• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

Do these updates apply to all the Celestron Hand Controllers and Motor Controllers, regardless of the mount type (Fork, ASGT, CGE, etc.). Intuitively it would seem the HC and MC for a fork mount would be somewhat different from than for a GEM.

I guess another possibility is: Run the MC and HC update programs on your PC and it accesses the Celestron site and chooses the correct download based on the mount you have. Is that how it works?

Finally, what cables (RS-232 to HC and to scope base) are required to do the updates? I do have RS232-USB converters.

#2 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:30 AM

This is what I use: http://www.skiesunli...p?ProductID=219 On second thought, I'm pretty sure that my mounts came with the appropriate cable.

If you go the Celestron site and download the firmware updates from the specific product website, you'll be fine.

Check out this, too: http://www.nexstarsi...om/Firmware.htm

I hope this helps.

Edit: My bad. I had provided the wrong link for the cable but have now corrected it.

#3 Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

Thanks, Fred. Five or so years ago I used a NexStar8GPS extensively and even upgraded the HC from the old non-flashable one to the new style (I hope all new mounts come with the type which can be upgraded as needed).

I don't recall if that fork-mount scope came with a cable or not.

Now I'm planing to buy a CG-5 GT to use with my C5+, and perhaps an 8" OTA in the future (at 74 my transporting ability is limited and the GEM mount seems less lift-challenging than a fork .. and more amenable to some astrophotography. I plan to get up to speed with my 5" SCT I have now, then go larger if the urge strikes me.

Living in the city, transportability is key for serious astronomy -- and even 5 yrs ago I found lifting the Nextstar8GPS onto the tripod base somewhat traumatic :)

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

Phil, Yes I think you've got it.

The HC serial cable is Celestron #93920. The pinouts for this little cable are on Mike's website (mentioned above) and in the back of the scope/mount manuals.

The HC and MCupdate utilities perform the firmware update but they also require you to select the appropriate level of firmware for a particular scope or mount. The utilities download the appropriate firmware from Celestron's website. So yes there is only one version of either the HC or MC update utility for all scopes and mounts.

The firmware comes in some general classes ... NSX for all the higher end Alt Az (fork mounted) scopes. GEM for the EQ mounts. There are also some others for the lower end Alt Az scopes.

Once you have one of the upgradeable HCs (v4.xx) you can flash it with firmware for any Celestron scope/mount.

#5 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

The 93922 programing cable pointed out above is not the proper cable for updating a CG-5. First of all it has been discontinued by Celestron and it was made to update the GPS and CGE mounts. (both discontinued mounts) It will not work with a CG-5 mount unless you have the AUX Port Accessory. It plugs into the PC port, an 8 terminal RJ45 type connector not the RJ11 Aux connector nor the RJ9 connector on the bottom of the HC. The proper cable is Celestron #93920. You will still need an adapter form RS 232 to USB (with driver) to connect to your computer.

Stan

#6 Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

So I need the #93920 cable and the USB-RS232 converter (which I have already). Looks like I'm good to go -- I even have dovetail plates for my scopes -- *except* that my local dealer doesn't have the mount in stock; expects some from Celestron next week. Oh, well, plenty of other things to do in the meantime.

#7 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

The 93922 programing cable pointed out above is not the proper cable for updating a CG-5. First of all it has been discontinued by Celestron and it was made to update the GPS and CGE mounts. (both discontinued mounts) It will not work with a CG-5 mount unless you have the AUX Port Accessory. It plugs into the PC port, an 8 terminal RJ45 type connector not the RJ11 Aux connector nor the RJ9 connector on the bottom of the HC. The proper cable is Celestron #93920. You will still need an adapter form RS 232 to USB (with driver) to connect to your computer.

Stan

Thanks, Stan, for posting that. I've edited my post with the correct link for the cable.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics