39 replies to this topic

#1 blind daniel

blind daniel

Vostok 1

• Loc: Miami, FL

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

for a newbie like me,
who only does visual (no AP),
would I be able to tell the difference between the traditional C8 and the EdgeHD 8 ? Is it worth the extra dough and weight ?
grazie,

#2 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

I can NOT answer your question as I own 8 and 11 inch REGULAR Scts BUT have looked thru a buddies new 8' Edge a few times...

To me as a 100 percent visual observer who honestly does not dwell looking at the stars at the extreme edge of the eyepieces FOV I "personally" do not see the Edge being worth the extra money....

BUT BELIEVE Me the edge is better... no ands no ifs nor any butts but a visual observer who uses a Focal reducer combined with a pair of old worn out eyeballs have no desire (READ NEED) to upgrade...

Bob G.

#3 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hello,
Good to hear from you.,

These are two different questions, really..,

for a newbie like me,
who only does visual (no AP),
would I be able to tell the difference between the traditional C8 and the EdgeHD 8 ?

On axis there will be very little - if zero difference. However, by its very nature and intended design enhancements, edge performance is where (for someone like me, discernible) difference lies.

Is it worth the extra dough and weight ?

Well.., the weight difference between the EdgeHD-8 and C8-XLT is really just 1.5lbs. Does that really matter to you?

"Worth it".., This is where it gets tricky, and to be honest, personal. My view is that if one can afford it, there's not a lot of reason not to get the EdgeHD-8.

Its the latest, greatest model available with a better resale value for both visual-observing as well as for dabbling in photography.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

skybsd

#4 mexjon

mexjon

Poet Laureate

• Loc: Florida - Yucatan, Mexico

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

BUT BELIEVE Me the edge is better... no ands no ifs nor any butts but a visual observer who uses a Focal reducer combined with a pair of old worn out eyeballs have no desire (READ NEED) to upgrade...

I'm with you, Bob. Besides, I only recently bought the 8SE, and it seems just fine to me.

#5 ewave

ewave

Apollo

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

For visual only, I might wait for the CPC-Edge, but it's a tough call. The views are incredible in my edge, but I miss the ergonomics and ease of set-up of the CPC mount vs a GEM.

#6 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

I agree with skybsd that the extra money spent is worth it later one even if you don't THINK you need an EdgeHD.

The reality though is that the edge correction on the EdgeHD design is noticably improved over the standard SCT.

If you think you may want to eventually exploit low power Naglers or similar eyepeice types, then I would highly recommend the EdgeHD.

If you think you will be using mostly 1.25" eyepieces, or will limit yourself to Panoptics or similar for your low power work, the the EdgeHD is perhaps not quite as necessary.

I sold a superb classic C8 about 13 months ago to buy an EdgeHD 8". I am utterly THRILLED with this upgrade. Using a 31mm Nagler and 20mm Nagler, the field is wonderfully sharp to the edge.

On the other side of the coin, big Naglers are expensive. With what you save by buying a standard SCT, you can buy a nice 35mm Panoptic and 2" diagonal

The EdgeHD though is superb. Having owned several SCTs, the EdgeHD has been one of the most satisfying to use. The view with Naglers is simply wonderful.

#7 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

I might wait for the CPC-Edge

Did they announce that Sean...or is that a rumor??? :grin: Not that it would be a bad idea. Anyway to stay on topic. I would say that getting an EdgeHD might improve the OPs chance of getting a better optical specimen. I am not saying anything bad about the standard C8's as many folks have recieved very good specimens of std. C8s. On the other side of the coin, for visual only you could save a few bucks with the standard 8" SCT over the EdgeHD and spend it on some nice EPs.

#8 ewave

ewave

Apollo

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

Just a hopeful rumor, Kirk....but you never know? :fingerscrossed:

#9 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: IN

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Why would Celestron put a Optical tube like the Edge that was design mostly for astrophotography on a mount that can't do that.Ain't happening.

#10 ewave

ewave

Apollo

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

Why would Celestron put a Optical tube like the Edge that was design mostly for astrophotography on a mount that can't do that.Ain't happening.

Gee, this has been already opined. Did you not hear other's views about theirs? I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree, besides the ability to use a wedge for ap when one wants. The flat/coma free views have been well confirmed for viewing pleasure.

#11 Ennis

Ennis

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Outer Limits

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

Celestron sells the regular C8 for $1049 and the EdgeHD C8 for $1299. So the difference is just $250.

E.

#12 blind daniel

blind daniel

Vostok 1

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

true dat for new cats,
but among the used,
the difference is greater:
on astromart the 2 recent edges are at $1000,
whereas a C8 is $500 .

#13 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

...and if you were going to pay $1K, there is a guy with a very nice looking Std. C11 on Amart with goodies included at that price. I am not sure what you are going to mount this on, but if I were going visual only and had the mount to do it...the 11" would be very tempting!

#14 jean-jack

jean-jack

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: normandy-france

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

So... sharp to the edge but is the two more lens add some chromatic aberration ? And back focus distance could be more critical. Avoid crayford and 2" diagonal !
See : astroforen.de > forum > test reports > sharp to the edge.

#15 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:22 AM

I had the chance to buy the Edge C11 last year but opted for a standard C11 and just added a f/6.3FR-corrector which I already had from prviously owned SCTs. Visually this gives me a wonderful visual wide feild (for a SCT) with my 31mm Nagler EP with no edge issues.

#16 blind daniel

blind daniel

Vostok 1

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

my goal is to use it in my astrotech voyager az,
the c8 is at the weight limit,
the edge is 1lb above,
id love the c11,
but it'd need a bulkier mount/tripod,
a fatter wallet,
and a bigger apt...

#17 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:49 AM

I see your point. I would just try to find the best and newest std. 8" SCT (used) and go with that. Since you are in the Altanta area your chances of finding one local that you could go check out are better than folks out in the country, or make sure you buy from a well rated seller if doing the shipping method. Stay away from the mid-eighties models, as that was the Halley's comet era and the quality of Cs SCTs was questionable then.

#18 Douglas729

Douglas729

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clarksville Mo.

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

I was just curious...do you take the Carl Sagan quote regarding the 'insignificance' of our galactic location as a premise for a 'meaningless of life' attitude?

It reminds me of that most undistinguished Kansas song 'all we are is dust in the wind'

Excuse me, I don't intend to meddle but I love knowing from my experience that 'being here now' puts one's spirit at the center of All That Is.

#19 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

The CPC EdgeHD is now available!!!!!!

http://www.celestron...y.php?CatID=138

Peter

#20 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

I love knowing from my experience that 'being here now' puts one's spirit at the center of All That Is.

Which is what we all LIKE to think, anyway, and which was what caused a lot of the unhappiness over Copernicus and Galileo. :lol:

To stay on topic, while I like the Edge HDs, the cost/performance/versatility equation solves for a standard SCT with the Celestron reducer/corrector. ;)

#21 barasits

barasits

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

Uncle Rod, your equation is missing the personal preference variable. For me, the performance improvement of the EdgeHD was enough to justify replacing my standard SCT. But I understand that it might not be enough of a difference for others.

Geoff

#22 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

Uncle Rod, your equation is missing the personal preference variable. For me, the performance improvement of the EdgeHD was enough to justify replacing my standard SCT. But I understand that it might not be enough of a difference for others.

Geoff

It's not for me. Why not? The reducer problem. So far no reducer has been shown to be fully suitable with these scopes. That means observing and imaging at f/10.

And the dirty little secret? With the Celestron r/c in place the field in a standard SCT looks very close to that of an HD.

It's considerably cheaper, and I like THAT, too. :lol:

#23 barasits

barasits

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

It's not for me. Why not? The reducer problem. So far no reducer has been shown to be fully suitable with these scopes. That means observing and imaging at f/10.

Patience. The reducer will come.

And the dirty little secret? With the Celestron r/c in place the field in a standard SCT looks very close to that of an HD.

It's not for me.

It's considerably cheaper, and I like THAT, too. :lol:

I've got no comeback for that one. :shrug:

Geoff

#24 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

[

It's not for me.

That's fine...as always, I can only relate my own experience... ;)

#25 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:51 AM

As they say, to each his/her own!
As I see it all new Celestron series will be based on the HD scopes from now on

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics