Thanks John.

#327 Jwemes

Jwemes

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wickenburg, AZ

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

Hi All,
The temporary location ( October 6 only) for the Wickenburg Public Star Party will be the Rodeo Grounds parking lot. No special events are scheduled for the Rodeo Grounds that weekend. For those who have not been to our star parties in the past, Just before reaching the McDonalds on the Right side of US60, turn right on El Recreo. El Recreo becomes Constellation Rd and takes you to the Rodeo Grounds. We'll set up on the West side of the road parking lot-opposite the Rodeo Grounds proper. Look for a conditions report mid morning of October 6.

Clear, Dark, and Steady

#328 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

The FIRST Wickenburg Public Star Party of the "cooler" time of the year will be October 6. We may be forced to temporarily relocate to an alternate site, as Blue Tank Road needs to be bladed by the county. Monsoon rains have transported great quantities of sand, and Blue Tank has its share. If Yavapai county does not blade the road, we'll look at moving to the Vulture Peak Trailhead parking lot.

Although NOAA is making noises to suggest that next weekend is going to be dry, remember the weather we had last September. For those who missed it: Wind, followed by Haboob, followed by rain, followed by wind.

Stay tuned, updates will follow as soon as possible.

Clear, Dark, and Steady,
John W

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the possible temporary move to the alternate location. I've hiked that trail a couple of times, so at least I know where to go.

#329 Jwemes

Jwemes

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Just a reminder, that the Wickenburg Public Star Party will be this Saturday, 6 October,at the Rodeo Grounds parking lot. Look for a conditions report mid-morning on Saturday.

#330 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

Looking forward to the first star party of the new season!

#331 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

I'm hoping to attend. Passed the word to some interested folks at work with kids; maybe I can get one of them to show up. :)

#332 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

As long as these cirrus clouds don't get too thick, I'm heading out there! I'm planning on hitting Sun City West for lunch and read "Sky and Telescope" at the library, then do an early dinner in Wickenburg (hello, Anita's Cocina!). Oh, and check out Brad's telescope store.

Kevdog was telling me about a star party next week at Montezuma Wells State Park, wherever that is. If that's within a one-day's drive, I might go to that one, too! Anybody here hear about that one?

#333 Jwemes

Jwemes

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Here's the mid-morning sky and forecast report. At 10 AM local time, temp 80 degrees, wind is calm. Now, for the bad news. Cloud cover: High clouds at 95% coverage. CSC for all locations within 30 miles indicates that we should expect virtually total cloud cover and zero transparency. There is also the possibility that both CSC and NOAA are wrong, but then...there's also the possibility that tomorrow is Xmas!
NOAA is corrently indicating a possibility of rain for next Friday(a heads up for the All Arizona Star Party) Look for a soon-to-be posting for an on-the-bridge Astronomy Day outreach on October 20.
Thanks for reading this far, and keeping fingers crossed for November,
John W

#334 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

So it looks "iffy" at best, then; it almost sounds like a cirrostratus layer might be moving in. We've pretty much killed any possibility of the event? Maybe I'll just do lunch and a car show in Glendale then.

What's the date of next month's event? If it's on the 3rd, I'll be missing that one as "Modelzona," the show put on by my local chapter of the International Plastic Modelers' Society is in Mesa.

#335 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

John; do you have dates for the rest of the year? I've got folks in Phoenix interested in coming up.

#336 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

So it looks "iffy" at best, then; it almost sounds like a cirrostratus layer might be moving in. We've pretty much killed any possibility of the event? Maybe I'll just do lunch and a car show in Glendale then.

As it turned out, the cars were the stars. This was an all-Ford car show by Sanderson Ford, and aside from the usual classic Mustangs and T-birds, there was a '56 Crown Victoria, a big black '53 Merc and a '47 Lincoln Continental! :drool5:

#337 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

John; do you have dates for the rest of the year? I've got folks in Phoenix interested in coming up.

Yeah. I just moved to the Valley, and would like to meet some of my fellow CN members.

Heck - I've been a member for 7 yrs, and have met exactly ONE CNer (I DID have a nice talk with Ron a few days ago, so I guess that counts as two... ;)).

#338 Jwemes

Jwemes

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

The next scheduled Wickenburg Public Star Party is on 11/3. If Yavapai County blades the road in time, we'll be at Sophies' Flat. The following Star Party is on 12/1.
I haven't talked with any of the usual co-conspirators regarding Astronomy Day/Night possibilities.
Joe-There should be a herd of CNer's at the event in Tucson on 11/10 and 11/11, and I was hoping to meet some of them there myself. BUT....come on up on 11/3! Look for any updates on conditions mid-morning of 11/3.

Clear, Dark, and Steady,
John W

#339 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

John, I think you mean November 10th & 11th. We are planning a get together and I really hope you can make it.

#340 Jwemes

Jwemes

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

Thanks Ron, don'cha just hate it when the keyboard misspells?

#341 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

Dang cheap keyboards! :shakecane:

Send a PM; we can exchange phone numbers, emails etc. Several mods will be getting together; we can have one big happy family.

#342 Jwemes

Jwemes

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

The next Wickenburg Public Star Party will be on November 3. If you feel you will be deprived of nocturnal photons on the following weekend in Tucson, this will be your chance to reach temporary saturation(If we get clear skies).

Constellation Rd. and Blue Tank Rd. have been bladed by Yavapai County road crews(a big thank you!), so Sophies Flat is easy to reach in a passenger car.

If you're thinking about coming out, but have never been, sing out, and I'll repost directions.

Look for a local conditions report mid morning on the 3rd.

Clear, Dark, and Steady,
John W.

#343 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Looks like I'll be missing it this month as "Modelzona" is that day. Maybe December.

If nothing else, maybe I'll see some of you down at the Tucson astronomy show the following week.

#344 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'm planning on being there.

#345 dorfenschleger

dorfenschleger

Lift Off

• Loc: Phoenix

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

My name is Eric Dorfner and this will be my first time out with y'all. I'm new to the hobby and bringing out my etx-125. Besides my awesomeness and scope is there anything I can bring with to help the cause? I'm not experienced in much except go-to's but looking to stay in the hobby for :jump: the Long haul.

#346 Dwight56

Dwight56

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

:jump: Looks like the weather is oging to be good on Nov 3rd so I'm seriously thinking about coming by to see what where when things are going on Northwest of Phx :cool:

#347 Jwemes

Jwemes

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Eric and Dwight,
No need to bring anything other than a 'scope, and whatever you'd like to snack on. The BLM outhouse is always available. The parking lot where we set up is only 'semi' dusty, so you may wish to bring something to hold down the dust at your 'scope.
If coming from greater Phoenix, turn right onto El Recreo, which is just after the Sundance Pizza, and before Micky D's. El Recreo becomes Constellation Rd. Keep going past the rodeo grounds, and approx. 1 mile after the pavenment ends, turn left onto Blue Tank Rd. Another mile or so, will get you to Sophie's Flat. We use the parking lot on the East side (nearest the outhouse).

Here's the local conditions (current and a bit early for mid morning). Currently calm weather, with only ~1% cloud cover. Low temp this morning 58F. High temp yesterday 89F. Both NOAA and CSC look like we'll have a pretty nice evening.

Clear, Dark, and Steady,
John W

#348 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

A cloth ground tarp is a good idea. And a chair. Maybe a snack.

Getting cooler as the sun sets so a sweater, jacket and a hat to keep you comfortable would be a good idea. Maybe even some coffee; more for the heat than staying away, we don't stay out that late.

#349 dorfenschleger

dorfenschleger

Lift Off

• Loc: Phoenix

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Thanks and see you there

#350 Jwemes

Jwemes

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

The last Wickenburg Public Star Party of the year (2012) will be on December 8, 2012. Barring anything unforseen, the location will again be Sophie's Flat. Look for a mid-morning report of local weather conditions on 12/8/2012.

The schedule for 2013 is TBD, and input from participants is appreciated.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics