warping my lxd75

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 10KL

10KL

Vostok 1

• ****-

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:58 AM

thinking of installing a warp belt drive on my lxd75. yes, i know, there is a yahoo group devoted to this topic. which is why i would like to hear from CN-ers on this topic. i am about to delve into astrophotography once the mile-thick snow melts, and would like to prep my mount ahead of time. i was initially thinking of hyper tuning it. but i really like the idea of a belt drive over an average system of screws and gears.

thank you!

#2 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort McMurray, AB

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:16 AM

Warp seems to have a loyal following for his modifications. Don't think I've ever read any horror stories about the conversion.

#3 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:44 AM

I did it to mine,and it worked ok...still noise.y.
I think some impovment,but not a whole bunch..
would I do it again....? dont know....
The only thing the belt kit does is replace the gear from motor to worm....thats it....keeps a constent tenison though.I also hypertuned the lxd75,but it didnt need it.But a lxd55 does...55 no bearnings....imho

#4 bardo

bardo

Viking 1

• Loc: US

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

i have an lxd75 for visual and honestly i took the warps off. i dont know how much they help with backlash in terms of AP but i found them at best no better than stock for my use. id willing to sell them if you want them.

#5 guyinthesky

guyinthesky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: western ma.

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:58 AM

if everyone went to a yahoo group for questions this site would not exist. i always wonder why people get redirected to yahoo ?

#6 10KL

10KL

Vostok 1

• ****-

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

i have an lxd75 for visual and honestly i took the warps off. i dont know how much they help with backlash in terms of AP but i found them at best no better than stock for my use. id willing to sell them if you want them.

what kind of scope did you have on that mount at the time? the point behind my wanting to install the belt drive is to somehow compensate for the enormity of my SN10, which i am planning on eventually using for astrophoto. in the meantime, i have a 98mm triplet to get me started in AP, which i assume could be easily autoguided without warp or hyper tuning. i was thinking of at least replacing original grease with the suggested one.

if everyone went to a yahoo group for questions this site would not exist. i always wonder why people get redirected to yahoo ?

i hear you. my reservation about entities such as yahoo groups is that i may encounter people who put ego before objectivity. and objectivity is something that i value greatly when it comes to CN. which is why i made a point of it in my original post.

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

what kind of scope did you have on that mount at the time? the point behind my wanting to install the belt drive is to somehow compensate for the enormity of my SN10, which i am planning on eventually using for astrophoto.

The belt drive thing will help with backlash, but it will not make the LXD 75 enough mount for a 10-inch, especially photographically. The minimum for that is the Atlas/CGEM.

#8 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

The newer lxd75s are fine mounts,but they only handle so much..I would not use a 20lbs scope for ap with it!.The belt drive will not increase the payload!I hypertuned mine about 3 years ago and to be truthfull it did not need it.It had good grease,but I did it anyway..If you have an older mount>4-5 years ago it might have the old black grease.But I dont think so..Most of that came from the lxd55,which I bought from meade 2 years ago and it has good grease..It may have went through there repair shop..I have 2 atlas mounts and hypertuned my first(about 4-5 years old,it had black grease,but my other atlas 2years old has good grease..They both work the same.So I guess it just depends when they were made.
I was happy with the belt drive and hypertune I did,but I would not do it again on a lxd75 if it hase good clear grease.If anything,regrease if in dought and set the worm and motor gears corectly..That will be u best improvment..
But the belt drive was ok...but not needed.

#9 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

I used an LXD75 for imaging before my present mount, and I warped and hypertuned it. The Warps kit made a big difference to my imaging I think. However, I played around a lot with getting the tension and pulley placement just right so that there was no slack in the belt and the belt did not rub and bind. Didn't improve the PE, but it did get rid of a lot of the chatter (random error) caused by the poor mesh of the cheap aluminum gears. I was imaging with a 30lb payload: SN8 + guidescope + imaging kit. Most (all) would say that's too much for the LXD75, and they're probably right, but I was able to get decent images because the LXD was mounted to a (literally) rock-solid permanent pier in an observatory where I could tweek the balance and polar alignment to my hearts content. Eventually got tired of fighting the mount for my images and bought a better one, but the LXD was a good mount for learning the hobby.
...Keith

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics