• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#26 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

Scanning4Comets,

I saw almost the same amount of detail last sunday night without anything you listed...mono viewing to boot in my 127mm Mak !!!

Good job! A binoviewer, M&SG and other filters, apodizing mask (when appropriate), etc. has allowed me to squeeze out those last few subtle details. I notice an obvious improvement in visual acuity when I switch from monoview - even with a great eyepiece like the Vixen LVW - to binoviewing, yes even with the much-maligned Epic ED-2s.

I used to use ND and polarizing filters to view planets and it helped reduce irradiation on the planet immensely....with the ND filter, I saw a wealth of detail on Jupiter with festoons, etc.

Of course, you should use whatever works for you, but I've yet to see an improvement on any object when using ND or polarizing filters. If I have room in the equipment box I bring them along, though I virtually never use them. Often it seems that observers either love them or hate them. Well, I don't hate them, I just haven't seen that they do me any good. I might give them another try. But I would advise you to get a Baader M&SG instead, or see if an observing buddy has one that you can borrow.

Your other drawing HERE shows way more detail...I guess that baader filter would help see more detail...and maybe a few more things you mentioned...I did see lots of detail before but am willing to try new techniques to see more.

Much of the time when the drawing shows more detail, it's because Jupiter showed more detail! On the other hand, I try not to put anything on a sketch that I don't actually see. My goal is to show as closely as possible what I see in the eyepiece. Sometimes I experiment with turning up the contrast in my software so that some details can be seen more easily by people looking at the sketch. But if I do that too much, the result is that some of the fine details - especially those in the EZ and the resurgent SEB - will be much easier to see when you look at the sketch than they could be seen at the telescope. That's when people will remark that, "Such-and-such feature wasn't really that dark, was it?" No, but if I sketch it as soft and subtle as it was in the eyepiece, you might not see it on the drawing!

In the drawing I posted in the current thread, I toned down the contrast to give a better impression of how these finer details appear when I look in the eyepiece. Actually, I'd rather do this and make the person looking at my sketch struggle a little to tease out the festoons and networking in the EZ and SEB. That gives them a better feel for how these things really appear.

For many of these sketches of Jupiter that experienced observers post on CN, I bet most people would not have seen a lot of the finer detail that's on the sketch if they had looked in the eyepiece themselves. That's just the way it is.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics