• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

900's specifically... and yes I should have asked myself this question before buying, and yes I should ask AP... but darn it I'm gonna ask this group anyway! :lol:

I'm curious about capacity ratings.

My assumption would be the rule of thumb of 1/2*official rating needn't apply to the high-dollar handmade mounts?

True?

I'm contemplating budget for the next steps... and I figured I'd start with weight limits since that is an effectively hard-limit.

Thanks!

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

The 900 is rated for photographic loads. No need to derate it. I once asked Roland about mounting a 12", f16 classic cassigrain on mine which weighs about 100lbs +/-. He said it would be fine for visual use. It was.

#3 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

There is close to 100 lbs of CW's on the shaft here:

Posted Image

#4 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

There is close to 100 lbs of CW's on the shaft here:

Posted Image

Scope ID please? :)

#5 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

[Mr. Burns from The Simpsons]

Exxxxxxcellllleeennnttt.

[/Mr. Burns from The Simpsons]

Thanks guys!!

#6 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

Heck with scope I'D, where'd ya get that huge CW?

#7 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:04 PM

It's a Tinsley classical cassigrain from the early 60's. It was donated to our astronomy club by the University of Rochester when they decommissioned it. It was in very bad shape and was completely restored including mirror coatings. The CW came with the mount for the scope. The dome itself was donated along with the scope. Tinsley

#8 Sharkman

Sharkman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nelson, New Zealand

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

In addition to weight, another factor to consider with regard to capacity is the total lever arm. A longer lever requires more torque -- so the capacity should be higher for a cat/cas/mak/newt than a long refractor or a complex stacked setup.

Expected wind would also be worth factoring-in.

#9 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

Sharkman, thanks.

I'm leaning toward saving for something like a 12" truss RC. I'm a ways off from affording that, but something of that class. They are typically 40-50 lbs scope only, so gets me close to 65-70 when it's all said and done with guider, cam etc. I was trying to get a feel for that.

For that setup, the majority of weight would be around the primary mirror/body of the scope, so the DEC lever arm should be small. Not much I can do about the RA lever arm, except choose a small/lighter guide option. OAG may be best anyway.

Thanks for the inputs.

I should add there will be other, smaller, less expensive scopes in between now and something of that nature, so the AP900 was the right choice for me cost wise and timing, but I'm just curious how far it can go.

#10 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

It's a Tinsley classical cassigrain from the early 60's. It was donated to our astronomy club by the University of Rochester when they decommissioned it. It was in very bad shape and was completely restored including mirror coatings. The CW came with the mount for the scope. The dome itself was donated along with the scope. Tinsley

Sweet!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics