CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Remote control of my vixen mount solved!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 vpcirc

vpcirc

Skylab

• ****-

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:37 AM

I finally figured out to run my vixen mount from in the comfort of my office. After entering scope mode, I connect the crossover LAN cable to my laptop (which I need to run phd and nebulosity) I then start the sky 6 and link to the mount. I can then run everything from the sky except initial alignment. I can slew to alignment stars with the sky, but I still must center and align on the starbook. I then start windows desktop remote control on my desktop, (you need windows 7 professional installed on the laptop) and for the rest of the evening I can sit inside for the entire evening. The only quirk I've found is when linking the vixen to to the sky 6, I have to choose setup each time in the telescope panel, then it will establish a link, and I'm good to go.

#2 charles1317

charles1317

I See Stars

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:49 PM

You connect the crossover cable between the laptop and the PC inside?

#3 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:20 AM

what other folks have done is connect the Vixen to a wireless access point's LAN port. the AP has to be configured on the same LAN IP address segment as the Vixen (which I assume is a Starbook -- it has a hard-coded IP address).

so your laptop can be indoors (allow it to connect wirelessly to the AP).

#4 vpcirc

vpcirc

Skylab

• ****-

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:28 AM

I connect the crossover LAN to the laptop and run the laptop indoors via windows remote desktop. I still need the laptop outdoors to plug the ccd camera and auto guider into. It just let's me sit inside to do everything once the system is aligned. Guess if I had a self guiding camera and a ccd that could remotely save images..., but most of us dont. Guys move the scope with ski safari already, but my goal is AP, which ski safari is
pointless unless I want to stand outside observing, and I was too lazy to pick up the starbook.

#5 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hey that sounds great that you got that figured out. So overall are you happy with the SXD? Not to be off topic, but I keep seeing them pop up on that other site and have been tempted to grab one.
Thanks!

#6 vpcirc

vpcirc

Skylab

• ****-

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:09 AM

After owning a CGEM, I would take a Vixen hands down. Once you understand how to set it up correctly it's a dream. The polar scope is the most accurate one out there (no more drift aligns) Once I align the first star, every subsequent star appears in an orion 12mm crosshair ep. Half the time the CGEM would be off by 5 deg. I guide consistently for 15 min exposures for hours at a time with a loss of 20-25% of the frames. AP used to be a nightmare for me, now it's a dream.

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:58 AM

vpcirc, am interested in your SXD experience.

there have been persistent reports of excessive DEC backlash that makes guiding very difficult. have you experienced this and can you elaborate?

#8 vpcirc

vpcirc

Skylab

• ****-

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

There was dec issue with stiffness and a little noise that was an issue, but they released a motor firmware upgrade last year that ended that problem. The dec can be a little stiff for balancing, but it's not difficult to adjust see here;
http://enzerink.net/...n-star-book-faq
but I am able to balance with ease, maybe because I'm using a side by side configuration?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics