• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:14 AM

Hello,
Actually - I just noticed your location in your signature..,

I'm sure I read on one of the AUS forums that there are folks out in Oz and "Far East" that were supposed to be road-testing the mount - have a word with the AUS distributor for Skywatcher if you wish..,

Regards,

skybsd

#52 Bachus

Bachus

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nashville,TN.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:07 AM

I think if you look at the weight capacity range this is going for , no doubt it's target for the "Celestron CGE Pro and Vixen Atlux" people. It's obvious they opted not to make a jump up to the 65lb range and go for a more drastic and heavier weight load.

With both the CGE Pro and Atlux in the $5K US dollar range I wouldn't be surprised if this new EQ8 comes in around 10%-15% less. I sure don't see it selling for for more.

#53 Kchula-Rrit

Kchula-Rrit

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Matriarchy of Kzin

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

How do you get to the 14 floor if there is no 13th? Serious question.

I assume that they just skip the number. I stayed in a thirteen-floor apartment building in Chicago, US and the top floor was labeled "14", not "13". The floor below it was labeled "12".

K-R.

#54 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:29 AM

Hello,

I'm sure I read on one of the AUS forums that there are folks out in Oz and "Far East" that were supposed to be road-testing the mount - have a word with the AUS distributor for Skywatcher if you wish..,

Regards,

skybsd

I have had a word with my Skywatcher supplier
& they know nothing about it.
In fact they appreciated that video I posted of it.

#55 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

Hello,

Hello,

Regards,

skybsd

I notice you said you contacted your local "supplier".

Just so I'm sure we're both on the same page - I did use the term "distributor" previously - that is, not a retailer, reseller or dealer.

The distributor is the single entity in any given country or region (NA/SA/EU/AP) that has the import and distribution rights for a (foreign or local) company's product(s). for instance, in the UK, most distributors do not sell direct to consumers, and if contacted, they will offer to supply a list of shops that carry the product in their dealership / reseller network.

So, was it the local distributor (as described above) with whom you were in contact? If it was, then I'm at a loss, really..,

Regards,

skybsd

#56 Richard Turner

Richard Turner

Mariner 2

• Loc: NC

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

True story: Years ago some young people decided that one of them would bungee jump from a building. The building was something like 20 stories high. They calculated the height of the building based on the number of stories and rigged a bungee cord of what they thought was the appropriate length for a safe jump. What they did not know is that the building had no 13th floor, so their bungee cord was too long. The guy jumped and hit the ground, killing him.

#57 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hello,

Hello,

Regards,

skybsd

I notice you said you contacted your local "supplier".

Just so I'm sure we're both on the same page - I did use the term "distributor" previously - that is, not a retailer, reseller or dealer.

The distributor is the single entity in any given country or region (NA/SA/EU/AP) that has the import and distribution rights for a (foreign or local) company's product(s). for instance, in the UK, most distributors do not sell direct to consumers, and if contacted, they will offer to supply a list of shops that carry the product in their dealership / reseller network.

So, was it the local distributor (as described above) with whom you were in contact? If it was, then I'm at a loss, really..,

Regards,

skybsd

I have no idea who the "distributer" is.
As far as I know the supplier I spoke to imports
directly from overseas & not through a local distributer.

#58 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

My bet - look at the CGE Pro and you have your price and specs. It looks like a CGE Pro made-up to look vaguely akin to an AP900.

The gear size, altitude adjustment and split "forked" lower assembly look to be pure CGE Pro.

- Jim

#59 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

• Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

[
When you hear that higher end mounts are so good that they can do
10 minute subframes without guiding & obtain pinpoint stars
then I just wonder what this Skywatcher can really do?

What focal length would you like to image at?

Even high end mounts (Tak, AP) need guiding when using longer focal lenghts.

What those mounts permit are less aggressive autoguider settings due to their smaller (much smaller in some cases, but still there nonetheless) PE, and smoother, predictable PE curves.

#60 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

There are many ways around not having an AP or ME mount. I'm a believer in the "you can make anything work" school of thought - if you spend the time to understand your equp and it's capabilities.

Over the years I had had terrible equp with huge PE and unstable mounts. By using the equp and praticing you WILL be able to do excellent things. Also, technology like SBIGs AO-7/8/etc... can turn a lower end mount into a high end performer. An AO device will even help overcome some issues in seeing stability.

By using what you have and the exp of folks hear you will be able to do great things should you choose to apply yourself.

Now you may say "fine" thats great comming from someone with an TOA-150 and an AP900. I spend many a night with ankle weights hanging off a meade LX3 looking through an OAG at 12 degrees manually guiding a picture of M42. I had just as much fun then as I do now - maybe more. TBH, I get confused with all this tech today. It's like looking under the hood of my Benz, I can't even fined the dipstick anymore :)

Good luck...

FWIW... Joe

#61 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

Why do they still use this bad power connector? :confused:

All other connectors seem to be much more secure.

"Seem." I've never had any trouble with the power connector on my EQ6.

Me neither, but then I am using a right angle plug.

#62 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:35 PM

The EQ6 can't handle anywhere near it's rated capacity when doing photography.

No mount does. Mounts in general appear to be rated for visual use, and the rule of thumb for doing AP is to figure your mount capacity as half it's rated capacity.
However, my 40lbs rated Atlas does quite well with 25lbs on it in AP mode, somewhat more than 50% of it's rating. Perhaps it's because I have it mounted on an 8" concrete pier?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics