Photo

Orion 127 Maksutov Cassegrain

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

I have a chance at jumping on one of these, (not literally, :lol:)

http://www.telescope...grain-telescope

I might buy this telescope but need to know if it will suffice on a heavy duty tripod. I read a whole bunch of reviews and everybody said the optics are first rate for planetary and the moon and this is what I want it for.

I just need to know if it can be used on a tripod for viewing planets and the moon and if the views will be fairly steady on a tripod.

#2 doctordub

doctordub

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: New Rochelle, New York

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

Hi Markus, I posted this in another thread;

"I had a chance to use my Orion 127 MCT last night to observe the Moon and Jupiter. Seeing allowed me to view up to 300X without image breakdown. I use the Orion SCT adapter so I can use my 2" diagonals. Star test from the factory were excellent with Polaris and indoors with my Hubble Artificial Star at 60'. I would say for planetary work it compares well with my TV102. I use it on my lightest goto mount iOptron Cube."

CS

#3 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

Thanks a lot Johnathan !! Looks like this scope is a WINNER !!!

#4 Yannis

Yannis

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:43 AM

Yes I agree! I have the Skywatcher (same telescope) and it is perfect for moon/planets. Needs no collimation, it is durable.

I use it for visual frequently on camera tripods and my feelings are mixed. I have the Manfrotto carbon fiber 055CXPRO4 with 468MGRC4 head. I found:

a) The telescope has fairly long focal length (1540mm). When viewing planets you need high magnification. So even when I bring the Hydrostatic Ball head's friction to the one that just holds the telescope, it is difficult to point. You need the fine-tuning knobs of an equatorial mount.

B) The tripod vibrates since the telescope is heavy compared to a camera. If you do not touch it though you can get good views.

c) Since it is not that heavy, adding a Vixen dovetail to this telescope and using any cheap equatiorial mount that came with any starter telescope, improves the feeling a lot. I frequently use the mount that came with 130EQ - no problems.

Keep in mind that with this OTA you can easily do even astrophotography. It is my favorite travel scope. See attached image as a sample. It is not the best this telescope can do, I just quickly found one sample.

Astrophotography setup was:
a) Skywatcher Maksutov 127 + Canon EOS 450D unmodified (imaging) – Prime focus + Red-dot finder
B) TS 80/400 Guidescope + ALCCD5 guide camera (guiding). Both telescopes are on a parallel mount.
c) PHD guiding
d) NEQ-6 Skyscan, ALCCD5 connected to ST-4 port
e) Location: Filyro, Thessaloniki, Greece. 05/07/2010 at 23:00 till 01:00
f) Exposure: 5x 5min light, 5x 5min dark frames.
g) No filters, correctors, etc. used
h) Processing: Deep-Sky-Stacker + Photoshop

Attached Files

#5 Pauls72

Pauls72

Viking 1

• Loc: LaPorte, IN

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

I have the Orion 102mm MAK as a grab and go scope, smaller version of the same scope. At first I tried it on a camera tripod. I was not too happy with it, it was hard to find things and stay on them. With no counter weights and no fine adjustment controls the thing would point every way but what you wanted it too. I bought one of these cheap Meade EQ mounts with slow motion controls off of ebay. Having a balanced mount that you can make fine movements made a world of difference. I'm very happy with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item53e3da9d94

#6 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

Thanks you guys !!! I recall seeing an EQ mount with slo-mo controls at a store 5 min away from me....that would compliment this scope perfectly !!! :jump:

Yannis: That globular image is incredible !!! :shocked:

#7 Yannis

Yannis

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

I really do not know how much better a good refractor can be, it will be (I do not want to start wars here) but for a scope that costs 1/10 of the price of an equivalent APO, it is a damn good telescope!

Make sure to get the 2" eyepiece adaptation. This scope worked fine even with my Hyperion 31 eyepiece. Also it makes connecting cameras far more easy.

It has no problems with backfocus. I mean none! It focused even with the Celeston Off-axis guider!

I am still in search of a good-quality, focal reducer for astrophotography. I tried with the TS 0.5x reducer (2") but I get only 75% of the QHY9 frame illuminated properly. I am searching something in the range of 0.66x - 0.8x so as to bring down the f/ratio to f/8 or lower.

If you use it in a yard, that has any street-lights or similar objects close by, I suggest you use a dew-shield (from Orion or even home-made) because in some angles, stray light hitting the Maksutov corrector shows artifacts inside.

I got also from Teleskop-service a Vixen/Skywatcher dovetail meant for cameras (PSFotoDel) . I attached this at the bottom of the OTA with three screws and I use it regularly on my mounts. I could not find a Vixen dovetail that would fit exactly at the holes of the OTA and I am too lazy to start drilling holes and cutting dovetails.

#8 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

If you're buying used, be sure the after market visual back adapters that allow the use of standard SCT components (such as 2" diagonals and focal reducers) fits-- Some slightly earlier models have a different thread on them, which will not fit the adapter ring. I have a (used) grey-tube Orion 127 Mak on which the after market adapting ring will not thread (different thread pitch). If the current owner doesn't know for sure, and/or it's not a really recent model, I'd consider carefully getting one which you KNOW the adapter will fit, or buy new.

#9 Pauls72

Pauls72

Viking 1

• Loc: LaPorte, IN

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

With the use of a T-Ring you can use it as a long telephoto lens on your 35mm DSLR or SLR. Sorry about the darkness of the second picture, but it was not taken the same day and it was right at dusk.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 elwaine

elwaine

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Jupiter

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:51 AM

Markus,

I might buy this telescope but need to know if it will suffice on a heavy duty tripod.

Just what do you mean by a "heavy duty tripod?" There are some tripods (both wooden and metal - and even some carbon fiber) that will support a total weight of 44 - 55 lb. (depending on model).

#11 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:51 PM

Congratulations on the 'scope. I just bought a used example of the same instrument and am extremely happy with it.

Being far too eager to try it out when it arrived I tried it on a cheap camera tripod. The difficulty is in aimimg and fine adjusting with enough control to bring the desired objects into the field. On my LXD75 mount, it is superb... but a lesser mounting might offer plenty of support.

Optically, I'm very pleased with the 'scope. Although there has been limited time to use and assess it so far, I have been impressed with the quality of images.

Cheers,

Ed

#12 ahlberto

ahlberto

Apollo

• Loc: lisbon-portugal

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

They are amazing scopes.I use to have the 90mm and the 127mm from skywatcher and they are cracking lunar and planetary scopes

#13 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:00 AM

Thanks fellow astronomers !!!! I checked it out on the moon and Jupiter last night. At first we couldn't get it to sit right on my tripod so we went ahead with some views anyways after we added a couple of washers under the scope because the mounting screw was too long ~ I had a longer screw on my tripod for the "L" braket when I had my 15x80 binocs.

The view of jupiter @ 128x was incredible to say the least !!! :shocked: Super crisp views with zero CA anywhere. I then star tested polaris on it at about 192x......diffraction rings inside of focus showed perfectly round even diffraction rings....outside of focus was almost the same....the scope was not fully cooled so a test will be in order at a later date.

Overall, I was really happy with the views it gave me of the moon and Jupiter.....more later when I get this on a better mount. I fixed the problem and re-mounted it on my tripod with solid results. it came with a 2" visual back so I can get a 2" diagonal when needed and 2" eyepiecs.

It seems as though Kermit likes it too. :lol:

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics