• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:38 AM

The KAF-8300 is a complete mismatch for the EdgeHD 14". The KAF-0900 is the best match for the HD14.

Okay sure thing Alph. Theoretically sound advice. I'll just go shell out more than twice as much for the camera as I did for the scope itself. Oh yea, I forgot, I'm not made of money. I think I'll just bin 2x2 or even 3x3 instead. But thanks for the advice anyway.

BTW, anyone had a chance to image with their Lepus yet?

#27 David Williams

David Williams

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hi: Maybe I need a Mickey Mouse mouse? Just kidding.

Well as for me, I'd got a Meade LX200GPS 10" F10 on a wedge in a 10'X10' roll-off roof observatory. And a Canon Rebel T2i (DSLR) at 18 megapixels (it's got good sensitivity and white balance) but not a real CCD. Then an ST-237A CCD and finally my mom helped me and we broke down and bought an ST-2000XCM CCD. Now that last one seemed to have a right-hand edge defect which was a virticle band with dots. But the CCD was used, at $1600

I've heard that the ST-237A (which is good as an autoguider) can be used seperately as an autoguider like if you piggyback a nice APO refractor (something like F5-6 would be good) and use that with the ST-237A. Then it would have the extra benefit of not having the filter to look through so a dimmer guide star could be used. PS: you want/need the autoguider to be pointed the same way as your main scope, so there isn't any field rotation.

PPS: I'd recommend checking around still. The New CCD Astronomy book by Ron Wodaski is good. And Ice In Space forum (even though in the Southern Hemisphere) is good as well as this CN place. Sometimes Astronomy clubs can help.

I'm thinking about going up, in megapixels from my 2 with the 2000XCM to the Celestron or Orion (Parsec), 10 megapixel equivalent. However I've heard that their Celestron CCD has a Maxim lite software that supports it that crashes when doing imaging. I hope you check into that.

Besh wishes and clear skies.
David

#28 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

I'm not sure you can even get the ST-2000xm new, unless it's NOS (new old stock). SBIG discontinued the entire ST line, except maybe the 8300. But if you're really interested in one, send me a PM.

#29 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

An un-related comparison here...; if you are new to imaging, may be it would be better to start with DSLR and then work your way into CCD.

A DSLR idea here...; a review here...; some imaging results here....

On a side note some image processing instructions here....

#30 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I started with a used ST-7E. If CCD is what you want to do, then dive in and do it. I did have the help of some on-site tutoring from friends who were already doing CCD imaging.

#31 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

I agree with Calypte. Get a cooled CCD if you can afford it. First off, OSC isn't 'easy' and DSLRs while cheap and readily available aren't sensitive until you mod them out (and make them worthless for regular photography).

The difference in image size is significant between an ST-2000 and a 8300. I guess it just depends on what you're trying to image and the pixel size/image scale you want. The 2000 has a 'better' chip in regards of QE and the statistics side of things... the 8300 is 'newer' and costs a little more.

Personally, I just got a ST-10XME and I'm flabbergasted by its ability to gather light. Those older CCDs were awesome :).

#32 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

• Loc: Sooke, BC , Canada

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Modding a DSLR does not make it worthless for regular photography. :ohgeeze:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics