• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nigel_Choy

Nigel_Choy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

I need advice on choosing an EQ mount (not wedge) for low latitude area like Malaysia. I live in Malaysia and my latitude here is 3.

Is there any solution I can do to take long exposure ,guided astrophotography using a Eq Mount?

I do know the HD pro wedge can be use for low latitudes. I'm just wondering if there's a mount. It's self

Many thanks

Regards,
Nigel

#2 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

• Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hello Nigel, I also have a similar problem, but is less dramatic as yours (I live at 18 degrees N; Puerto Rico). The thing is, it's difficult, but not impossible, to get an equatorial mount to go that low without modification. What I did was to get an Sirius EQ-G, with has an specified latitude range of 9 to 72 degrees. However, to get the mount to work for me, I also needed to add a pier extension that I already had (the SkyView Pro mount extension) so the counterweights cleared the north tripod leg (you could also increase the length of the two back legs and leave the north leg short, that would tilt the telescope to a lower latitude but will also affect adversely its balance).

The Advanced Series CG5 is supposedly capable of also going to an lower altitude, but for that you will need to unattach the plate where the front latitude screw goes through, since if not the front motor housing will hit the screw. Changing the legs length as I described before will yield the same results as above (and risks). Of course, to clear tripod leg you will also need the pier extension (the same SVP one will work also for the CG5). In fact, it works for the Orion's Astro View, Sky View Pro, Sirius EQ-G, and Celestron's CG4 and CG5, and who know which ones also from other brands.

I do not know if there is a EQ mount with the ability of going to such low latitudes without any modifications (I guess the manufacturers do not like us tropical people ;)), but I think that with a combination of the remedies I stated above, I bet you will solve your problem.

#3 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

Nigel

I live in Singapore.

The usual method is to get a vixen sphinx or GP-D / GP-D2 and buy the vixen half-pier.

I went cheap and just got the Orion SkyViewPro 16" pier for my GP. works fine. These will work without any problems, the vixen mounts go to zero latitude. the pier is to prevent the counterweights from hitting the tripod legs.

if you get a pier mount (like the Antares pier) instead of a tripod.. then you don't need the half-pier at all. This is good because the vixen half pier goes for $200.

If your budget is more into Takahashi territory, make sure to order the one for low latitudes (0 degree to 50 degree).

#4 Nigel_Choy

Nigel_Choy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:57 AM

Is the pier permanently there or can I move it around the house?

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:28 AM

this pier (the PED4)

http://www.antaresop...ies/mounts.html

so you can buy a mount head without tripod, and just use this pier instead. save money on the tripod and on the half pier as well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics