CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Portable Mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 gcuff

gcuff

Lift Off

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:43 AM

I am looking for a portable GOTO mount (head max 25lb) that can be used as a grab and go but also for AP with up to a 11lb APO. I looked at the CG-5GT but as I live at 20 degrees North there are issues with the latitude adjustment. The Ioptron 45 is a possibility but I am concerned about its "newness". I have a possibility of a lightly used well priced Vixen SXD but wonder whether a Sirius EQ-G would give me similar performance at a much lower price point. And then there is the GM-8.

Your comments and experiences would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Geoff

#2 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Viking 1

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

There was a nice review thread about the new iOptron mount on CN mount forum just a while ago. You can search there and get lots of good info.

DB

#3 gcuff

gcuff

Lift Off

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I read that (all 34 pages) and certainly meets a lot of the criteria but there were some quality issues. The other mounts I have no experience of and, living outside of the USA, it is not easy to "touch and feel" mounts in a local store.

I suppose an Mach 1 would solve everything, including emptying my wallet:)

Regards

#4 doctordub

doctordub

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

You could use a Vixen SXW for the weight you will be imaging with. The price for new and used SXW is much lower than the SXD.
CS

#5 phil piburn

phil piburn

Viking 1

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

What about the new Clestron LCM go to mount. Been wanting
one myself but have not read anything about them.

#6 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

Cannot comment on the other mounts but the Sirius is a nice light little mount that is very quiet when doing goto's. I really like it a lot, but it does not handle weight well. With 25lbs on board you are going to have vibration issues even with vibration pads under the legs. I use mine only for visual observing with my C8 or my AT106, which are both 13.5lbs counting the mounting hardware. Tried it with a C9.25 and the level of vibration was to annoying even for visual use, and that was only 24lbs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics