326 replies to this topic

#276 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Regina, SK, Canada

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Jerry,

Likely a paperback version would sell very well, many are eager to see this 2nd ed.

My observation of B72, the "Snake Nebula" would not have been possible without this work as reference, I tried everything but only bringing these plates into the field allowed the observation.

It hasn't made it in yet, hopefully they will print it in the spring. I have to live and observe with a book before I do a review, it's only fair, to many reviews just get fired in and a work like this needs proper justice.

-Chris

#277 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:57 AM

I'm not sure I understand what's wrong with the binding for field work. You open the book on a desk in the house; you open it on a table outside. What's the difference?
Unless you're holding it up at the eyepiece; then, you should probably get a music stand or something. Or make copies of the pages you want to hold up.
But the binding seems pretty solid to me.

Also, is a review really needed? It's not like this book is going to undergo any re-writing to improve it or anything. This is what Barnard wrote, and it's been high on a lot of want lists for many years. This is it, there's no other. Everyone who has it, appreciates what a masterpiece it is and is grateful for the opportunity to own one.

Well, on second thought, maybe a review would attract new observers who have never heard of it.

#278 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

I have been considering a second copy for field work-a paperback would be great.
Hope it comes out before star party season.

edj

#279 GDN

GDN

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Michigan

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

Chris,
Glad this was useful in locating B72 (the 'S' or Snake Nebula). That's the whole idea of reprinting this Atlas; to be USED by astronomers.
I agree on your viewpoint about 'reviews', the text should be read and studied before reviewing.

And Rick, the main point of reviews, im my humble opinion, is to bring the work to the attention of those who might be interested in the context and content. Not for revisions. There will be none. I wanted to add as little as possible to Barnard's original, just the J2000.0 Co-Ordinates and Plate 52: the completion of Barnard's desire to assemble the plates.

I'm taking notes on the paperback version. Maybe something with a spiral binding is possible.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek FRAS

#280 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Regina, SK, Canada

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

Jerry, a spiral bound version would be very useful.

Rick, People keep asking if it's worth the purchase & what differences between the online versions? There is also the entertainment value for those who may enjoy reading about this book.

Regarding the binding, it's not falling apart, far from it, it's just showing signs of wear from use and it's accompanied me in the field for about 1/2 my sessions since the spring. Reading a book straight through then occasionally references it will show far less wear than one used frequently outside under night time conditions.

So my primary criticism is that it's so useful as an observing text mine shows signs of wear. There are many books on my shelf that appear like new but the Barnard & Dobek 2nd Ed has never made it onto the shelf!

-Chris

#281 burb scope

burb scope

Messenger

• Loc: Canton, MI

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

Atlases, like telescopes, are to be USED in the field.
You can't have your cake and eat it too, so I tell people to buy one copy of something to use, and another copy to collect.

#282 GDN

GDN

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

Jerry, a spiral bound version would be very useful.

Rick, People keep asking if it's worth the purchase & what differences between the online versions? There is also the entertainment value for those who may enjoy reading about this book.

Regarding the binding, it's not falling apart, far from it, it's just showing signs of wear from use and it's accompanied me in the field for about 1/2 my sessions since the spring. Reading a book straight through then occasionally references it will show far less wear than one used frequently outside under night time conditions.

So my primary criticism is that it's so useful as an observing text mine shows signs of wear. There are many books on my shelf that appear like new but the Barnard & Dobek 2nd Ed has never made it onto the shelf!

-Chris

Thank you Chris! That one single comment makes all that work worth while. You have fulfilled MY deisire (as noted in the Foreword) for this Atlas.

Yes, Atlases are meant to be USED. And that is why I held to my convictions that it be printed with the Charts and Plates in their exact sizes: accuracy.

I hope that others will hear/read your words.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek FRAS

#283 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:24 AM

Atlases, like telescopes, are to be USED in the field.
You can't have your cake and eat it too, so I tell people to buy one copy of something to use, and another copy to collect.

:waytogo:

#284 GDN

GDN

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

The long wait is over.
I'm pleased to announce the release of a paperback version of Barnard's classic "A Photographic Atlas of Selected Regions of the Milky Way". Cambridge University Press has printed about 100 copies and is due for release in late August / early September 2014. The list price is $80 (USD), although I think the online bookstores are offering it for a little less. This paperback version will be the same size and format as the hardbound.

When this edition was first printed, CUP purchased an odd-sized paper, not normally used, for the printing of Barnard's Atlas. They printed about 700 copies of the hardbound Atlas, and have distributed nearly all copies. They have since printed another 100 of the hardbound and about 100 of the paperback version.

For those waiting for a lesser cost, or for something to use at the telescope, this paperback version may be a 'welcome addition'.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

#285 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

So all told, in both editions, less than 1000 copies have been printed??

#286 GDN

GDN

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Yes, less than 1 000 copies.

In sales recorded; 559 copies to date. This does not include samples, government holdings or others that would not be recorded as "sales". CUP has a few of the first run left, but decided to print another 100 hardbound. Printing about 100 paperbacks should use up the remaining run of over-sized paper they purchased just for this Atlas.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

#287 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Great news! I just pre-ordered a copy from Amazon: $71.XX + tax.

#288 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

Yes, and another of the 100 sold to me.

#289 jhors

jhors

Riddle me this

• Loc: Mesa, AZ

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Yes, and another of the 100 sold to me.

+1 :)

#290 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Is there a link? I couldn't find one

#291 jhors

jhors

Riddle me this

• Loc: Mesa, AZ

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

Amazon Link to Paperback Edition

It has an August 31, 2014 release date.

#292 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:13 AM

thanks

#293 opticsguy

opticsguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

I am just discovering this thread and the book. Looks like the book was printed in 2011? or 2010? So, are hardbound second editions available and where?

#294 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southwest

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

From the publisher.

#295 GDN

GDN

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

I am just discovering this thread and the book. Looks like the book was printed in 2011? or 2010? So, are hardbound second editions available and where?

This edition was published (call it 're-published') in the spring of 2011. There are still some hardbound editions available, from Cambridge University Press (CUP) as well as some from on-line vendors. Let me know if you need more info.
The paperback edition is due for release in late August or early September this year (2014). Same size and format as the hardbound edition.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

#296 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

6 Hardbound copies remaining at Amazon (I just bought number 7 after seeing this thread again and remembering that I wanted to get it).
Thanks for the reminder, Jerry!

#297 opticsguy

opticsguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

How to determine 1st and second editions? I see several hardbound books for sale online but no info on 1st or 2nd printing. I see a Publication date: 3/31/2011, is this first or second?

#298 GDN

GDN

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

How to determine 1st and second editions? I see several hardbound books for sale online but no info on 1st or 2nd printing. I see a Publication date: 3/31/2011, is this first or second?

The 1st (First) Edition was published in 1927. It contained two volumes; Plates and Descriptions, and Charts and Tables.

The 2nd (Second) Edition is a single volume (combining both into one) and is a 'Republished' printing. This is the one from Cambridge University Press (CUP) with a publication date of 2011. Only one 'Printing' to date.

Hope this helps to clarify. Let me know.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

#299 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

The 1st (First) Edition was published in 1927. It contained two volumes; Plates and Descriptions, and Charts and Tables.

The 2nd (Second) Edition is a single volume (combining both into one) and is a 'Republished' printing. This is the one from Cambridge University Press (CUP) with a publication date of 2011. Only one 'Printing' to date.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

This is confusing, as earlier you posted " They have since printed another 100 of the hardbound and about 100 of the paperback version." Isn't that a second printing of the second edition? I think this is what "Opticsguy" was referring to?

#300 GDN

GDN

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

This is confusing, as earlier you posted " They have since printed another 100 of the hardbound and about 100 of the paperback version." Isn't that a second printing of the second edition? I think this is what "Opticsguy" was referring to?

Since this Edition, 2011, has never really gone 'out of print' from CUP, all of these are considered First Printing Editions. We decided to print 700 in the initial run, not knowing how this Atlas would be received or how many would be sold. It has done so well, and there was interest in printing a soft-bound (paperback) version, that CUP has decided to print 100 copies of the paperback and another 100 copies of the hardbound version. This will probably use up all the 'odd-sized paper' that CUP purchased to print this Atlas. After these First Printing Atlases are sold out, it is undetermined whether or not a Second Printing will occur. IF a Second Printing is done in the future, I do not know if CUP would be willing to continue to purchase the 'odd-sized paper' necessary to print the Atlas without down-sizing the pages. IF the pages are down-sized to fit the standard sized paper, the Atlas would not remain accurate.

Hope this clears things up. Let me know.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics