• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

• Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:12 AM

Hello,

I want to get a mount for astrophotography using an Astro-Tech AT65EDQ quadruplet. I think that the included field flattener is a nice touch. Which mount will be best for taking DSLR pictures with it? Over here in the US, the CG5-GT goes for around $600 and the Sirius is about $1149. They both have the same listed weight capacity (30 lbs), so if the difference is not that much I will go obviously with the CG-5. What do you think? I will also be using my Omni XLT 120 for visual on the same mount.

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hello,

I want to get a mount for astrophotography using an Astro-Tech AT65EDQ quadruplet. I think that the included field flattener is a nice touch. Which mount will be best for taking DSLR pictures with it? Over here in the US, the CG5-GT goes for around $600 and the Sirius is about $1149. They both have the same listed weight capacity (30 lbs), so if the difference is not that much I will go obviously with the CG-5. What do you think? I will also be using my Omni XLT 120 for visual on the same mount.

Either mount will easily accomodate this small scope and a camera (and a guidescope).

The CG5 has the advantage of better go-to accuracy, ability to use NexRemote, and more advanced software.

The Sirius is somewhat heftier (looking, anyway), and can use the very full featured EQMOD software.

For your application you cannot go wrong with either.

#3 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

I agree with Rmollise,both mounts will do the job equally good.

#4 ad701xx

ad701xx

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

If you have a laptop you can get the Sirius much cheaper without the hand controller and use EQMOD to control the mount.

Sirius w/o Hand Controller

EQMOD

#5 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

Both are great mounts. The Sirius is a beefier mount, and comes highly recommended as an AP platform for small scopes.
The CG-5ASGT mount is a winner too. I own one, my first GEQ mount, and prefer it's software over the Synta mounts.
Before I bought the Atlas mount, I was using the CG-5 for my AT90EDT, a much heavier scope than the 65Q, and had no problems.

#6 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

Do you think the CG5-GT can handle the Astro-Tech AT8IN as well? It weights 21.6 lbs. My DSLR weights about 1 lb. Which scope you think is best for the CG5-GT overall (Stability AND imaging performance)? The AT8IN or the AT65EDQ?

#7 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

Welcome to CN, Gustavo...

Based on my experiences, an AT8IN is probably a bit much for the CG5/ASGT...

The AT65EDQ, however, should be dead easy (short focal length, relatively fast, and much lighter)... (at least if it is the logical clone/equivalent of the WO66SD that I used to have - which I'm pretty certain it is)...

You might be able to make the AT8IN work, but at 800mm focal length, 10 Kg weight, and it's length... it'd be challenging...

One other thing to consider, when imaging with Newtonians, your balance will be changing based on where you are pointing/tracking due to the offset nature of the focuser... this puts a bit more strain on a mount, and you'd already be at/above it's limits...

HTH!

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

The AT65EDQ, however, should be dead easy (short focal length, relatively fast, and much lighter)... (at least if it is the logical clone/equivalent of the WO66SD that I used to have - which I'm pretty certain it is)...

The AT65EDQ is beefier than the AT66 by about 2 pounds (about 50% heavier) - still a very easy load for a CG-5 class mount. ;)

#9 Nils_Lars

Nils_Lars

Voyager 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains , CA

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

Id go with the EQ-G and no hand controller with EQMOD and then a small finderguider like the KWIQ guider homemade or not and maybe for a larger scope as big as an AT6RC.

#10 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

I already ordered one of the AT6RC's from Astronomics... They are backordered right now, but hopefully I will get one of the last batch before they are gone for good (end of production). Does that scope works ok with CG5-GT? My plan is to get the RC and piggyback the AT65EDQ quad on top of it. It is too much for the mount?

#11 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

My CG5 handles the AT6 no problems... I have no direct experience about an AT6RC [bold] and [/bold] an AT65 though...

I think that with CAREFUL balance it might work ok for visual, but I'm GUESSING that it would be too much load for long exposure AP...

But, I've learned to never say never... ;)

#12 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

My CG5 handles the AT6 no problems... I have no direct experience about an AT6RC [bold] and [/bold] an AT65 though...

I think that with CAREFUL balance it might work ok for visual, but I'm GUESSING that it would be too much load for long exposure AP...

But, I've learned to never say never... ;)

The CG5 will work well for long exposure imaging up to about a C8. The secret is a short tube. A long tube like on a Newtonian creates a lever arm.

#13 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

Now I am comfused. I was leaning towards the Sirius mount because I have read that it supports slightly heavier loads, but then I noticed that it has 1.75" tripod legs, and the CG5-GT has 2" legs. Does that make a lot of difference, like, being able to put an AT8IN in the mount vs. just a AT6RC?

#14 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

Gustavo,
If you are in >$1000 range, then why not consider Orion Atlas? Most folks would agree that it is the best value in >$1000 range. Atlas is much heavier though.
If you are considering CG5, why not consider LXD75, it has the following advantages over CG5:
1. can reduce slew speed to 1.5d/s. Ever heard of "coffee grinding noise of CG5"?
2. Both RA and DEC use ball bearings, on CG5 it is only RA
3. PEC
4. cost - 475 shipped refurbished from Meade

Alex

#15 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

Are the Orion Atlas and the CGEM the same mount with different brand? I live at 18 degrees North, and the CGEM seems that it can't go that low...

#16 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

Based on what I read on this forum, Atlas is very reliable mount and CGEM has a lot of issues. I am sure other folks will chime in.

Alex

#17 austin.grant

austin.grant

Viking 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

Gustavo,
I'm imaging with an AT8IN with a DSLR and a guidescope with camera piggybacked, all on a CG5-GT. It is loaded down for sure, but with proper balance and drift alignment I don't have any real problems. Shoot me a pm if you want to see some pics I've taken with this setup.

#18 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

Ok, so what you think about this setup:

AT6RC on CG5-GT for unguided images.
AT65EDQ with guiding scope on CG5-GT for guided images.

#19 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

Well... after a lot of consideration (too much of it I think) I went ahead with the Sirius EQ-G instead of the CG5. What turned me down with the Celestron was that if I wanted to make it work over here (18 degrees North) I need to take out the front latitude adjustment knob, and I did not like the idea. Also, it looks too much like the Sky View Pro, which is lesser than the Sirius. Of course, I still think that the CG5-GT is a great mount, but I feel a little bit safer with the Sirius.

#20 skywolf856

skywolf856

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

Austin,
I am considering the AT8IN for my CG% also, so I am very interested in your experiences with this OTA on the CG5.
I currently have an 8" f7 newt OTA wich weighs in at 22 pounds, very close to the AT8IN weight but a much longer tube.
I haven't tried AP on it yet, but I did upgrade the focuser over the holidays to accept my DSLR.
Any info you can share would be appreciated.

#21 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

Well, I now got the Sirius EQ-G. It's much bigger and stronger than I thought. Last nigh, I went to a star party and saw one member which I know has taken great pictures with an Orion 8" F/5 Newtonian. I was very surprised when I noticed that he had the Newtonian with a 4.5 Newtonian as a guider, and 350D DSLR, and Star Shoot Guider, all on top of a Sirius! It blew my mind completely, since I was thinking that the most I would be able to mount on it was a 6" scope, such as the AT6RC. Now, let me see that Orion 8" F/4 Astrograph...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics