Jupiter Observation (October 2, 2010)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:10 AM

Bill- I do not know if I wold have seen more using the Ball Lens?

Always hard to tell the exact situations when it will pull far ahead. I know on Mars it was much better most all of the times. I've not given it much use on Jupitter yet so don't know. I've been using the bino for Jupiter most of this season so keep forgetting about the ball lens. Was out last eveing and it really was quite clear and steady so would have been a great opportunity, but when I brought all the equipment in around 2:30am I saw the ball lens sitting on the shelf and could have kicked myself for forgetting :lol:

btw - by that time in the morning Orion was up so in addition to a great evening for Jupiter got my first look for the season at M42....niiiiiiice!

#27 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

Dweller,

Thank you for the compliment on my Jupiter and Ganymede observation. The best of luck in your own observations.

Bill- I am glad that you got a good view of Jupiter and the Orion Nebula (M42). With the seeing that I experienced the majority of quality eyepieces would have been useful. The best of luck in your future observations. I hope to see some of them on the forum.

Carlos

#28 hbanich

hbanich

Apollo

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

Wow Carlos, fantastic drawing of Jupiter and Ganymede! Certainly you had excellent observing conditions but you did an amazing job of capturing the detail you saw. Planetary sketches always look so much better in color and you're a master at this - I need to find a good way to do this myself.

Bravo!

Howard

#29 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

Howard,

Thank you for the compliment on my Jupiter and Ganymede observations. Planetary sketches are not easy but practice will improve your renderings and make you a better (more critical) observer, in my opinion.

Using your 28-inch Newtonian you should be able to see the cracks on Europa! :lol:

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics