6 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:37 AM

Posted Image

Well, I deliberated about posting this, although I made the lunar image from a stock Internet file showing the exact terminator line on the moon for the evening of September 18th 2010, yet the rest of the image might be relegated to the art forum. I presented this image to John Dobson as a gift at the celebration for his 95th birthday at Griffith Park Observatory September 18th 2010. Ironic that Sinus Iridum, my favorite terminator feature was in prime form that evening. Timing is everything, as they say. This was the exact image of the moon that night that hundreds observed through many telescopes on the Griffith Park lawn, including through Dobson’s originally built, his largest 24 inch telescope.

The 22" X 30" sketch was worked on to completion while I drove the Highway 1 down the California coast in mid September. The image of Dobson was sketched as roughed in from an existing photo in the 35th Anniversary Edition of the Smithsonian Magazine at home before I left for the 3,000 mile solo road trip. The large lunar image was also copied from an image on the web, from a site that shows the terminator line, day-by-day. The telescope with the woman observer and the moon in translucent refraction through the prime mirror was done out of imagination.

When I presented it, I was asked to explain my sketching a little to the crowd, who then sang happy birthday to John Dobson. The rest of the image is perhaps self explanatory.

It was also my second attempt to properly frame a large pastel sketch with spaced glass and black wood frame which I accomplished in my hotel room before driving to Griffith Park that day. The monastery where Dobson currently lives assured they would hang it somewhere within the building.

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery [8 pages]

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

What a beautiful birthday present!
(BTW, my anniversary is the 3th of february ;))

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

Mark,

A fitting tribute to the great John Dobson whom I have had the pleasure to meet in the past as well. The Moon looks great as well as Dobson and the girl. Sinus Iridum and Copernicus on the terminator add to the scene. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Thank you as well for the compliments on my artistic/digital abilities.

Carlos

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

Mark,

What a fine tribute this is. John has given the Universe to many over the years and deserves all the recognition he receives.

Superb art.

Frank :)

#5 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:17 AM

Mark,

A wonderful gesture to John, and as usual, magnificent artwork.

Mike

#6 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

Thank you Jef, Carlos, Frank and Mike

When I began sketching the moon seriously after I saw the larger sketches here in CN by Rich Handy in mid 2008, I had then taken one of my former astronomy students to meet John Dobson while he visited near Portland Oregon as she was anxious to meet him. I told Dobson that I was sketching allot from observations through the eyepiece of my telescopes. He immediately quipped in an assertive phrase- "You know, you will see much more through the telescope if you sketch what you see!" I was pleasantly shocked that he stated this so quickly, just a few months after he had a minor stroke in early 2008.

I think I asked him if he has ever sketched or felt the desire to. He then told me that he would have liked to but that he was nearly blind in one eye since his early teen years due to an accident. I was then further humbled to think that he has spent most of his life giving thousands, perhaps millions? of people a new vision of seeing through their own built telescopes and his amazing instruments virtually for free to all the public that accidentally met him on city sidewalks and state parks.

Jef- I would imagine doing a sketched scene of you sitting in a dimly lit exterior at a telescope, sketching from the eyepiece in your unique artistic style. Someone familiar to you might be standing near by with some familiar scene of Belgium in the background . . . Now you have me thinking that I would do a serious portrait of all astronomical sketchers seated at a telescope under a very large moon, or perhaps artists sent to the moon sitting on a vast moonscape. That was originally an idea for a cartoon image that a friend of mine suggested I produce. My other desire after art and astronomy is very satirical and dry humor and human relations >
New Art Times Headline - Artists Sent to Moon On Aesthetic Tax Program - Government Balks On Effectiveness of Artists Creativity To Save The World

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery - 8 pages

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

Great sketch and story.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics