sLope buggy?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Holland

Mike Holland

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

I'm interested in getting a ScopeBuggy to deal with the weight of my scope, but my driveway slopes downward toward the street. Does anyone have experience using a ScopeBuggy in a similar situation?

What I'm concerned with is how I put the brakes on when I've reached the place that I want to be set up. I don't see that these even have brakes, let alone whether you can activate them without letting go of the scope. Thanks!

Mike

#2 Doubleglaze

Doubleglaze

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific NW

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

Hi Mike -

I have a Scope Buggy and sometimes use it on my driveway which has a bit of a slope. I set up there when the seeing isn't great, when I have a good night I go further out into the yard.

The buggy doesn't really have any braking mechanism - you pull the cart to the location you want to set up in, then drop the pull handle and hope the buggy doesn't slide back. You can twist the front wheel to cross it against the direction of motion and this should hold the buggy still, at least long enough to get some blocks behind the back wheels. I wouldn't count on the crossed front wheel to hold the buggy still for long though. Once you get the cart held by the back wheel blocks, drop the leveling screws to lock the cart in place, then it shouldn't move around.

On the driveway I use 3 hockey pucks underneath the leveling screws, this keeps from dinging up the driveway with the threaded screws. If its cold out the pucks are hard which could make them slide a little if they were against smooth pavement - in my case there's somewhat rough concrete so its OK.

So, the answer depends on how big of a slope you are talking about. I can make it work with ~5 degree slope by being careful with the back wheels and locking the cart down with the leveling screws, not sure I'd be comfortable trying this with a 15 degree slope though.

Mark

#3 Mike Holland

Mike Holland

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

Mark,

Thanks very much for the informative post. Perhaps I could make it work by putting out blocks where I think I'll need to set up, then put one block behind the front wheel to hold it until I can get blocks behind the other wheels.

I'll have to think about this one more!

Mike

#4 jsiska

jsiska

Viking 1

• Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

This may sound stupid, but I wonder if a bicycle shop could improvise and install a set of wide tire mountain bicycle caliper brake assemblies on the rear wheels along with installing cables and brake-levers on the tow handle.

#5 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:48 PM

There is nothing other than the leveling screws.

#6 Mike Holland

Mike Holland

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:36 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

I think I'm going to just bring the mount and scope out one piece at a time. It's really not far, and the scope can cool while I set up.

Mike

#7 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:09 PM

I have a scope buggy but don't have any type of incline I have to go down but there is a threshold from my garage door to the driveway and I always hold onto the scope when I go over that threshold so as not to jar the scope too much. You could hold onto the scope as you are coming down the driveway until you get to where you want to go and while still holding onto the scope, you could move to the back of the scope and start screwing down the placement screws. The scope will never move because are still holding onto it. You could keep the screws just a little off of the ground at all times so just a few turns and the screws are into the ground or driveway.

#8 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

• Loc: Northeast, FL

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Interesting idea, but really not necessary. My roll out set up would roll down hill too, but setting the front screw as I hold the handle is all that's needed.

I don't like scope buggies, and mine sits unused while I use a Whellie Bar from JMI. My load however is in excess of 150 pounds. Scope Buggy just had too much flex for this set up.

Posted Image

This may sound stupid, but I wonder if a bicycle shop could improvise and install a set of wide tire mountain bicycle caliper brake assemblies on the rear wheels along with installing cables and brake-levers on the tow handle.

#9 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

I don't like scope buggies, and mine sits unused while I use a Whellie Bar from JMI. My load however is in excess of 150 pounds. Scope Buggy just had too much flex for this set up.

I had somewhat the same attitude with my 180+lb setup until I "upgraded" my Scopebuggy by bolting through the cross members and replacing the leveling bolts with larger ones. Now there's no discernible flex.

#10 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

• Loc: Northeast, FL

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Glad it worked out for you Mark. The scope buggy served me well with a refractor on an EM 400. If I ever get a lighter load I've got the Buggy in reserve. I usually shoot 1800 sec exposures (narrow band) and I need a rock solid footing.

I had better luck with Scope Rollers than scope buggy for lighter loads though.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics