sketch of Uranus is great. Has the planet really changed or are there other reasons (sky?)?

#3 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

At the moment, I am not sure whether the change is real or not. I am awaiting observations from other people. I know Pete Lawrence captured a bright EZ earlier in the month, so when I've got everyone's obs in, I can compare.

-Paul

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

Paul,

An excellent observation of Uranus. It is not unusual that the bright zone over the equator may have diminished in intensity considering that Uranus has a dynamic atmosphere and has exhibited changes over time (as imaged by the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) and amateurs around the world). It will be interesting to compare your excellent observation with that of other observers. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#5 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

Very nice sketch! The color is very realistic and the surface detail you cought is fenominal!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics