Portable Mount

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gcuff

gcuff

Lift Off

• Loc: Cayman Islands

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:43 AM

I am looking for a portable GOTO mount (head max 25lb) that can be used as a grab and go but also for AP with up to a 11lb APO. I looked at the CG-5GT but as I live at 20 degrees North there are issues with the latitude adjustment. The Ioptron 45 is a possibility but I am concerned about its "newness". I have a possibility of a lightly used well priced Vixen SXD but wonder whether a Sirius EQ-G would give me similar performance at a much lower price point. And then there is the GM-8.

Your comments and experiences would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Geoff

#2 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Viking 1

• Loc: Riverside Co., California

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

There was a nice review thread about the new iOptron mount on CN mount forum just a while ago. You can search there and get lots of good info.

DB

#3 gcuff

gcuff

Lift Off

• Loc: Cayman Islands

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I read that (all 34 pages) and certainly meets a lot of the criteria but there were some quality issues. The other mounts I have no experience of and, living outside of the USA, it is not easy to "touch and feel" mounts in a local store.

I suppose an Mach 1 would solve everything, including emptying my wallet:)

Regards

#4 doctordub

doctordub

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: New Rochelle, New York

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

You could use a Vixen SXW for the weight you will be imaging with. The price for new and used SXW is much lower than the SXD.
CS

#5 phil piburn

phil piburn

Viking 1

• Loc: Kansas City Mo

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

What about the new Clestron LCM go to mount. Been wanting
one myself but have not read anything about them.

#6 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

Cannot comment on the other mounts but the Sirius is a nice light little mount that is very quiet when doing goto's. I really like it a lot, but it does not handle weight well. With 25lbs on board you are going to have vibration issues even with vibration pads under the legs. I use mine only for visual observing with my C8 or my AT106, which are both 13.5lbs counting the mounting hardware. Tried it with a C9.25 and the level of vibration was to annoying even for visual use, and that was only 24lbs.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics