Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:59 PM

anyone ever use one of these?

#2 artao

artao

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SW Wisconsin

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:11 PM

I have one, if your talking about a 90mm f/11.1 (1000mm) refractor on a GOTO mount with a model 494 hand controller.
I found mine in the garbage, with neither eyepieces nor power supply. The mount and focusser needed a little TLC, I borrowed eyepieces for a few years and have now bought my own, and use one of those all-in-one AC adapters for power. I also had to modify (well, replace) the EP holder to take 1.25" EPs.
Perfectly useable scope! I have seen wonders galore using it, and know it will continue to give me joy for years to come. :D
It's VERY important to get good alignment to use the GOTO I've found. There's a couple degrees of play in both altitude and azimuth that I can't seem to get rid of. The focusser works, but needs improvement or, preferably, replacement. I'd also like to upgrade to a 495 or 497 hand controller, to make it easier to hook my computer up to the scope. The finder scope completely sucks, but is "useable". I must replace that, sooner than later.
I've used it a little for astrophotography even, mostly limited by my *BLEEP* web-cam. Just the Moon and Jupiter so far.
Anything else you wanted to know? ;) :cool:

EDIT : seriously? bleeped for that word, started with a 'c'?

#3 scott m

scott m

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hatfield Pa

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

I have two of them; optically they are pretty good. I did replace the focuser with a metal rack and pinion from Meridian versus that plastic thing they put in. I also mounted mine on a Orion AstroView.

#4 ArieSirius123

ArieSirius123

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: wesley chapel, FL

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

thanks. actually i did want to know a little more about it. like...how much did these cost new? also whats the process like to align it so that the goto works. also can you just use it like a point and shoot if you dont want to use the computer. thanks a bunch

#5 sg6

sg6

Viking 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

You can use it without doing the goto setup, I assume that it will be powered up so in that case point it north to start with. That way the motors will be driving it more or less correctly when it is simply tracking whatever object you find.

If I cannot be bothered with the alignment I simply level the scope, point north and tell it to do the easy align and simply say OK when the scope stops at what may or may not be the 2 alignmnet stars.

At least then when I drive it to something the scope tracks fairly well so the viewing is longer before adjustment is needed.

#6 ArieSirius123

ArieSirius123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

i think im going to buy a used one that apparently hasnt been used (i know that sounds funny). gonna go check it out next week.

#7 artao

artao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:01 AM

Can't say what they were (are) new, but when I found mine and looked it up on eBay, I saw a couple for around $250, including eyepieces and the power cord (DC I think)
Alignment.
First off, it's important to have the scope balanced decently. I like to have mine slightly front-heavy as opposed to neutral for a more positive drive engagement. My observation is that I get better tracking that way and the eyepiece stays at a more comfortable viewing height. You also need to calibrate and train the motors, which is a fairly simple process.
It may go without saying, but I've found that to rarely be true, so ... You've also gotta have your Lat./Long., date, and time entered accurately. :D
Once you've got that, it's rather simple. I always do the two-star when I actually align.
I pick two stars with quite different sky locations. Say one at least 65 degrees high, and another closer to 20 or so, and at least 100 degrees east or west of the first star. I'll align on the two stars, then tell the scope to slew to Polaris. If it's too far off, I re-do the alignment. If it's ok, I slew to some other bright star, then hold down the 'Enter' button to put it into 'correction' mode (that's not what it's actually called, sorry). This turns off tracking temporarily, and asks you to center the object, then hit 'Enter' again. Basically, it corrects GOTO and/or tracking errors a bit. I often repeat this on different stars, GOTO-ing them, until I'm happy with how centered the requested object is. Usually doesn't take more than 2 tries, tho I've had to do up to 5.
Using this process, I have left the scope tracking, unattended, for up to 4 hours and come back to find the object still in the eyepiece. :cool:
Sometimes I just use it un-powered for simple Lunar or planetary viewing. Other times I power it but don't bother with alignment. Quite nice so you can use the handbox to move the scope instead of trying to nudge it around by hand.
If the scope's in decent condition and a good price, GO FOR IT!! You'll be pleased I think. :jump:

#8 ArieSirius123

ArieSirius123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:50 AM

how nice. its apparently like new, "not used" was the exact wording. spoke to the lady who seemed to not have a clue or an interest in what she had. 100 bucks.

#9 ArieSirius123

ArieSirius123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:47 AM

i was just reading about the thing only accepting .965 eyepieces?! thats no bueno,..right? its the ds90-at

#10 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:50 AM

If it is new and only $100 it is hard to go too much wrong. I paid $125 plus shpg a few years ago for the same package without an OTA.

#11 ArieSirius123

ArieSirius123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:20 AM

does anyone know whether it accepts 1.25 eyepieces. the ds90-at

#12 artao

artao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

did a quick search. looks like some came with .965" an some came with 1.25". Mine took .965", but I used an old vitamin bottle that just so happened to fit the draw-tube AND have an appropriately sized neck .. ;)
and looky looky what I found, from the cloudy nights archive LOLz
http://www.cloudynig...psed/sb/2/o/all

EDIT: unfortunately, the links in the forum don't appear to work anymore

#13 ArieSirius123

ArieSirius123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

if it does come with the .965 eyepieces, would this help.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1#ht_3517wt_851

#14 artao

artao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

Sorry it took me a few days to get around to this. Here's those pics you requested of my scope. :D
The long narrow tube across the top is my initial attempt to make a camera mount for the scope. It is currently under re-consideration and re-construction. :cool:

Angle #1:
Posted Image
===================================='

Angle #2:
Posted Image
====================================

My modification to accept 1.25" eyepieces:
Posted Image

I added this bubble level from the local hardware store too:
Posted Image

Hope that helps, or is at least interesting. :D :D

#15 artao

artao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

Also, the black rectangles on the legs are strips of velcro. I put matching velcro on the back of the handbox, and thus can quickly stow the handbox on any leg of the tripod.
Any other questions, feel free to ask.

#16 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

Why not just bolt a standard accessory dovetail to the rings and attach a ball head for your camera?

#17 artao

artao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

Well, for one thing I don't have one and can't afford one right now. But also because the set-up is meant for eyepiece projection photography.

#18 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

Ahh, I wasn't clear on what you were doing. I was thinking piggy-back.

#19 ArieSirius123

ArieSirius123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:52 AM

i just got mine today. i also had "first light". i saw a very tiny jupiter with no details on it, basically a white orb, it was cool to see the moons around it tho. really cool although i was expecting a cloud band. really dark sky too. maybe its the junk .965 eyepieces that im going to replace immediately. anyway, i couldnt really make the goto work, but the motor is strong that much is clear. with some more practice ill get it soon enough im sure.

#20 artao

artao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

I've had excellent views of Jupiter with mine, but with decent eyepieces. I've been able to crank this scope up to 220x on the moon, and I was mostly happy with the view. even 330x worked, but the views were far fuzzier.
of course, seeing was EXCELLENT that night. I've looked at Jupiter up to 220x as well.

#21 Terike

Terike

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

I have the same scope and mount setup as you. Though I have a diagonal eyepiece converter to 1.25.

I will be trying to control from the computer very soon. Have you had any problems or do you have any advice that might help me setting it up for my first time?

Clear skies!

#22 ArieSirius123

ArieSirius123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

best advice is to read the manual for the autostar really. not too difficult to understand after you read it over some.

#23 ArieSirius123

ArieSirius123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

i just wanted to report on this telescope seeing as tonight was the first time i really was able to get it accurately aligned with the goto. i was able to enter anything in the handset and the telescope would find it, and track it, dead on. optics were pretty good too. not as good as a 12 inch dob but pretty damn good for a 90mm refractor. overally very pleased with this telescope. looking forward to getting a 1.25 inch stepback.

#24 zvaragabor

zvaragabor

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:52 AM

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying a second-hand DS-90. If the objective len is in perfect condition, does it worth a buy? How does it perform compared to a SW or a Cel 90/900? And could someone tell me what's the tube diameter at the focuser end? I've read some comments about the poor focuser design, and that everyone recommends a focuser change, so just to know which size fits in. Any answer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Gábor

#25 scott m

scott m

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hatfield Pa

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

Don't know how it compares to the SW or Celestron but a 86mm focuser fits. I replaced the one on mine with a metal R&P from Meridian.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics