Photo

New CG-5/AS Owner... What should I know about it?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 tjay

tjay

Surveyor 1

• Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

The installation is very easy. I'm the kind of person who has to have almost 'plug and play' kind of things. The CG5 comes with a mounting adapter (the piece that accepts the CG5 included dovetail) that is attached to the mount with 3 screws. Simply unscrew those screws, and use those screws to attach the ADM adapter. The mounting adapter that comes with the CG5 is pushed in tightly, so you have to pull it out with a little bit of force. Once the ADM adapter is screwed down, just attach (with ADM supplied screws)whichever saddle plate you ordered. It took me all of 5 minutes to switch out. This really is a 'no brainer' installation!

Thanks Carol! I'll probably have to order one now...

#27 blave

blave

Lift Off

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

I have had one of these for a couple years, bought almost-new. Here are some general comments:

- just last week the power switch failed, costing me a night of observing. Fortunately I had read that this is a weak point of the mount so I took it apart and shorted the switch contacts together with soldered (large gauge) wire, and now just use the power socket as a "switch". My recommendation would be to leave the thirty-five cent switch "on" and plug/unplug for power control.

- The connectors on mine seem to be getting wonky. I get servo connect errors almost every time I take the mount out (at least this season) at some point. Fortunately I can press UNDO twice after an error, jiggle the cables, and try again. I have hit the connectors with contact cleaner with marginal results. This problem seems to've gotten worse over time and I still don't know where the problem is. (I use the Celestron add-on gizmo that allows PC control via some more ports - I'm not sure if the problem is in that but I suspect it's not.)

- Last week, after months of not using the mount, I took it out and did three successive alignments without getting good "gotos". However after a Factory Reset I had some of the best gotos I've had (i.e. several Messier and NGC objects were centered in my 80mm refractor/7mm Nagler EP after the go-to), over a wide swath of the sky. (2 Star Align, 1 Calibration Star, rough visual polar alignment through the mount's (optional) polar scope.) This happened to me at least once before so if things aren't working out, try the reset.

SO - I've had my share of problems but I still think the mount is a good value at its price point. At the moment I'm considering moving up to a CGEM but the weight aspect is putting me off - the AS-GT is pretty light and portable for what it can do. I have done some unguided and guided imaging with it with very satisfactory results.

Enjoy your new toy,

Dave B.
San Jose, CA

#28 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

The ADM adapter really is nice. With the spring loaded knobs on the saddle plate, it holds the scope very securely and is easy to loosen and take the scope off when desired. I'm very glad I added this upgrade.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics