Broken Orion Atlas EQ-G ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TheVegasViewer

TheVegasViewer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

I just purchased, and received a brand new Orion Atlas EQ-G Goto Mount. I've never owned one before, so I don't know the particulars, about it. I've been putting it together, and following the instruction. For the Goto controller, there is a bracket, that is supposed to attach to the tripod center support tray (the one with the holes in it, for holding eyepieces), by sliding into a slot. The instructions say "simply line up the tab on the back of the bracket with the notch in the tripod center support tray and slide the bracket forward until it "clicks" into place". Well, when I slide it in, there is no "click". There is also nothing to hold the bracket cradle in. Looking at the back-side of the cradle, where it's supposed to overlap one of the holes that can hold a 1 1/4 inch eyepiece, there is a TINY, square "notch", that comes down about 1/16 of an inch, but, surely, not NEARLY enough to hold the bracket in !! As a matter of fact, while holding the controller, if I were to tilt the whole telescope forward, the whole bracket would slide out, onto the floor !!

Looking at this square notch, that is supposed to hold the cradle (and obviously, can't hold it, securely), it looks like it might have been longer, or had a piece on the end, that broke off, but I'm not sure. Is this piece (if it's broken off), the piece that is supposed to "click in" and hold the bracket on, securely ?

I would GREATLY appreciate it, if anyone who has bought a new Orion Atlas EQ-G Goto mount, would chime in, and tell me if my plastic bracket, that is SUPPOSED to hold the Goto controller is correct, as is, with just a tiny square notch, about 1/16 of an inch, thick, or if it arrived from the factory, broken, and the piece that is supposed to "click in", to secure it, is broken off, and missing.

Sorry, for the long description, but it's kinda hard ot get across.

Thanks,

Mark

#2 Kellogg

Kellogg

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NS, Canada

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

Hi Mark,

I doubt its broken, I received my SkyWatcher NEQ6 PRO (identical to the Atlas) yesterday and my controller clip is the same. I've not used it as its not secure.

I'll possibly go down the velcro route with a couple of spots on the mount to secure the controller, i'll experiment with a suitable spot over the weekend.

Mat

#3 ad701xx

ad701xx

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

Mark,

no problem with your description. Mine is the exact same way.

What I did to "fix" mine is cut some duct tape strips and stick them on the bottom of the support/eyepiece tray on either side of the U-shaped cut-out. This makes it so the backet won't tilt and the little, too-short nub actually locks the bracket in place. It took 3 layers of tape IIRC.

I'd probably come up with something more permanent but I hardly ever use the hand controller. I usually use a laptop to control the mount.

#4 TheVegasViewer

TheVegasViewer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:13 AM

Mat and Dave:

Thanks, guys. I wanted to make sure that the piece wasn't broken, even before I assembled it. I found it hard to believe, that such a beautiful mount, so well hand-crafted, could have ONE piece, in it, that was so poorly designed and manufactured !! Another concern, I had, that I forgot to mention, was the fact that MANY of the cords and cables came in clear zip-lock type freezer-type bags. This seemed strange to me. Almost like they had been returned, once, already. This did NOT help my suspicion that the controller bracket might be broken.

Thanks, again, for the confirmation, and advice,

Mark

#5 Planemo

Planemo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Alabama Gulf Coast

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:27 AM

It doesn't click into place very well on my new Atlas either, I took a thin velcro wire tie and secured it into place that way and it seems to work fine.

#6 TheVegasViewer

TheVegasViewer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

Thanks, Planemo. It's a shame they couldn't have put a little more effort, into this small, but necessary accessory.

Mark

#7 Kellogg

Kellogg

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NS, Canada

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

all my cables came in the same clear zip lock bags.

could you tell which of the two altitude bolts are which as one was longer than the other.

#8 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

I got one this week and had the exact same question about the hand controller cradle. Thought mine must have been broken. At least I know it's normal. It will be easy to rig it up with a screw or Velcro though. The mount itself is operating great which is the important thing. PE is smooth and it guides well. Backlash is minimal. Even the polar scope reticle was perfectly aligned out of the box. I'm very happy so far.

#9 Rogersup

Rogersup

Lift Off

• Loc: ABQ NM

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

Got mine Wednesday. And my "holder" has behaved the same as everyone else's. No worries, though. My 8" extension arrived yesterday and today the Atlas sits on my pier. No more need for the "holder".

#10 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

Mine was the same way. It is stuff like this that makes me laugh sometimes. It takes seconds to tap a hole and supply a thumbscrew to secure the clamp.... but it has a big positive impact on the consumer when it is done well. I'm always surprised vendors don't do this... Oh well.

#11 TheVegasViewer

TheVegasViewer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback, guys. Seems we have a consensus of opinion, here.

Mat:

I'm not sure if that was a question, or not. But I'm not sure, about the L-Bolts. The latitude is set on mine, and I don't want to mess with it, again. It's disassembled, and in storage, right now, anyway. I just move them, in unison, One loosen, and one tighten, and watch which way the latitude is going, up or down. If it's wrong, I just reverse the directions. They DO seem to have turned AWFULLY HARD !! I took off the 22 lbs. of counter-weights, and it STILL turned with GREAT difficulty !! I was even worried that I might do damage to the mount.

Just a tip, for everyone who might have an Explore Scientifc ED127 on the mount, like me. If you store the scope in it's carrying case, before you put the scope in the foam cut-out, remove the two plastic screws that hold the finder scope in place. They are too far around to the side, and the telescope fit is too snug. The FIRST time I removed the scope, BRAND NEW, it came out AWFUL HARD !! Turned out these screws were catching on the foam, and one broke off !! ES is sending me replacements, as I speak. Live and learn.

Mark

#12 bbbri

bbbri

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio, United States

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

Mine was the same. I taped it in place. This was one small problem on an otherwise good mount. Seems like it should fit right in the first place, though.

#13 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:06 AM

FYI, I don't use the hand controller bracket anyway. Instead, I've installed adhesive Velcro on the back of the hand controller and on the top aluminum castings into which each of the tripod legs inserts. I simply park the controller on the most convenient Velcro strip to where I happen to be seated when observing.

Regards,

Jim

#14 charles1317

charles1317

Open Mouth, Insert Foot

• Loc: Olympia, Wa USA

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:10 AM

Mine was the same as well. I took a heatgun and heated the tab on the controller holder up enough to bend it down a bit. Once cooled it "clicked" in nicely and I've never had a problem since.

#15 Jimbodaddy

Jimbodaddy

Lift Off

• ***--
  • Loc: N.E. Georgia

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

I'll just add another "Mine is the same" post. I did the Velcro fix on each of the tripod legs as well. I like the idea with the heat gun. I'm going to try that.

Jim

#16 Rogersup

Rogersup

Lift Off

• Loc: ABQ NM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

Mine's the same but it seems to be loosening up with use. Or I'm getting much stronger from twisting those latitude bolts!

"I'm not sure if that was a question, or not. But I'm not sure, about the L-Bolts. The latitude is set on mine, and I don't want to mess with it, again. It's disassembled, and in storage, right now, anyway. I just move them, in unison, One loosen, and one tighten, and watch which way the latitude is going, up or down. If it's wrong, I just reverse the directions. They DO seem to have turned AWFULLY HARD !! I took off the 22 lbs. of counter-weights, and it STILL turned with GREAT difficulty !! I was even worried that I might do damage to the mount. "

#17 Planemo

Planemo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Alabama Gulf Coast

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:19 AM

The mount itself is operating great which is the important thing. PE is smooth and it guides well. Backlash is minimal. Even the polar scope reticle was perfectly aligned out of the box. I'm very happy so far.

Yeah, I thought I would have to align my polar scope too but it too seemed to be perfect out of the box, I was even able to get almost perfect 3 star alignment on the first try, and got it perfect on the second night out, it was nailing every target I sent it to dead center!!!
I was even able to take 3 1/2 min. exposures unguided...

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics