Question About the Celestron ASGT-5

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

Sigh...I know what you mean. I will be ordering the dual saddle model. I just got the dual saddle model for my CGEM and as always, am very impressed with Anthony's work.

#27 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

There's another thread about things one could add to the CG5, but I don't want to hijack that thread, so I will ask my question here. It was suggested that a right angle adapter added to the power cord would be helpful. That got me thinking about the other cables. The coiled Dec cable seems rather short. I know Scopestuff has longer Dec cables for the 8 pin cables, but not the newer 6 pin cables. Is this Dec cable something to be worried about? If so, what have you all done to solve the 'problem'? As always, thanks so much for your input!!

#28 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

My dec cable has been fine. It appears that the normal stresses placed on the dec cable when the mount slews is well within tolerances. Reasonable care when attaching and storing should make it last a long time. Seems to be relatively impervious to cold temps, too. I've had it out in 12°F to 25°F temps for hours on a number of occasions.

#29 Terrance

Terrance

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Portland Or.

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

As a belated response to an earlier post about whether my heavy C11, with a Losmandy dovetail bar, held by a ADM Vixen-to-Losmandy adapter, to a CG-5 Vixen saddle, has ever slipped, the answer is no, never. I keep the C11 on the mount attached in that way, and have had it that way since May, 2010.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics