MCT - Tripod and Ball Mount suitable?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AFN

AFN

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

I was thinking that I have always loved a ball mount for photography, and wondered if anyone has found a suitable tripod and ball head combo for a midsized MCT? I have an new MCT (6", 13lbs)on the way that needs a mount. Thanks in advance for all replies.

#2 bykhed

bykhed

Viking 1

• Loc: Westminster, CO

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

You could give it a try, but any fairly heavy scope mounted upright on an alt-az will have balance issues as it is tipped. This is why alt-az mounts have the scope sideways or in a fork (like the Televue mounts) to center the weight on the point of rotation. The UA Macrostar would be a good lightweight alternative.

-Matt

#3 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

In my experience, a ball mount/ball head is not suitable for mounting a 6” MCT of 13 lb for astronomical observation because it would be difficult to position and track the sky object at middle to high magnifications.
If you prefer to use photo equipment, then I consider a Manfrotto 405 gear head to be quite suitable though nowadays it is very costly. The picture below shows a C8 (12.5 lb) on a Manfrotto gear head and a Gitzo 1415 photo tripod.

K W TONG
C8+CG5 GT, TSA102+HEQ5 PRO, MK67+Voyager, NexStar 6SE, C5+Mizar K, WO ZS80FD+Kenko NES, Megrez 72FD+Kenko KDS, Mini Borg 50, PST

Attached Files

#4 williamichang

williamichang

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Beijing, China

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:38 PM

Using a ballhead you can also mount the scope side-saddle, the "lip" of the ballhead casing supporting the ball stalk, so to speak, acting as altitude bearing.

This has worked well for me a couples sizes down but perhaps at a similar weight ratio: 80mm spotter, pretty small ballhead. For smoother altitude motion I wrapped the stalk with plumber's teflon tape.

-- William

(Pentax PF-80EDA, small ballhead, Hakuba CF tripod 6lb total)

#5 AFN

AFN

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback - and the pics. Exactly where i was headed.

#6 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

The requirements for a telescope and camera are different. You'd have to work to track an object at any kind of magnification with a scope on a ball head mount. You'll have to fight the tendency for it to want to tip over. It's that ol' "Right tool for the right job" thing! ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics