APT or Backyard EOS

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 UniversalMaster

UniversalMaster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:25 PM

Thanks! I wasn't really sure if the "Automatic Lens focusing - use the Lens Panel" feature would do this or not. Any plans to add ascom focuser control?

#27 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Sofia-Bulgaria

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

Automatic Lens focusing is designed to work only with lens. Currently I'm working on manual control for ASCOM focusers. Also there are plans for automatic focusing, but I still don't have the needed hardware to test it, so can't give exact estimate when this feature will be implemented.

#28 UniversalMaster

UniversalMaster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

Automatic Lens focusing is designed to work only with lens. Currently I'm working on manual control for ASCOM focusers. Also there are plans for automatic focusing, but I still don't have the needed hardware to test it, so can't give exact estimate when this feature will be implemented.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Shoestring FCUSB can control an Orion AccuFocus motor. I think that is about the cheapest ascom-motor-focus you can get, without DIYing :grin:

#29 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

Søren, many thanks for the help! I'll investigate if AccuFocus can be fitted to my WO ZS 110 :)

#30 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Howdy All,

My first post here, name is Mitch, located on Cape Cod of the coast of South Eastern Massachusetts in USA...

Presently I'm fumbling around trying to decide what software to use for a computer controlled imaging system.

I'm presently testing both APT and BYEOS and have both demo versions up and running (individually of course)...

First comment I'd like to make is to thank Ivo for our recent communications, I have a vision problem that causes red on black computer screens to cause me a great deal of eye strain and are unusable, on loading the demo and seeing only red on black screens, I sent Ivo a message asking if a solution was available and I received a prompt reply with a solution, and I'm able to run APT now with the gray/white skin which works very well for me...

Ivo, Thank You for your prompt response and fix...

However, now that I can run either APT and BYEOS and make comparisons, I'm finding APT seems to have problem with saving images at the location/path that I set whereas BYEOS has no problem doing this... Its a minor problem I suspect and not going to interfere with my testing now that I've figured out where/how APT has created a variation of the path I set, but this is a subject for further investigation once I have concluded my testing...

Unfortunately where I live, weather is a major issue, I'm plagued with fog, clouds, and more rain than we've had mid summer in may years. Also having equipment issues with a failed mount control computer interface now waiting on parts to arrive which is another complicated matter by going through a distributor to the manufacturer who seems to be in no hurry responding...

I'm also in the process of deciding on which/how to do focus control and have yet to place a purchase order for the focus motor/control system as I want to be sure of software compatibility first before spending the money...

It looks at this point the focuser will be the JMI smart focus system and will be mounted on a ES127 ED/APO refractor scope... I would appreciate any advise and comments anyone has to offer on the subject of remote focus control...

Thanks to all for any comments and advice...

Clear Skies

#31 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

I have both, and use BYEOS. It's interface is more intuitive (IMHO), and therefore easier to use.

Guylain (the BYE Dev), is an astronomer, and has much the same hours as us. I have posted a question in the Yahoo group, and had a response within a half hour. YMMV, of course.

I just dont care for limited demos, APT isnt a fully unlocked demo, all of its features arent available until you buy, BYE on the other hand is completely unrestricted.

Both are good, to me BYE is great!

Andy

#32 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

Thank you Mitch for your kind words! I don't have other reports for problems with file saving. If you need more info on this please send a mail and I'll answer on your questions.

Andy, thank you too for the positive mentioning of APT! BTW I'm into this hobby too :) Take a look on my gallery link in the signature...

One can tell that I'm defending my project too actively here. And maybe he will be right, but this is the destiny of a project coming from a small country, from the other side of the ocean, that doesn't have access to the marketing machine - astro shows, magazines and etc.

#33 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

APT; I love free software. I appreciate fellow hobbyists sharing their efforts with us for free.
The only way you will get software that does everything you want in the way you want to do it is to do it yourself. This requires a large amount of talent and time. After you invest that talent and time it is admirable to offer a free version.
All IMO; Don t.

#34 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Many thanks Don!

You are pointing the reason why the "demo" version is time unlimited ;) BTW in the next edition there will be more functions moved from the full to the free version.

#35 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

Backyard EOS now has a greyscale screen to aid in daytime use, perhaps this will aid your vision issue!

#36 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Thank you Mitch for your kind words! I don't have other reports for problems with file saving. If you need more info on this please send a mail and I'll answer on your questions.

Andy, thank you too for the positive mentioning of APT! BTW I'm into this hobby too :) Take a look on my gallery link in the signature...

One can tell that I'm defending my project too actively here. And maybe he will be right, but this is the destiny of a project coming from a small country, from the other side of the ocean, that doesn't have access to the marketing machine - astro shows, magazines and etc.

Ivo,
It looks like the problem I'm having when saving images is being caused by the Windows 7 Pro 64 bit operating system and is not the APT software.

Windows 7 seems to have created its own shortcut path to the image storage area and when I enter the full path in APT, Windows seems to remove what it considers to be redundant routing and as a result does not route according to the path as entered and yet seems unable to apply its own shortcut routing so I end up with a second Image library in a location other than the one I have specified or am expecting... Confusing but now that I know where the new image directory is located, its usable but another disappointment in the Windows 7 operating system...

#37 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

Mitch, it sounds strange. I'm using 32bits Win7 and have no such problems, but my user has administrator rights. Maybe this is the solution. I'll check when am back from my vacation.

#38 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

Ivo,

Enjoy your vacation, do not worry about Windows issues, enjoy your time away from it, my issue with Windows routing peculiarities is of little importance for the moment, it will wait...

#39 gmartin02

gmartin02

Viking 1

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

I like the look of Backyard EOS, I may get it. But I don't see system requirements, I am looking to get a Netbook or single core notebook.

I'm currently using BackyardEOS on an 8 year old Dell notebook - 1.3 Ghz Pentium M processor, 512 MB RAM, 1024x768 screen resolution, Windows XP.

It works perfectly for deep sky imaging. It does seem a little "laggy" for planetary live view imaging, but it still works.

I just thought I would post this because you don't necessarily need to buy a new laptop to use it if you already have an old laptop laying around. The best thing is that you can try the 30 day trial before purchasing if you want to try it on an older laptop without being out any money if it doesn't work for you.

I'm eventually going to get a new laptop, but for now I am up and running on the 8 year old laptop.

Greg

#40 DrGui

DrGui

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Manitoba, Canada

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Good day all.

Since I purchased both of these programs I felt compelled to add my two-cents worth. I do favor BYE over APT however. I find APT a takes me longer to setup (I need to think about my ap plan a bit more) while BYE gives me what I want more quickly and easily. (instant gratification eh) :)I have also had APT lock up on me which has NEVER happened with BYE.

I like APT a lot, it is feature packed and well written...but I prefer BYE because I find it easier to use and more reliable. And when your racing against the dew and the dawn you just don't want to waste time rebooting your laptop.

Just my two cents eh.

#41 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

I've been running a month long evaluation of APT and BYEOS along with looks at a few other camera control/capture softwares and have pretty much decided at this point that BYEOS is the most user friendly and easiest to use of them all.

Unfortunately where I am located, in a high humidity area known for its poor/inconsistent weather environment. This being Cape Cod, a peninsular jutting out from the coast on the corner of South Eastern New England, has the warm Gulf Stream on the south side and the cold waters of the North Atlantic on the north side with me located about 20 miles out from the coast in the Mid Cape Area, I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 usable nights a month, sometimes less to be able to do any serious imaging. Talk about fog capital of the world!

Point is, when I do get to do any imaging, being able to work efficiently is important and to this point, the two programs that work best for me has turned out to be BYEOS and Nebulosity and at present I have purchased both of these programs.

APT also interest me however the big deciding factor for me was the BYEOS focusing function combined with the ease of use in general. Nebulosity for pretty much the same reason however the big selling point to me was Nebulositys processing capability of the raw images once they are stacked. This is still an area I am investigating and as soon as Pixinsight releases their Version 2 upgrade this month, I intend to start a yrial period evaluation of Pixinsight.

In the meanwhile, BYEOS will be my primary camera control software of choice...

#42 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:26 AM

DrGui, you can always contact me. I'm truing to support APT as soon as possible and didn't see complains about this. I'm using APT in my imaging and never missed a frame with the official versions, and even the "in development" versions that I test myself under the skies are good enough to keep me running all night long ;)

Mitch, thank you for your honest review!

Looks like APT fans are more shy than BYE fans :D But I'll not leave my project in the river. There is significant interest to APT. More than 10 downloads of the "demo" version per day, that I observe constantly, are enough to keep me putting all possible efforts in the APT development :)

#43 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

Mitch, thank you for your honest review!

Looks like APT fans are more shy than BYE fans :D But I'll not leave my project in the river. There is significant interest to APT. More than 10 downloads of the "demo" version per day, that I observe constantly, are enough to keep me putting all possible efforts in the APT development :)

Ivo,

Your help in getting me a fix to the trial version and seeing it in daylight mode is something I will not forget...

At some point I plan to explore APT further under better conditions. Regrettably where I live allows summer weather conditions to play a huge factor when attempting to evaluate camera control/image capture software and with 70 year old eyes in the dark at night, trying to frame and achieve sharp focus with a EOS 60Da DSLR, two software packages quickly showed a distinct advantage, BYEOS and Nebulosity.

I'm not satisfied that APT received a full or fair evaluation under the limited circumstance of only having 2 or 3 clear usable nights during trial period when trying to evaluate half a dozen software packages, and it is my intent to come back to APT for further evaluation as it ran BYEOS a close second in my choice.

Having 30 day trial periods of most software packages, mainly BYEOS and Nebulosity, with only a few clear nights during the trial period forced me to make a quick decision, my point is that a 30 day trial period is hardly adequate under these conditions to be able to make a conclusive choice. I would suggest a 90 day trial period would be more fair under the circumstances...

I would strongly encourage you to keep pursuing your goals with APT, do not let my decision stand in your way as I think, down the road when time and conditions allow, APT deserves a better look when i have time to learn its intricacies and functionality to a more complete extent.

I thank you for your efforts and I intend to follow development of APT for future use, I have not ruled it out...

#44 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

Mitch,

Thank you for the encouragements!

I have the same problem with the trial periods, so when started APT decided that will not put such kind of limitation. APT has almost a full set of features and no time limits in the "demo" version, which in fact is making it a free alternative...

#45 bardo

bardo

Viking 1

• Loc: US

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:20 AM

I got APT because at the time it was the only one that supported my older camera. Still use and still really like it.

#46 RayM0506

RayM0506

Lift Off

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

I am one of those loud BYE fans. BUT To be fair and honest I did not even try your software. I tend to stick with what I try first and go from there. I will not try to compare BYE to, from what I read here, your fantastic program. Having said this, I am VERY glad to hear you say you will stick with this project. You have your own share of fans here and it would be a shame to stop development.

I, like many others here have mentioned, like the ease and user interface with BYE. I use it for deep sky AND planetary using the live-view mode. I like the frame and focus feature and have found it VERY useful in setting up shots. The only feature I have NOT used yet is the drift alignment screen. I have yet to figure that darned drift alignment out! LOL Thank god for the Nexguide auto guider!

A sample of the Planetary function of BYE can be seen here:
http://www.astrobin.com/20050/ and here: http://www.astrobin.com/20051/ people are always amazed that these are DSLR shots.

The zoom feature in the imaging window is great for making sure the stars are good and round. I shoot at 250% once the image is framed so I can ensure focus and tracking.

Tech support is great and the Yahoo group works great and is constantly monitered by the developer to answer questions.

So all this comes from several months of using BYE. As stated above I have NOT used APT, so can not give an accurate eval of it. I am SURE they are both GREAT programs and it boils down to different strokes for different folks.

I hope this has been helpful. BTW I use it on an old XP version Acer Netbook. Never had an issue.

#47 g__day

g__day

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

I've been using BYE for quite a while now, and APT for about a month. BYE is weeks away from a major upgrade. This next upgrade should give it better integration with Astro Tortilla freeware plate solving software. BYE already integrates with PHD, ASCOM controlled focusers and TEMPerHum USB devices very well.

It strikes me that BYE has a simpler, more intuitive user interface, and many well thought out features. APT has rather powerful imaging processing capability via plans - once you figure out how to use these. APT's telescope controls via ASCOM are more developed than BYE's at present.

Both versions have integration with ASCOM controllable focusers (but I'm am unsure how well either works with multiple telescopes, cameras and focusers on the same mount. I run a modified Canon 40D through a Meade focuser via a Shoestring astronomy breakout box on one OTA and a modified Canon 400D into a Moonlight controlled focuser on the another scope. Both current versions of BYE and APT (and all mixes of them controlling these cameras and focusers) get rather confused when I run both camera's simultaneously. I am hoping the next release of BYE may solve this.

The best success I have had so far is with BYE controlling the 40D and Meade motor focuser and APT running the 400D and control the motor focuser thru Moonlights own stand alone driver. Some nights is a total P.I.T.A. trying to connect both cameras to their respective controlling software - both APT and BYE want to grab the wrong camera and/or report its already in use. They both seem to want to grab the 400D - even though in BYE I specify do a driver search and tell it to search for Digic III or later models and try and tell APT to go for the Digic II 400D.

Both programs are well supported - BYE has a very active Yahoo community group and both are very good value for money in my opinion.

#48 schecter

schecter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

Do you happen to know whether Backyard EOS will run on Microsoft's new windows 8?

#49 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

Do you happen to know whether Backyard EOS will run on Microsoft's new windows 8?

Yes it does run on W8, it's fully supported.

Guylain

#50 Derrickh24

Derrickh24

Explorer 1

• Loc: Plainfield, Illinois

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

I can also verify that it runs flawlessly on Win 8.....

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics