Titan vs. MX vs. 900GTO vs. EM-400 vs. CGE Pro

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#76 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

How high is the CGE Pro?

I went with AP's 42" portable pier, along with their saddle plate (I'm 6' tall) -- so the side mount technique should work (should be pretty easy for the 11" EdgeHD).

I don't have the dimensions on the mount but 42" to where the alt-az adjuster is (on an AP900 or G11 is "about right" in my book--I don't care about an inch or two either way.

The CGE Pro is designed to ride very high. It is so high that it makes any hoist-up-the-tube technique problematic, but "drop in from the top" is a nightmare--saw a guy who had built a wood platform so he could get up high enough. (This particular individual did not want to hear my explanation of side-mounting, which I offered to demo on my own mount.) I'm not sure what the point of this is. When viewing near W or E horizons the scope is already too high at 42". Maybe it's super nice for zenith but not worth the hassles in setup and breakdown.

I think Casady does make a rail for the Titan.

Greg N

#77 Sharkman

Sharkman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nelson, New Zealand

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:47 AM

The 900GTO shipped from A-P today. Should arrive here in New Zealand in a week to ten days, after being re-shipped in consolidated freight along with my EdgeHD. Very exciting!

#78 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

The 900GTO shipped from A-P today. Should arrive here in New Zealand in a week to ten days, after being re-shipped in consolidated freight along with my EdgeHD. Very exciting!

Very exciting, indeed! But remember...we don't believe until there are pictures. Rules, after all, are rules. :grin:

David

#79 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

and I got a problem with The AP900, its price, what's strikes me is this

AP900gto price is $8750 for a 70 lbs capacity mount.
AP1200gto price is $9950 for a 140 lbs capacity mount.

Please correct me if I missed something but the price difference is $1200 to double the capacity making the AP900 a very expensive product.

Actually, I look at it the other way. There is about 40 pounds worth of aluminum difference between the two mounts and about 0.5 pounds of brass. Now, from a materials point of view, just how does this equate to anywhere near the $1200 difference? It is about $100 tops. As far as I can see the AP1200 should be $9950 and the AP900 should be $9850 - and I'll stick with the AP stuff by the way.

#80 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:35 PM

I decided to go with the 900GTO. I placed my order today.

Regarding price: on a per-pound of capacity basis, yes, there is a premium compared to the 1200GTO. However, portability is a big factor for me, so it's worth it in my case. The fact that the 900GTOs will be shipping in February also helped. For a permanent installation, I definitely would have been tempted to go with the larger mount.

Excellent choice :grin:

Sorry I missed this earlier. Glad you managed to get one so quickly, just a couple years ago it was unheard of.

Enjoy the great mount!

#81 Sharkman

Sharkman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nelson, New Zealand

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:24 AM

Very exciting, indeed! But remember...we don't believe until there are pictures. Rules, after all, are rules. :grin:

Of course!

#82 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

Congrats Sharkman!

I went with the 900 for portability and availability as well. Got mine a week or so ago and it's awesome!

Now just need clouds to clear!

#83 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

I'm so conflicted. I certainly can't afford the 900, and I'm on the list for the Mach-1, but I'm wondering if there's going to be a production run soon enough for me (I'm currently without a mount).

Then, there's the G-11 with the Gemini 2. I know it's not a Mach-1, but it's also half the price and should hopefully be freely available in a couple months.

What to do, what to do...

#84 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

Mach 1's are in production for summer delivery according to Marj.

#85 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

Mach 1's are in production for summer delivery according to Marj.

Yeah, I got a very fast email response from the info address that they're next on the machines for late spring delivery. Now to decide if I can choke down $7K instead of $3K.

#86 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

The G-11 with the Gemini 2 will be a great mount for medium loads, more than the Mach1 from AP. It is well made, has good PE and can be updated with a One Piece Worm Block for added accuracy, for a small price. This gives better PE and easier adjustments for the RA worm and would be a good upgrade for a minimum investment.
Blueman

I'm so conflicted. I certainly can't afford the 900, and I'm on the list for the Mach-1, but I'm wondering if there's going to be a production run soon enough for me (I'm currently without a mount).

Then, there's the G-11 with the Gemini 2. I know it's not a Mach-1, but it's also half the price and should hopefully be freely available in a couple months.

#87 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:41 PM

You will NOT be sorry you got the Mach1 :bow:

All the AP mounts are in a class by themselves.

#88 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

The G-11 with the Gemini 2 will be a great mount for medium loads, more than the Mach1 from AP.

I disagree.

#89 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:52 PM

I'm quite sure I'd be happy with it. Whether I can actually afford it is another story. At least at this time in my life. For the cost of a Mach-1, I could get a Gemini 2 G-11 with the upgraded worm block, high precision worm, PA scope and knob upgrade set and have enough left over for another scope.

AND I could pay cash. I'd have to go into debt for the Mach-1 plus accessories and I'm not sure I want that.

#90 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

I'd have to go into debt for the Mach-1 plus accessories and I'm not sure I want that.

I'm pretty sure no-one here on CN would wish that for you either..,

I'd suck it up and just go where my wallet tells me I have to go.., After all, as nice as they are, you cannot eat the Mach-1 - not even with ketchup, nor can you make a mortgage payment with it..,

You gotta be true to what you know you can afford.

Regards,

skybsd

#91 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

I have, in the past carried a lot of CC debt and will be gone this month. It's a huge boat anchor that I'm glad to be rid of. It's wishful thinking that I'll be have on-hand cash in time for the Mach-1 production run.

Some day, just not right now.

#92 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

The G11 sounds like the sane choice.

#93 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

I have, in the past carried a lot of CC debt and will be gone this month. It's a huge boat anchor that I'm glad to be rid of. It's wishful thinking that I'll be have on-hand cash in time for the Mach-1 production run.

Some day, just not right now.

I know we're veering off topic but CHEERS to you for that approach!

You can't go wrong not owing the CC company :)

#94 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

Yeah...sorry for derailing the thread.

#95 alrosm

alrosm

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

My feeling is that the G11 and Titan are a great alternative if you dont want to buy the gems from celestron, you got what you pay for and AP is better if you can afford it.
Few years ago,I will have waited few more months to buy an AP, but not with this economy, I look around me and I just know it's not the way to go.

#96 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Viking 1

• Loc: Riverside Co., California

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

Yeah...sorry for derailing the thread.

Not at all - affordablility is at the core of most of our struggles to choose the right mount for our needs.

If price were no object, we probably wouldn't need advice except maybe on which mountain top to place our observatory! :grin:

I agree whole-heartedly about CC debt - I'm struggling to afford toys w/o interest payments! (Like most of us, I expect!)

Gotta keep the CFO happy! She's the LOML, after all! :grin:

Dan

#97 Don Allen

Don Allen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charleston, SC

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

I think the minute the G-11 arrives you would forget about the AP and have a few grand in your pocket.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics