Only one Dioptrx

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ischua

ischua

Under the Radar

• Loc: Below Snow Plop WNY

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

I will need to put 2.25 Dioptrx on all my eyepieces. I only have cash for one at this time plus adapters. I have two Pans (35+24)and two Naglers (13+9) What would you put it on first? Or should I just use my glasses with the 24,13 and the 9. How do you deal with astigmatism and shorter eye relief eyepieces.

#2 Todd

Todd

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:19 AM

I used only one Dioptrix for a few years. IMO it's easily removed and switched to a different eyepiece.

I now have two (for use on my two most-used eyepieces) but still switch them onto others when needed.

#3 Lt 26

Lt 26

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:45 AM

I purchased one for use on my 11mm, 17mm and 35mm. The 11 has an exit pupil of 1mm, the 17 has 2mm and the 35 has 4mm. I found that I only needed it on the 35 with the larger exit pupil. Many don't need them until the exit pupil gets over 2mm. Good luck.

Dereck

#4 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

Due to the issues you raised, last year I switched out my eyepiece set to include eyepieces with a minimum of 17mm eye relief, and others with 19 and 20mm eye relief so I could do all my viewing while wearing glasses. My glasses also have anti glare coatings to minimize ghost images in the eyepieces. I am very pleased with this arrangement.

#5 ischua

ischua

Under the Radar

• Loc: Below Snow Plop WNY

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for the info As I hate wearing glasses at the eyepiece I'm glad to hear its swaps easily

#6 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

I also have two to use on my two widest eyepieces. Lately, I've been viewing without them as my astigmatism is only .75 diopters. I also have trouble using them with the Ethos as I can't see the whole FOV without jamming my eye too close to the Dioptrx. I'm just thankful my astigmatism isn't worse than it is. Using the Dioptrx on Naglers or other less than 82º AFOV eyepieces I found you still need at least 17mm eye relief to use them comfortably.

#7 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Reviving an old thread here... Really want to give my 13 Ethos a chance before I have to admit defeat at the hands of 3.00 diopters of astigmatism. A couple questions for those with Ethos + DIOPTRX experience:

1 - Do the DIOPTRX get thicker as the number increases?

2 - If you have to jam your eye into the DIOPTRX, is there any risk of pushing the DIOPTRX lens into contact with the Ethos eyelens?

#8 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Get a 2" and a 1.25" adapter that will take filters and screw it on like a filter? Are you useing a paracorr? Screw it on to the bottom of the Paracorr??? Not certain either method would work, but the first would definitly take care of the situation and you would not need any more then the 2 you already have.

#9 astrogaffer

astrogaffer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Reviving an old thread here... Really want to give my 13 Ethos a chance before I have to admit defeat at the hands of 3.00 diopters of astigmatism. A couple questions for those with Ethos + DIOPTRX experience:

2 - If you have to jam your eye into the DIOPTRX, is there any risk of pushing the DIOPTRX lens into contact with the Ethos eyelens?

I have the Ethos 13 and also have a marked astigmatism at 2.25. I use the dioptrix on the 13 Ethos. It does not jam down onto the lens of the eyepiece. I find the eye relief just comfortable enough although I find that I have to get my eyebrow lightly to the rubber eye guard. I do not see that the dioptrix gets any thicker as the number increases.

I really enjoy the dioptrix and appreciate how well it works on cleaning up the image. In fact, I am now considering in acquiring one or two more for my 19 and 24 Pans with adapters. I think you would really appreciate your 13 ethos with the dioptric attached.

Good luck with your decision! :)

#10 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

I also have two to use on my two widest eyepieces. Lately, I've been viewing without them as my astigmatism is only .75 diopters. I also have trouble using them with the Ethos as I can't see the whole FOV without jamming my eye too close to the Dioptrx. I'm just thankful my astigmatism isn't worse than it is. Using the Dioptrx on Naglers or other less than 82º AFOV eyepieces I found you still need at least 17mm eye relief to use them comfortably.

Jim, My astigmatism is .50 to .75 diopters, and I have considered ordering one 0.75. Sad to heare it may lose 100 AFOV benefit of ethos. Unsure if it could work on ES20 100 AFOV? Makes sense greatest benefit would be on wider exit pupils and 82 or smaller AFOV, with adequate eye relief.

Ken

#11 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Unsure if it could work on ES20 100 AFOV? Makes sense greatest benefit would be on wider exit pupils and 82 or smaller AFOV, with adequate eye relief.

Ken

I used a .50 Dioptrx on my ES 100° 20mm for a while and decided it wasn't worth it for me. It was hard to get the view I had paid for. A couple of the right sized o-rings around the eye cup channel created just enough friction for the Dioptrx to fit snugly and stay there. I finally took it off and dealt with my minor astigmatism.

More severe cases would warrant another decision.

#12 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

I have the Ethos 13 and also have a marked astigmatism at 2.25. I use the dioptrix on the 13 Ethos. It does not jam down onto the lens of the eyepiece. I find the eye relief just comfortable enough although I find that I have to get my eyebrow lightly to the rubber eye guard. I do not see that the dioptrix gets any thicker as the number increases.

I really enjoy the dioptrix and appreciate how well it works on cleaning up the image. In fact, I am now considering in acquiring one or two more for my 19 and 24 Pans with adapters. I think you would really appreciate your 13 ethos with the dioptric attached.

Good luck with your decision! :)

Thanks astrogaffer for your input! You have renewed my hopes for Ethos + DIOPTRX.

#13 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

The DIOPTRX finally came in and I am excited to get a chance to finally try it out! So far, in indoor testing, I can get close enough and see the entire FOV without too much trouble.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics