CN Reports Review: Orion SkyQuest XX14i

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 gene williams

gene williams

Explorer 1

• Loc: Western Missouri

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Very nice report David. I recently bought the Orion XX14g and like it alot. I did, however, notice that setup of the upper tube assembly is made much easier XX14g. Orion must have changed the way the trusses connect due to your article because I simply tighten the lower truss poles to the lower tube assembly until they are tight, and place the UTA on top. The UTA fits perfectly without having to juggle it around on top.

By the way, is there an approximate price that you can give me that Lockwood charged to refigure the mirror? I am happy with the mirror so far, but I may want to install some premium optics in this telescope at some point.

Gene

#52 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Very nice report David. I recently bought the Orion XX14g and like it alot. I did, however, notice that setup of the upper tube assembly is made much easier XX14g. Orion must have changed the way the trusses connect due to your article because I simply tighten the lower truss poles to the lower tube assembly until they are tight, and place the UTA on top. The UTA fits perfectly without having to juggle it around on top.

By the way, is there an approximate price that you can give me that Lockwood charged to refigure the mirror? I am happy with the mirror so far, but I may want to install some premium optics in this telescope at some point.

Gene

I had both the primary and secondary mirrors refigured to as close to perfect as Mike's equipment would test to. He charged me around $900 for the two refiguring jobs together (re-coating was included), which, given the incredible quality of what I got back, seems fairly reasonable to me. If your scope gives reasonably good images, chances are that refiguring is not required. I recently did a star test of another XX14i at the Nebraska Star Party, and it passed fairly well, so maybe what I got originally was something of a fluke. Clear skies to you.

#53 gene williams

gene williams

Explorer 1

• Loc: Western Missouri

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

David, that seems very reasonable for the refiguring cost. I might perhaps have someone give me an honest evaluation of my mirror. I am just not very good at knowing the difference...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics