• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

Hi All,

In late October I set up the TMB 175mm (7") apo refractor to observe a double shadow transit on Jupiter by Ganymede and Europa. Later I observed Uranus. Here are my observing notes and link to a sketch of Jupiter. The seeing was good for Jupiter at first but later became mostly fair with
mid-level clouds obscuring the view from time to time.

On Jupiter the southern portion of the globe the South Polar Region (SPR), South Temperate Zone (STZ), South Temperate Belt (STB), and South Tropical Zone (STropZ) were visible. The outline of the South Equatorial Belt (SEB)
was visible, and was slightly darker than the Equatorial Zone (EZ) which appeared shaded. The SEB north (SEBn) had an irregular outline.

The shadow of Ganymede was visible near the preceding limb on the left in the STZ, as were several ovals. The shadow of Europa was visible in the SEB. The SPR was gray green in color.

In the Equatorial Zone (EZ) two festoons were visible along the North Equatorial Belt south (NEBs). The base of these festoons was blue in color. A bay was visible between the festoons and two red ovals were visible in the North Equatorial Belt (NEB). The NEB had a reddish-brownish color to it, and appeared uneven along the NEB north (NEBn).

In the northern portion of the globe the North Tropical Zone (NTrZ), North Temperate Belt (NTB), North Temperate Zone (NTZ), and North Polar Region (NPR) were visible. The NTB had several knots or thicker sections to it. The NPR was tan-brown color.

Limb darkening was noticeable on following limb of the globe.

When the seeing settled down the moons appeared as disks.

Here is a link to the sketch of Jupiter:

Jupiter Sketch

After finishing the above sketch I swung the telescope over to observe Uranus. It was resolved as a disk with a blue-green color. There appeared to be a lighter colored area near the center of the disk. A few years ago I observed Uranus with the same telescope and there were times when one of the polar regions appeared darker than the other polar region, and there appeared to be a lighter zone or belt near the equator on the following limb.

Clear Skies,

Eric Jamison

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:16 AM

Eric,

Great sketch and report. The moon shadows on the faint SEB are very impressive.
I like the nice festoons you saw and included which I only see when the seeing is near perfect.

Frank :)

#3 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:52 AM

:waytogo:
You're TMB must be a beautiful telescope to observe with!

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:14 AM

Eric,

An excellent observation and report of Jupiter and Uranus. The two transit shadows (Europa and Ganymede) must have been impressive. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:17 AM

Eric,

Thanks for posting your report and sketch. A double transit is a great thing to see. The SEB is faint and quiet in your sketch, but present, just as it has appeared up until the recent outbreak. Nicely done!

#6 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The seeing was only fair when I observed Jupiter but I tried to make as accurate sketch as possible.

Best,

Eric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics