Atlas CW bar upgrade

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

I am looking to upgrade the counterweight bar on my Atlas. Several times in the last week I tried going to the Criterion Machine Co. site and got the message that it was unavailable. Is Criterion still in business? Is there an alternate reliable source for a CW bar upgrade? Any recommendation along this line would be appreciated as I live in an area without much to offer in the way of light machine shop services. Thanks!

Clear Skies,
BrianB

#2 darkman

darkman

Man In Black

• Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

Brian, I just bought one in mid-November for my Sirius:here's his email address, try it.

cmcinfo@rocketmail.com

#3 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Brian, I just bought one in mid-November for my Sirius:here's his email address, try it.

cmcinfo@rocketmail.com

Thanks darkman, I'll drop him a line. Are there any other alternatives out there? :question:

Clear Skies,
BrianB

#4 Deven Matlick

Deven Matlick

Vendor - Criterion Machine Co. LLC

• Vendors
  • Loc: Moatsville, WV

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

We are still in business and have the shafts in stock! They are listed in the classifieds under mount accessories till I get the site back up.

#5 Mike Conley

Mike Conley

Viking 1

• Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:33 AM

cmcinfo@rocketmail.com

Jut wondering how you like the upgrade bar and if you notice a difference in performance over the stock bar. I'm considering one.

Mike

#6 darkman

darkman

Man In Black

• Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

Hi Mike,

Yes, I have noticed a difference. First and foremost, I don’t have to run as much total weight to keep my stack balanced. The longer bar also gives me a wider range of travel for weight placement so I can more precisely adjust the balance. Overall, I give it a big thumbs-up.

The bar is well made, sturdy, and has minimal or no discernable flex. Being stainless as opposed to chrome plated iron as the stock unit was, there are few or no corrosion worries.

One thing you must consider: the longer bar will of course swing out a greater distance than the stock bar, make sure you have sufficient clearance around you.

If you slew to an object at 6x or 8x instead of the ‘normal’ default rate, you may notice some pendulum effect, but it is minor. During tracking or at normal slew rate, I have not seen this.

#7 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

I have one of Deven's CW bar's on my CGEM...first the craftsmanship is absolutely first rate...I run very close to the 40 pound capacity of this mount and it wouldn't work nearly as well without this 20 inch bar...a must-have in my opinion...lastly, Deven is one great guy to do business with.

#8 Icarus

Icarus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sioux Falls, SD

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

Deven, I have been trying to get in touch with you for a few weeks now. Web site down, e-mail not answered and phone number inactive. Is there a way to get in touch with you? Hoping you read this and I can get one of your 20" Atlas shafts. :grin:

Scott

#9 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Also, CN classifieds is down now, so...

- Jim

#10 gary-sue69

gary-sue69

Messenger

• Loc: Maybee MI.

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

Scott, check this web sit out, 6" Counterweight Shaft Extensions for CGEM Mounts. It will give you about 20", give them a call before you oder because cgem comes in to different thread size,and thay are only $32.00 shipped. http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_eqbe.htm
Gary

#11 gary-sue69

gary-sue69

Messenger

• Loc: Maybee MI.

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

Brian, they might have one for atlas counterweight bar too.
Gary

#12 Icarus

Icarus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

Hi Gary, thanks for the heads up on this. I will keep it in mind if I cannot get the Atlas CW shaft from Devon like I hope.

If nothing else. I see it will work on my skyview pro mount which would come in handy as well.

Scott

#13 Nils_Lars

Nils_Lars

Voyager 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains , CA

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:48 AM

I went a different route and got a thicker bar thats about the same size as a stock bar which gives more weight from the bar itself.

I only need 1 weight even when I have my C8 and all the accesories.

Here is the project and pics.

http://diyastrophoto...untprojects.htm

#14 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

This is Deven's e-mail address...it was working last week and is definitely still in business...think he moved his shop. email: cmcinfo@rocketmail.com

#15 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Friendly moderator announcement:

Please do NOT post other folks email addresses without their permission (specified accordingly).

Also, it is highly recommended that if/when you ever do post email addresses (i.e. your own) you should probably do it in the form:

xxx (at) yyy (dot) com; or the like; to prevent the web-crawlers from putting it in a spam database.

In this case, I did not edit nor delete it, because, the same email address is posted earlier in the thread in the posters signature.

We now return you to the thread.

Thanks for your participation!

#16 Icarus

Icarus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

Erik, Very nice work. :cool: I'm afraid you are much more ambitious than I am in that respect. If I have to do something like you in the future, I will follow you article and try to duplicate it. I'd need to buy the drill press and extra items to do the job correctly, so cost right now is a factor.

I've waited 2 years, since Devon first came out with these, so I guess I will just patiently wait until he is back up and running per the response below yours. As it sound like he for sure is still in business.

Scott

#17 Icarus

Icarus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

Jeff, Thank you. I sent one e-mail to that address before, but I just sent him another now as well. Glad to hear that he is still in business and I will just have to be patient :tonofbricks:(not easy for me) until he returns my e-mails.

Scott

#18 Icarus

Icarus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

Hi guys. I just got an e-mail response from Devon. :jump: He is still in business and has the Atlas CW shafts in stock. I just order one. :grin: So if you do want one, you can get one right away. Contact him at the e-mail address above and he will get back to you.

He also told me that his phone number is active once again.

Scott

#19 Icarus

Icarus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

Talk about fast. Devon already had the order shipped when I checked my e-mail at 07:00 this morning.

Thanks for the great service Devon. :grin:

Scott

#20 Nils_Lars

Nils_Lars

Voyager 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains , CA

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

Thanks Scott and im glad it worked out for you , CW bar is a deffinate upgrade for this mount and makes a big difference.

#21 Icarus

Icarus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

Hi Erik, I'm glad it worked out as well. I should have it by Friday. Weather isn't looking so good for the next week or so, and it's been cloudy nights for the last couple of weeks also.

So when I have a chance to play with it I'll let you guy's know how big a difference it makes for the scopes I have. I'm hoping that this will allow me to eventually put a C-14 on board. I think it will work as I am a visual observer only. I've talked to some of the tech's at Orion and they stated that the mount can handle much more than the rated load if balanced properly and I think the new CW bar, as you mentioned, will allow the full potential of the Atlas to be used.

Thanks again for your help.

Scott

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics