Astronomy Technology Today

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

Reading some posts on Stellar Media, I got turned on to Astronomy Technology Today. I checked out their web site, and subscribed. I also purchased all the prior editions. Today, I read the first issue--April 2007, and the current issue--Sept./Oct. 2010.

This is an excellent publication. It fills a niche that neither Sky and Telescope or Astronomy cover that well. There are loads of telescope, eyepiece, software, imaging, and other equipment reviews. When reading astronomy magazines, I enjoyed reading the ads as much as the articles. Astronomy Technology Today is chock full of equipment reviews--about 68 pages worth. Sky and Telescope and Astronomy cannot meet everyone's needs. Astronomy Technology Today might nicely fill a niche for you.
GeneT

#2 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:41 PM

I have subscribed to Astronomy Technology Today since it first came out. I have enjoyed each and every issue and have saved all of them. Great magazine!!

#3 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

Sounds like it could be dangerous to one's fiscal health.

/Ira

#4 helpwanted

helpwanted

Skylab

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:37 PM

i'm not crazt about the magz. i guess i'm not a gearhead, i rather use my scope visually... i wish they would bring back Deep Sky Magz!!!

#5 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

Anybody got their Nov/Dec issue yet?

#6 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:44 PM

i'm not crazt about the magz. i guess i'm not a gearhead, i rather use my scope visually... i wish they would bring back Deep Sky Magz!!!

I also only use my telescope visually. However, I like to see all the equipment type products out there. I only use a reflector, but I enjoy reading up on refractors and refractor type products.

#7 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

Sounds like it could be dangerous to one's fiscal health. /Ira

It is--because we are all sick!

#8 helpwanted

helpwanted

Skylab

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:21 PM

Nov Dec issue is out, i had it... interesting article on the Paracorr (i know, this coming from the guy that doesn't like ATT)!!

#9 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

Reading some posts on Stellar Media, I got turned on to Astronomy Technology Today. I checked out their web site, and subscribed. I also purchased all the prior editions. Today, I read the first issue--April 2007, and the current issue--Sept./Oct. 2010.

This is an excellent publication. It fills a niche that neither Sky and Telescope or Astronomy cover that well. There are loads of telescope, eyepiece, software, imaging, and other equipment reviews. When reading astronomy magazines, I enjoyed reading the ads as much as the articles. Astronomy Technology Today is chock full of equipment reviews--about 68 pages worth. Sky and Telescope and Astronomy cannot meet everyone's needs. Astronomy Technology Today might nicely fill a niche for you.
GeneT

It's a great magazine, very gearhead oriented. I just received the November/December issue. ATT and Amateur Astronomy are the magazines that I subscribe to. I like S&T, and Amateur Astronomy too, but not subscribing to them gives me a reason to make it to Barnes and Noble once a month. ;)

#10 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

I have subscribed since it started as well. It is a gearhead magazine and nice to read about all those gadgets of which I have picked up a few based on the positive reviews. Good Luck!

#11 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators
  • Loc: North Coast

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

I subscribed when it first came out and it was a great magazine for it's articles on the latest astro-gear. However, I recently let my subscription lapse as a large percentage of the articles turned to gear and techniques for astro-imagers. Too bad! It's still a great magazine for astrophotography, but that just doesn't interest me.

#12 Scopyfrank

Scopyfrank

999 Forever

• Loc: Luxembourg

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

Sounds like it could be dangerous to one's fiscal health. /Ira

It is--because we are all sick!

Any doc in here to cure chronic DSOmania, Dobsonitis, refractoritis, severe eyepiecoid-collectionitis syndrom or morbid GOTOphobia? :)

#13 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:31 PM

:lol: :roflmao:

#14 gparkerson

gparkerson

Vendor (Astronomy Technology Today)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

Hi Gene.

Thank you for giving ATT a try. I remain a dedicated fan of both Astronomy and Sky & Telescope, but discovered long ago that I get as much enjoyment selecting, building, tuning, and tweaking astro stuff as I do from the views the equipment provides. I still consider CN the best source of equipment reviews, but wanted something in a magazine format as well. Thus ATT.

Thanks again.

Gary

Gary Parkerson
Managing Editor

#15 gparkerson

gparkerson

• Vendors

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

I hear you and miss Deep Sky as well. Like you, I'm primarily a visual observer, but am still something of a gearhead as well. Meanwhile, I agree: ATT isn't for everyone.

Thanks.

Gary

Gary Parkerson
Managing Editor

#16 gparkerson

gparkerson

• Vendors

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

Anybody got their Nov/Dec issue yet?

Hi Jim,

My home copy arrived yesterday, more than a month after it was mailed from Dallas. I hope yours has arrived by now as well.

Gary

Gary Parkerson
Managing Editor

#17 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the update Gary. I emailed Christy at ATT yesterday and asked if the issue should be considered late yet. She replied that she would send out a replacement copy. I'll probably get both.

#18 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

I subscribed when it first came out and it was a great magazine for it's articles on the latest astro-gear. However, I recently let my subscription lapse as a large percentage of the articles turned to gear and techniques for astro-imagers. Too bad! It's still a great magazine for astrophotography, but that just doesn't interest me.

I don't find this to be the case at all. I think Gary has a nice mix of visual/imaging. And he's now throwing some ATM oriented material into the mix.

ATT is a treat to read, and I don't just say that because I sometimes contribute to it. Gary has something unique, the production values are very good and...welll...LONG MAY IT WAVE! :lol:

#19 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:09 PM

I’ve subscribed since about the 3rd issue, and have purchased all of the issues I missed. I’ve also downloaded many of the pdf versions. It provides good coverage of its area of interest: equipment. I certainly intend to keep subscribing.

I concur with all of the positive comments on ATT, but I do have one beef: the review of the Explore Scientific 127mm ED ended up denting my wallet when I bought one based on that review (and others)!

Roughly half of the new equipment material is not really a “review”, but rather more a descriptive product announcement. Of course that’s valuable too. One has to remember when reading the articles that the author is sometimes a new owner of the equipment, or in some cases, has a “relationship” (friend, long-time customer, etc) with the manufacturer, or *is* the seller of the equipment, or is otherwise known to be a “proponent” of the brand or type of equipment. With that understood, the information provided is generally of great value.

#20 Steven Aggas

Steven Aggas

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

So, who besides me is having problems with ATT? Are they still in business? I subscribed for digital and paperback issues. Two months go by with nothing coming in the mail. I email them and they say is would have started with the next issue. Another three months go by, still nothing.... Anyone else see that as poor business, maybe out of business?

#21 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

They aren't out of business, as I received the March-April issue in the mail yesterday. Might be time to send them another e-mail.

#22 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

So, who besides me is having problems with ATT? Are they still in business? I subscribed for digital and paperback issues. Two months go by with nothing coming in the mail. I email them and they say is would have started with the next issue. Another three months go by, still nothing.... Anyone else see that as poor business, maybe out of business?

Nope. They are most assuredly not out of business, and the issues have been rolling in like clockwork. Not sure what your problem is...have you contacted Gary for help?

#23 Steven Aggas

Steven Aggas

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Yes, there were emails to Gary, Stuart, and a Christy....

They published the construction of the 36" article they asked for/I wrote. They seemed interested/requested my sending the 36" mirror cooling/modeling article, which I did and was in the process of getting into the magazine. Even sent another article to them about astronomy in Low Earth Orbit with details of the antenna tracker I built for tracking satellites, specifically for ISS which has Ham Radio operators on board to talk to, and after that never heard anything back. During all of that there were requests about the subscription due to not seeing, ever, a bi-monthly magazine arrive....

Anyway, glad I could help 'em with interesting articles to boost sales and a donation to boot.

#24 gparkerson

gparkerson

• Vendors

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hi Steve,

This comes as a surprise (and a bit of a shock) to me. I'm sorry if we've fumbled your subscription and have been assured that the crew is working to correct the problem, whatever its source. Meanwhile, I thought we had shipped you a number of copies of the issue that featured your big Dob. Is that not the case? Did you not receive those? In fact, another shipment is being prepared to you of the most recent issue that features your cooling system.

Meanwhile, thanks again for the excellent articles?

#25 Steven Aggas

Steven Aggas

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hi Gary, thanks! I look forward to receiving the magazine issues as they come out.

Yes, eventually Christy did mention that my subscription didn't come in time for the Nov-Dec 36" article magazine to be the first of the subscription, though it was just shipping out and my friends were getting them when I signed up. Some time later I emailed her again about the subscription, since I saw the notification that the following Jan-Feb issue .pdf was ready, and then I asked again for a copy of scope magazine, so even if it wasn't in my subscription I'd see my scope in print. I did then receive copies! But then I never saw anything from the subscription, so I gave up. But at least I saw my scope in print. So I sent the third article to you just in case there were any hard feelings for any reason. I didn't think there should be but one never knows. But I never heard back on that one, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

I hope the articles were interesting, for you and the readers. They are all challenging in construction too. The remote desktop controlled spectrograph project, that we spoke of, is still plugging along. When it's done it too should make for an interesting read.

Thanks again
Steven

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics