aligning cgem before dusk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ewave

ewave

Apollo

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

Just a thought, is there anyway to align my CGEM before nightfall for planetary viewing?....I guess this is when I miss my former CPC mount......perhaps I should set-up the night before observing and leave it sit there while directing the mount to daytime stars until dusk.... :help:

#2 WayneJ

WayneJ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Chester, PA

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

At the moment, you should be able to catch Jupiter through the finder a good 30-45 minutes before sunset. Use the solar system alignment routine, select Jupiter... and it should be visible in the finder.

Regards,

Wayne

#3 ewave

ewave

Apollo

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

Duh!! :foreheadslap: Thanks Wayne......I found there was also a Last alignment used procedure for the CGEM which could come in handy if power is lost.......

Clear skies.

#4 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Sean,
Since I always set up in the same place (patio) in my backyard, I have painted circles the size of the Celestron antivibration pads on the blocks. The Last Align feature and something like that would help. Some folks use pegs if they are in the grass. This had made my goto and ASPA alignments go much more quickly. Unfortunately, I have ice on my patio right now...I guess I will have to chip it off. Wayne's method would certainly work well if you go remote. Is it me or does it seem colder this winter? :coldday:

#5 ewave

ewave

Apollo

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:17 AM

Sean,
Since I always set up in the same place (patio) in my backyard, I have painted circles the size of the Celestron antivibration pads on the blocks. The Last Align feature and something like that would help. Some folks use pegs if they are in the grass. This had made my goto and ASPA alignments go much more quickly. Unfortunately, I have ice on my patio right now...I guess I will have to chip it off. Wayne's method would certainly work well if you go remote. Is it me or does it seem colder this winter? :coldday:

yeah, Kirk....it's super cold this weekend (around 0 F) with another possible blizzard coming mid next week...thanks for the tip....and keep warm.....

#6 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

There are always few bright stars in the sky before dark. I always use bright stars and I am done with alignment long before I start imaging.

Peter

#7 Rob E

Rob E

Village......clown

• Loc: Where Independence Was Won

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

I usually find my viewing site on Google Earth, take a screen shot and overlay a compass rose. I then print it out and take it with me..

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics