Voyager test using WO ZS110, 13 Ethos & 3X barlow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

My Voyager is mounted on a Oberwerk wooden tripod that has a Vixen eyepiece tray. I didn't really expect the Voyager to work very well with the long and heavy eyepiece combo but I'm glad to say I was wrong! The 13 Ethos and 1 1/4" TV 3X barlow gave me 180X in my WO ZS110 which I used to view Jupiter and the Moon last night. The Voyager had no problem with the load provided the axis's tension adjustment knobs were tight. Damping when focusing or using slomo was 3 seconds which worked out very well given the Ethos's huge FOV. Using my cheek on the eyeguard cut that in half. The combo gave excellent optical performance and fine views of Jupiter and the Moon. My ZS weighs 18lbs without a eyepiece. David

#2 JimmyMac

JimmyMac

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

Thanks, nice to know. I've been considering this mount for a grab and go so that I don't have to lug around my CG5 all the time with my AT111EDT. My AT111EDT loaded is 16.8 lbs. That's with the mounting rings, vixen plate, red dot finder, 2" AT Diagonal, and 35mm Panoptic.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

Notice that David has a different tripod under his Voyager, that's a very important upgrade. It's not just about the total weight, it also important where that weight is. There's no way I'd want to use a stock Voyager with the AT111 on it on a regular basis. You'd have to keep a close eye on it if you didn't want to tip it over which is possible if bumped when in some orientations.

#4 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

I 2nd the comments about the tripod. I had my C80ED crash and ruin the focuser when the setup was bumped on the original Voyager tripod. When I got my SV115T I moved the Voyager head to the top of a CG5 tripod with a 12 inch pier extension. I had no fears with the setup being knocked over and it was pretty stable after adjusting the Voyager head. My current setup is a uses a DM6 on 12 inch Losmandy extension on a Berlebach Planet. It helps a lot of have a bit of mass lower in the setup.

#5 JimmyMac

JimmyMac

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

Good to know. I was gonna use the Voyager with my CG5 tripod and 16" extension anyways. That's why I wish they only sold the mount without tripod. I just want something that I can grab, and not worry about power or setup/alignment. Then when I'm not feeling lazy, I can pull off the Voyager mount and attach the CG5 mount.

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Voyager, CG-5 tripod, and Orion 16" extension is exactly how I use mine with a TMB115 refractor.

However I like the option of also have the lighter aluminum tripod for travel with a lighter scope setup.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics