Stellarvue MG2 mount

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guy Noir

Guy Noir

Mariner 2

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

Greetings,

has anybody had a chance to try out this mount?

The reason I am asking is that I just bought a 120mm ST achro, and a 127mm MakCas from fellow CNers, with an Astroview mount (also from CNer) on the way ....

however, I am already dreaming of a single AltAz mount that:
(a) can hold both side by side, BUT that has slow motion controls (an absolute MUST, so no WO, Orion etc T-mounts) and must support manual function (so no iOptrons)
(b) can be fitted with encoders at a later point
and most importantly!!!
© is not overly expensive, i.e. well under 500 $ with solid tripod but without encoders (no TV Gibraltar or similar)

So when I saw this I got excited, specially since its on sale now for 499$ ... of course its wait listed :bawling:
http://stellarvue.com/mg2.html

But then I was thinking maybe its one of those iOptron stories, were the principle idea is great, but the excecution is lacking :question:

So does any one out there have one that they can report on? My two scopes each have after market upgrades, and weigh in at around 12 and 13 lbs, respectively, when ready to go (including diagonals, EPs, et.), so will this mount support them together if they are balanced on either side, since they are both short scopes? What is the quality of slow motion control? Tension adjustment, backlash, etc.? Level of vibration?

Anyway, hope to hear and see lots of wise comments :bow:

Cheers, thanks, danke, merci beaucoup, tak så mycket,
Michael

#2 Guy Noir

Guy Noir

Mariner 2

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

What ... nobody???
:shrug:

#3 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort McMurray, AB

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

Vic usually doesn't under mount scopes, he tends to overmount and he says it's good for a 115 and another smaller scope.
Give a call, they are always helpful when I have.

#4 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

I've got the MG2 and like it a lot. Slewing is very smooth and precise with virtually no backlash. When the slo-mo tabs are locked down the slo-mo controls operate very precisely. I've had it loaded up to 25# and IMO it works fine with that load (SV102APO f/8 LOMO or Intes M6511 along with an Orion ED80). But you need a good tripod with this weight.

Attached Files

#5 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

...one more

Attached Files

#6 Guy Noir

Guy Noir

Mariner 2

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the info, Phil. I am green with envy :nonono:

Are you using the tripod from SV that it comes with? Also, looks like your using a pier extention? Correct? Where is it from?
Thanks, and again, lovely set up ... me want one ...
Cheers,
Michael

#7 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

Hi Michael,

The MG2 comes with the pier extension--it's essentially part of the mount that provides clearance from the tripod.

The tripod that I'm using is the older model Stellarvue Walnut Stablelock which is no longer offered. I've made some mods to it and it's a very solid, beautiful tripod. Stellarvue's current offering is the Maple Tripod (which I also have)that is similar to the Stablelock and they also offer a Surveyor's Tripod that will work with the MG2.

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate a bit here. I think the reason you may not have gotten a lot of response is that there are not yet a whole lot of these units in the field. When I ordered mine late last year, they'd just gotten some in from their supplier but they didn't seem to have a whole lot of them. And I think they now may be wait listed again. But I could be wrong! :tonofbricks: Best bet would be to call Stellarvue to check on current availability if you really want one.

Phil

#8 Guy Noir

Guy Noir

Mariner 2

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Will send them an email ...
... or you could just sell me yours :grin:
wink wink, nudge nudge
:john:
Michael

#9 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

... or you could just sell me yours
wink wink, nudge nudge

:lol: I don't think I'm ready to part with mine any time soon. Like it a lot! I don't usually use two scopes on it but when you're set up for a long viewing session it's really nice to get low power-wide field view and a high power shot at some special central target at the same time.

There are other mounts that'll hold two scopes (Giro, SVP AZ, WO EZT among others) but IMO the MG2 with the slo-mo controls is the best of the bunch.

Good luck in your search!

Phil

#10 philrod

philrod

Vostok 1

• Loc: Fallon, Nevada

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

I've also had my eye on the MG2 with the Sky Commander installed. However, Vic has pulled the Sky Commander from this mount due to Encoder issues. (crushed/broken wires) Says he's really busy and doesn't have time to work on a fix. He suggested I check with them in a couple of months. Guess I'll wait as i won't have the $$$$ until then anyway.

Philrod

TV85/Telepod
SV102ED/GM8
10x50 Ultraview

#11 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

Too bad. :( I know that Vic worked long and hard with their supplier to get things right with this mount and to correct deficiencies they had with the original MG. I guess the encoders still presented some issues. My copy doesn't have the encoders and works flawlessly. Except that I still have to find stuff! :p

I've owned a lot of SV equipment over the years (scopes, mounts, tripods etc) and have always been very happy with it. And their customer service is always great and Vic always seems to make himself available to talk "stuff". But I think Vic's downfall (which is also his strength :jump:) is that he's a real innovater and he often has more projects going than he can juggle at times. And he's a very small company without a large cadre to back him up.

So if I may hijack this thread for a moment, here's to SV--you never know what they're going to come up with but it's usually very good. And I think the final MG2 product with the encoders will be as well.

Now back to regular programming....

Phil

#12 Guy Noir

Guy Noir

Mariner 2

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

YES - pleeeaaasssseeee - MG2 with encoders :jump:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics