• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lakeorion

lakeorion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

OK so I just got my Desert Sky DSV 1 and it's on my surveyors tripod. I know in the future I'll be setting up in the dark often and each time I'll need to level the tripod.

Does anyone make a spirit (or bubble) level that lights up with the push of a button? Preferably one that can attach to a vertical round column? (Kind of like this one from Adorama Camera

This would work, but it would be soooo much more trick if I didn't need to carry out a light to see it.

#2 GizmoDave

GizmoDave

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California USA

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

you would likely have to modify a level to get back lighting.
here is a relatively inexpensive hands free alternative head lamp

#3 Planemo

Planemo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Alabama Gulf Coast

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

I second the headlamp idea, 3 LED headlight I have one that has a red L.E.D and 2 white ones and a slide switch to choose which one you want, the red one is real handy for finding stuff in the dark and not killing your night vision too much, some of these lights only have a push button switch where you are forced to see the white light, avoid these.

#4 Kaizu

Kaizu

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:50 AM

I made the red head light from the bicycle tail light. First I bought a simple white head light. It was not easy to find one that had only on-off switch. I changed five red leds from the tail light.

Kaizu

#5 Jimbodaddy

Jimbodaddy

Lift Off

• ***--
  • Loc: N.E. Georgia

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

I use a red head lamp as well. Once you get used to having this thing on your head, you will wonder how you got along without it.

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics