• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim L

Tim L

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a used Orion paragon mount with a standard alt-az camera head, and a tabletop Orion EQ mount.

I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the head from the paragon and if the EQ head can be placed on the tripod?

If so, where do I start dismantling the paragon head? It's mounted on an elevator shaft, and there isn't an obvious bolt in view. Not sure how messy it's going to be if I open everything up.

The EQ-1 head has a shaft with internal threads that would need to be fixed to the tripod.

Thanks for any tips! :rainbow:

#2 Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald

Ranger 4

• Loc: Circling the Black Hole

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

Tim,
I have the Paragon HD, hopefully it's similar to the lighter duty one. Mine has a disk attached to the center column. On top of that disk is another disk with graduations on it. The top disk unscrews from the bottom disk revealing a 1/4-20 thread. You might need a large pair of pliers to grip the top disk as it's pretty tight. Turn it counter-clockwise and it should come loose.

Good luck!

Tom

#3 Tim L

Tim L

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

Thanks, Tom.

Looks like I'll have to remove the alt section first to be able to get at the az hub.

The paragon head has such a gooey sound from whatever fluid is in there, I was afraid if I unscrewed something I was going to have oil everywhere!

#4 Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald

Ranger 4

• Loc: Circling the Black Hole

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

"Looks like I'll have to remove the alt section first to be able to get at the az hub."
No, you should be able to grip the top disk with the pliers and turn it off without taking anything else apart first.

"The paragon head has such a gooey sound from whatever fluid is in there, I was afraid if I unscrewed something I was going to have oil everywhere!"
That's not a "fluid"! :roflmao: Don't know what it is, but mine leaked all over a chair it was leaning against this past summer. Heat does wonders with that stuff.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics