Photo

Ethernet to USB Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

Better check if it has a good return policy. USB is known to be not that universal.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#27 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

I don't recall the specifics, but by going through the device manager, you can reassign the COM port used, to anything that is open.

Also, if the device is not being detected, (if you haven't already done so) plug it into the computer directly, first, to get the drivers loaded.

Hope this helps. I'm posting this more from my computer background than from my telescope equipment experience.

David

#28 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

The drivers were already loaded when the camera was first connected directly to USB port of laptop. I have been using the camera connected directly to the laptop for over a year and has been working great. Then after the camera was connected to the "box", the laptop never detected the camera.

Peter

#29 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:38 PM

I use an ICRON Ranger unit to connect over Cat5 to my backyard observatory. I've been able to run PHD to my DSIpro guide camera via a GPUSB unit to the mount guide port, Starry Night Pro via ASCOM to my Mach1GTO mount serial port via a USB-Serial adapter as well as a separate mount port control via APs PulseGuide, my JMI focuser via the ASCOM driver, and my QHY8. Everyting is connected either directly to the ICRON Ranger 4-port USB2 hub or to a separate powered hub connected into the Ranger unit. Everything can be controlled and run simultaneously. I expect to add a FW in the near future via a separate ASCOM interface, and given how flawlessly everything has worked with this unit, I don't expect any problems.
...Keith

#30 dkb

dkb

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

I use an ICRON Ranger unit to connect over Cat5 to my backyard observatory. I've been able to run PHD to my DSIpro guide camera via a GPUSB unit to the mount guide port, Starry Night Pro via ASCOM to my Mach1GTO mount serial port via a USB-Serial adapter as well as a separate mount port control via APs PulseGuide, my JMI focuser via the ASCOM driver, and my QHY8. Everyting is connected either directly to the ICRON Ranger 4-port USB2 hub or to a separate powered hub connected into the Ranger unit. Everything can be controlled and run simultaneously. I expect to add a FW in the near future via a separate ASCOM interface, and given how flawlessly everything has worked with this unit, I don't expect any problems.
...Keith

Keith, thanks for the informative post! That settles it for me at least! The icron device seems like a much better solution then trying to get some proprietary drivers working on an OS. I'd also worry about future compatibility issues with those drivers on future OS updates.

#31 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:57 AM

dkb, please do let us know how it works out for you.

#32 dkb

dkb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

Keith,
If you have the time I think it would be very valuable to do a review on the icron Ranger unit and your setup and submit it to Cloudy Nights as a Review to be displayed on the main page. There are I think a lot of people in similar position that have no ideas this solution exists.

#33 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

Keith,
If you have the time I think it would be very valuable to do a review on the icron Ranger unit and your setup and submit it to Cloudy Nights as a Review to be displayed on the main page. There are I think a lot of people in similar position that have no ideas this solution exists.

Interesting suggestion. The key here is "if you have the time". I'll see what I can do, but it might be a few months before I can get to it. Good idea though.
...Keith

#34 dkb

dkb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

There is an Icron Ranger 2104 USB extender up on AstroMart now for those interested in using that. I'm probably going to hold off for now.

#35 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

Jerry,

Could you please elaborate what kind of problem you had with remote controlling your laptop? I always shoot while controlling my netbook over TightVNC and so far it works really well.

Alex

#36 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

• Loc: Brooker, FL

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

There is an Icron Ranger 2104 USB extender up on AstroMart now for those interested in using that. I'm probably going to hold off for now.

I have one, and it works perfectly. One thing I like is that it's a powered USB hub

#37 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:40 AM

Cool device and the price is right... except for trying to pump 4x480mbs over 100mbs. I can just imagine trying to get that thing to work with XP64 though. I'll consider myself defeated before beginning.

#38 Gargoyle

Gargoyle

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

Alex,

I had two problems with using my laptop as a local device. First was the overall response-refresh time which was poor, actually unusable to be frank. For example I used Nebulosity to focus the SBIG due to its quick response to focus changes and refresh rate at the remote PC was about once every 10 seconds (unusable). Second was that the local laptop would lock up when running The Sky X, CCDSoft and remote Desktop. When I ran the laptop with the Sky X and CCDSoft at the scope, it never froze.

Another differentiating factor was that I was running MS Remote Desktop not TightVNC, and so I cannot comment about whether its performance would be better, worse, etc.. Nevertheless, I have heard good things about it.

Jerry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics