• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle

Kyle

Explorer 1

• Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

Hello Everyone,
Anyone have any experience with this mount? I haven't been able to find any feedback about it at all.
I am looking for something suitable to hold an AP130 gran turismo. I have been researching alt-azimuth mounts to make a grab-an-go setup. The Gibraltar 5 looks nice and was made to hold the np127, about the same weight as the ap130gt.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, even on other mount suggestions.

Thanks,
Kyle

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

The Gibraltar(5) head has worked out well with my NP-127, but that maybe due to the Petzval lens design which gives the ota an even weight through out the length as opposed to the GT 130 which is perhaps nose heavy. I also have the Gilbraltar-5 head mounted on a Vixen HAL 130 tripod with half-piller that allows pointing the tube near zenith without interfering with the tripod legs as well as a TV focusmate with electric driver that allows for vibration free high power fine focus.

Also keep in mind how you are going to attach the GT-130 to the G-5 saddle. After getting annoyed with the clumsiness of using the TeleVue bat-wing screw method, I went with an ADM Vixen saddle to safely mount the NP-127 with a Vixen dovetail bar onto the G-5 cradle.

So in conclusion, I'll say maybe, maybe not, the Gilbraltar 5 is a good a match for the AP 130.

P.S. You'll probably get a lot of recommendations to go for a Discmount setup, instead.

Hope that helps. ;)

#3 Kyle

Kyle

Explorer 1

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

I've looked at the Discmount 6 model, $1200 just for the head seems steep. What i would really like is a beefer version of the vixen porta mount, as I really love the slo motion handles for tracking at high powers. I wish more alt-azimuth mounts came with these.

#4 mountain monk

mountain monk

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Grand Teton National Park

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

Kyle,

A search in the Mounts Forum will turn up lots of old posts on the Gibraltar 5. Also search for the T-REX. I think it has slow motion handles. I ended up with the DM-6 and like it very much.

Dark skies.

mm

#5 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

You might consider a Universal Astronomics deluxe alt-az head - less expensive than the Disc Mount and T-Rex. The UA mount is rated for 40 lbs. I've never used one, though, so I can't provide a clue as to how well it works. Maybe someone else can provide some wisdom on that. Price-wise, it's in the neighborhood of what the TV mount goes for.

As far as the DM-6 and the T-Rex go - yes, they're expensive, but they do the job very well. I've had the DM-6 and have the T-Rex now - you can't go wrong with either one of them.

John :refractor:

#6 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:29 PM

I'd give the Unistar Deluxe some consideration. I tried my NP-127 on one and thought it was decent, though the Gilbralter 5 had a some what smoother motion on the azimuth axis due to the ota being situated directly above the pivot as opposed to slightly off the side with the Unistar. The Unistar is a more compact design compared to the G-5 and would be easier to pack up or stow away.

#7 Kyle

Kyle

Explorer 1

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:02 AM

That t-rex mount looks interesting, never heard of it before. The marketing for it is a bit cheesey...T-Rex, built to withstand the next-extinction level event. :p

#8 Lt 26

Lt 26

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

Kyle, I have a Gib5 for my TV102. I did not think that much of it until purchasing a set of Parallax Rings. This and about 5 pounds of weight in the tray, you my want a little more.

If set up right {balanced at about 45 degree} it will take several ounces of weight change. I use very little or no tension on the brass knobs and it tracks like a dream.

I make sure the spikes are in tight and pushed into the grass. Also use an one and a half inch thick strap around the lower legs.

I do not think your scope is to large for this mount. The cost is much less than the $2,000 plus to build up a DM6 setup.

Wish all my stuff was as simple and rugged. Leave it set up, does not take up much space. Can carry it out and stick it in the ground in about 15 seconds.

Dereck

#9 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:48 PM

That t-rex mount looks interesting, never heard of it before. The marketing for it is a bit cheesey...T-Rex, built to withstand the next-extinction level event. :p

Hey, in California that's always a possibility! :lol:

John :refractor:

#10 Mike W

Mike W

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

How did you mount the Gib head on a Hal 130. I called Televue and they said it won't fit?
Mike

#11 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hello Everyone,
Anyone have any experience with this mount? I haven't been able to find any feedback about it at all.
I am looking for something suitable to hold an AP130 gran turismo. I have been researching alt-azimuth mounts to make a grab-an-go setup. The Gibraltar 5 looks nice and was made to hold the np127, about the same weight as the ap130gt.

Thanks,
Kyle

It would work, though I think you might find it a little flexible in a breeze with that much weight on it.

I recommend the Explore Scientific Twilight II mount for that heavy a load. Fairly inexpensive, too. A little more difficult for "Grab'N'Go" if you aren't reasonably strong.

One thing's for certain, though--the Gibralter Mount passes the "wife-approval-to-store-in-the living-room" test.

#12 la200o

la200o

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Don't have the 5, but I have a Gibraltar; after pretty much abandoning it for a few years, I'm using it a lot now and think it's a good mount. It takes a little adjusting in the altitude axis and a little lube (chapstick or something similar) to make it smooth in azimuth, but it's simple, strong, steady. I think the 5 was designed explicitly for the 127 and you should be fine. I'd look for a used one. They don't come up nearly as often as the standard Gibraltar, but there are some good deals, and since the mount is so simple, there ain't much to go wrong.

Bill

#13 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

How did you mount the Gib head on a Hal 130. I called Televue and they said it won't fit?
Mike

It was actually attached to "modified" Vixen Half-piller.

No, it's not going to fit on the HAL 130, unless you hack saw of the azimuth post(what I did to the half-piller) or make a adapter for the G-5 to sit on. The G-5 has a 3/8" threaded stud that can slip through the HAL 130 or Vixen Piller M10 thread and then fastened with G-5's Rosseta knob. Not the most elegant solution, but works.

#14 Mike W

Mike W

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hal 130 for the Sphynx mount has no post. (Or the porta II Hal 130)

#15 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

I have a DiskMount DM6 and I do not think you will find a better mount. I had a AP130 GT and if I still owned it, that is the mount it would be on.
Rex

#16 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
Kyle

For alt-az I put my 130 GT on a Universal Astronomics Unistar Light on a Gitzo 5 series CF tripod. Smooth alt-az movement, smoother in az than my Gibraltar, and sturdy enough to hold the scope for visual use. The Unistar Deluxe would be even more stable.

#17 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

If I'm not mistaken, a DM-4 would handle a 130GT but not all 5" OTAs. Then there is whatever iteration Half Hitch in current production - I think the manufacturer has targeted the 5" class with one of his new mounts. Neither offer true slo-mo cable arrangements like the T-Rex but then again, devotees of both (and I've owned/own both DM-4/DM-6, and 2 different HH's) often argue that slo-mo cables aren't necessary ( I concur - unless of course you really want slo-mo cables). My reason for suggesting the DM and HH mounts in particular is raw performance, I also think the designs and materials are excellent (and USA made if that matters to you).

I've had a lot of mixed feelings about the Gilbraltar mounts and yet I've owned several over the years. The don't offer the raw performance of the other mounts mentioned (and won't reach zenith) but on the other hand, they are indeed well built, simple, utilitarian and attractive looking.

My general opinion is that the mount and legs are as important, if not more so than the OTA. A premium refractor deserves a premium mount and tripod. Were I wanting to go the Alt/Az route (rather than a GEM) I wouldn't put my 140EDF on anything less than a DM-6 (or maybe a T-Rex but no direct experience there) paired with something like the old AP/Baader wood tripod (or Berlebach Planet) or a pier - not exactly grab and go.

If you can live without slo-mo cables, I'd ask other 130GT owners if they feel a DM-4 is sufficient (DM-6 is just too heavy for me as grab and go). paired with a great tripod (e.g., 5-series Gitzo as Gus mentioned if weight absolutely critical, or a Discmounts or Berlebach). Only problem with the otherwise rock solid Discmount tripod is lack of adjustable legs, IMHO.

Photo of my latest interpretation on grab and go: the old Traveler with DM-4 and tripod attached. Take a look here for DM-4 130GT examples....

Attached Files

#18 skullpin

skullpin

Ranger 4

• Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

If I'm not mistaken, a DM-4 would handle a 130GT but not all 5" OTAs.

I have a DM-4 and it held a TeleVue NP127is just fine. A similar weight as the 130GT, though a somewhat longer moment arm.

Very steady, I could focus at the highest powers with almost no shake visible. I tightened up the altitude axis to handle eyepiece changes up to 600g and the motion was smooth. Larger eyepieces might push the limits of the mount, requiring the altitude axis to be tightened up to the point of being stiff. I am sure the DM-4 can handle even larger and heavier scopes, though eyepiece changes may become more sensitive.

#19 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hi Kyle,

I discussed the GB5 for my EDF130 with David Nagler a few years ago. He advised me not to use this combo, since the center of gravity of the A-P 130 ota is not located correctly with respect to the altitude pivot point on the the GB5.

You might give TeleVue a call and ask them about your GT130 and GB5.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics