Is the LXD-75...

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 ch2co

ch2co

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rocky Mountain High USA

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

My 4.25" f15 home built Jaegers scope is too much for my hypertuned LXD 75 scope to handle. Not by a lot but I wouldn't want to use it for anything but light duty viewing (public star parties etc.) I ended up getting an Atlas mount for it and WOW the difference! True the Atlas is quite a handful to carry around, but for any serious viewing or AP it was the only way to go. My C8 scope does work very well on the LDX-75 mount though.

As for slipping gears, the gear chain is one of the greatest weaknesses of the LXD-75. Replace that cobbled up mess of a cheap cheap gear train with a Warp Drive belt. You won't be disappointed. And no I am not associated in any way with WarpDrive.

Dark. Clear, Still Skies and warmer weather
Chuck the Grumpy Gator

#27 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

2. Goto errors of about 3degree in the worst case
Otherwise tracking and motors were running just fine.

Alex

Three degrees doesn't constitute "better" in my book. My CG5 has placed objects on the small chip of my Stellacam since day one.

Rod, Three degrees was under HUGE load - 40 pounds of 10" F5 reflector with old fashioned thick metal tube.
Under normal load like 15 pounds of 5" F5 plus imaging gear, I am also getting my target in the center of APS-C chip.
My point was that even under such huge load, the mount was still performing reasonably well - it was stable, motors were moving the scope just fine, tracking was accurate enough for visual.
Given some effort, probably I could've solved this goto accuracy issue, just never felt that such configuration is really workable, mostly because EP is too high and rotating such tube might be not too easy even with Wilcox rings. I am still new to this hobby and at this point I dont see observing from a ladder as fun, I'd rather have my butt sitting while observing :p

Alex

#28 bardo

bardo

Viking 1

• Loc: US

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

my LXD75 doesnt have gear slip. I have bought two used over the years and they always had it though. but its almost always from someone trying to hypertune that really shouldnt have bothered and put it together less than optimal. usually a quick little shim in the right places will fix any of that type of stuff. the motors like to pull themselves away from the worm gear when torqued down. really not a big deal.

i think for what the OP wants the mount would be just fine.

#29 ch2co

ch2co

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rocky Mountain High USA

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

Alex writes: "- 40 pounds of 10" F5 reflector"

Woah! Way way over loaded. I know that Mead shipped this mount with a 10" Schmidt-Newtonian, but never have I seen this mount behave well under this load, 3* pointing accuracy is NOT acceptable, you will damage the mount and its driving components. Get ye at least an Atlas with this sort of load.

Chuck the Grumpy Gator

#30 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

I believe the LXD-75 is supposed to be similar to both the CG-5 and the Orion SkyView Pro. All of these are clones of the Vixen GP.

Gale

Correct

#31 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

I believe the LXD-75 is supposed to be similar to both the CG-5 and the Orion SkyView Pro. All of these are clones of the Vixen GP.

Gale

Correct

Yep...but from different manufacturers, with Synta producing the Celestron and Orion branded mounts.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics