CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice on wooden tripod please.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:40 AM

I live in the UK and am buying a WO Megrez 90 and a Tele-Optic Giro 3 mount with counterweight balance.

Could members recommend a good quality wooden tripod that would complement my "set up".

Would a Giro 3 mount "fit on" a WO wooden tripod without any "tinkering" (other than possibly the need for a "thread adapter") ?

Many thanks.

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

My Giro 3 works best with a M-10 mounting bolt. It's female thread can accept a 3/8" male mounting bolt, but will be a looser fit. However, it should hold well once it is seated to the tripod base.

#3 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

Odd; my 3/8" connection to a Manfrotto tripod is not a loose fit in any way.

About wooden tripods, the "rolls royce" are Berlebach.
They are rather expensive though, and personally I've been looking at Wolf tripods; this is a small company founded by a few people who used to work for Berlebach.

BTW unless you really want it, there's no need to use a counterweight on the GR3 with a scope like the WO90. It carries my APM 107 mm just fine.

#4 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

Hello,
I can second (and third) the suggestion for Berlebach.

ABSOLUTELY superb tripods - I use the UNIs and Reports for my Alt-Az UA UniStar Deluxe and SV-M2 mounts as my airline travel solution.

Oh - I'm in the UK as well ;)

Regards,

skybsd

#5 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

I got a Sokkia tripod from Universal Astronomics for my Giro 3. It has my heavy as a stock C 11 C 9.25 and 22 lbs of counterweights on it and is very stable and damps well at high power. I paid $250 for a Demo, I think they were around $300 new. I paid $30 extra for a adjustable spreader which was a was a very nice upgrade. I have my WO EZ with IM715 mak and Voyager with WO ZS110 on Oberwerk tripods and they damp well and are stable. You can get one for under $200. The Oberwerk would not be heavy duty enough for my C9.25. The Giro will fit on the WO-Oberwerk tripod. David

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics