Here is the true perspective on Steve's D&G. :smirk:

Bill

Attached Files

#27 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Utah

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

The wide angle lens makes the 8"f/12 and my belly look larger than they really are. :lol:

The CGE has been a wonderfull investment. A great mount. I was sad last week to think it might be "going away".

#28 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

Is this better and where is it going?

Bill

Attached Files

#29 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

The wide angle lens makes the 8"f/12 and my belly look larger than they really are. :lol:

Steve, Are you in that picture? ... all I can see is scope, and more scope. :bigshock:

Bill, Steve has been telling us about the 8" for a while. It makes the CGE look like a department store mount ... and Steve a midget :lol:
It's nice to see a good shot of it. Thanks.

#30 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

Here is a better image of the CGE with his "little" 6" D&G.

Bill

Attached Files

#31 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

Hey Steve!(and George! :D )

I was wondering if you have had a chance to check out the drive accuracy of the CGE after your teardown,clean,re-grease, and reassembly?
Does it run a bit more smooth now?

I am getting my CGE next week. I have owned one in the past and loved it. But after owning an Atlas and seeing the difference a HyperTune made, I am kicking around the idea of tearing down the CGE for atleast a good cleaning and re-lube with SuperLube. And obviously getting the gear/worm mesh nice and perfect..

Just curiosity. have been following the thread.

Congrats on getting everything back up and running!!
My CGE needs a complete electronics pier workup. It does not come with the pier as it was stolen, so I ordered ALL of the components and boards from Celestron and am going to build it myself..but, all total, this will cost me $1k! So I am hoping it works out.. :fingerscrossed:

Take care!!

#32 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

Hey Steve!(and George! :D )

I was wondering if you have had a chance to check out the drive accuracy of the CGE after your teardown,clean,re-grease, and reassembly?
Does it run a bit more smooth now?

I am getting my CGE next week. I have owned one in the past and loved it. But after owning an Atlas and seeing the difference a HyperTune made, I am kicking around the idea of tearing down the CGE for atleast a good cleaning and re-lube with SuperLube. And obviously getting the gear/worm mesh nice and perfect..

Just curiosity. have been following the thread.

Congrats on getting everything back up and running!!
My CGE needs a complete electronics pier workup. It does not come with the pier as it was stolen, so I ordered ALL of the components and boards from Celestron and am going to build it myself..but, all total, this will cost me $1k! So I am hoping it works out.. :fingerscrossed:

Take care!!

Brent:

That is a hard question for me to answer. I am a 100% visual kind of guy. So while fairly long periods of tracking have been accurate enough to keep things in the eyepiece I cannot tell you if the tracking on "my" CGE is good enough for AP.

I bought my mount used and after using it for three years I started to experience some challenges with it just three weekends ago. Prior to that my gotos have been dead on and tracking has been great for my visual needs. Those challenges appear to be fixed now.

I found some signs of use but no metal or any other undesired material in the lube that was in the mount. I found the lubricant that was used was not in any way a sticky or thick lubricant. Nothing but the good stuff here.

I believe the reset mentioned above cured my problems as outlined in my original post. I am pleased I tore the mount down. I know what kind of shape it is in now. (peace of mind)

Your project sounds ambitious but doable and I'm sure you will end up with a great mount.

Keep us posted.

#33 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:37 AM

Hey Steve!
Yea, I knew you were a mainly visual guy, I just figured that with an 8"F12 refractor, you would notice some bad tracking fairly quickly.
I have never taken apart a CGE yet, but I dont think it is too big an issue. I am fine with electronics/components..it is just the mechanical stuff that I am not too keen on. I mean, I have a bit of experience with most things like this(I think they say: "a jack of all trades,and a master of none.."..LOL).So I am confident I can atleast relap the gears/worm,etc. I am only concerned with the meshing.
Is the purpose to get a tight fit, with no play? those are the kind of things I will be needing help with.

The Celestron PC-Boards showed up Saturday, and the mount will be here this week sometime..
I also have the Losmandy MA Pier/Tripod Adapter for the mount to sit into(since I do not have an electronics pier). And am waiting on it before I build my electronics box so I can use the Losmandy Drive brackets on the pier adapter to hold the electronics for the CGE...I think it will work out pretty well.. :praying:

I will check back with updates.and maybe send ya a PM if I hit any snags with the mount itself..lol

Thanks again for the response!

#34 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:15 AM

Brent:

Please do keep me posted and feel free to P.M. and ask questions if you like. I might just be guessing but if I can help, I will.

I assume there are actual measurements for backlash and end to end play in the gearing with tools to measure it. Since I started my mechanic career on a ring and pinnion gear in a early 60's Chevrolet things have changed. I guess now days I just have a feel for where it will work. It works for me but may not be good enough for long exposure photography.

Looking forward to your progress.

#35 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:03 PM

Does the FAA require a flashing red light on the tip of those things? :question:

:roflmao:

David

#36 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:41 PM

Does the FAA require a flashing red light on the tip of those things? :question:

:roflmao:

David

No but from where I observe, if I point the telescope West I have to set the handbox for a different timezone. :grin:

#37 Don Allen

Don Allen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charleston, SC

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

"No but from where I observe, if I point the telescope West I have to set the handbox for a different timezone."

:funny:

#38 mikeinfortmyers

mikeinfortmyers

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

Steve, I was trying to find a closeup picture of your CGE. You have an extension? This is exactly what I need for my CGE and F12 refractor. Did you make it or is it available somewhere?

Mike

#39 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

Lot's of PM's sent.

Thanks Mike!

#40 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

But since you asked, I did find a picture of it as well.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics