Meade LXD75 set-up HELP!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Hall

Charles Hall

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

I've just bought my first GEM mount, a Meade LXD75. I'm getting VERY confused trying to set it up. It turns out the little sticker "arrow" on the Dec. unit that you align for Polar Home fell off. Now I have two options for sticking it back on, each 180-deg diff. from the other. Which is right? I'm EXTRA confused because the photo in the User Manual and the photos on the cover of the User Manual are in total disagreement! Which way does it go? I feel like a mistake will cause the slew operation to snap off some of those cables plugged in the front.

#2 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

The cover does not show home position, use the figures 16a in the manual. I used the LXD-75 for years with this setup.

Charlie B

#3 Charles Hall

Charles Hall

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

Thanks Charlie B, that's what I will do. The photo in the manual is simply too un-ambivalent. However, I have a book on Meade LXD75 telescopes and I'll be darned if his scopes don't all appear to be set up like the ones on the manual cover. So either something else is going on we don't know about, or maybe it doesn't make any difference which way you have it! (But how could that be?)

#4 astrobug

astrobug

Explorer 1

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:13 AM

It is possible to set up the mount with the DEC motor housing on either side of the mount without affecting GOTO function. That said, be careful setting it up with the DEC motor housing on the east side of the mount. If you are tracking an object near the celestial equator (i.e. moon/planets), and the mount goes a little past the meridian, the RA motor's tracking can cause the DEC housing to collide with the RA housing (possibly damaging gears, etc.). I have done this a couple of times, and while I have avoided permanent damage, it is disconcerting. That said, a mount at this price point is not going to have limit switches, etc. to prevent this. Although you would think that Autostar could be programmed to stop tracking or do an automated meridian flip when the DEC housing gets too close for comfort.
-Brett

#5 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

Actually, I'm surprised your mount had adhesive stickers. My LXD-55 had such stickers, which did fall off and were replaced with red tape. However, both my LXD-75 mounts had raised arrows on the metal of the mount and could not fall off. They were the same color as the mount and were really difficult to see in the dark. They did align as shown inside the manual.

Charlie B

#6 Charles Hall

Charles Hall

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:07 AM

Thanks Brett, what you say makes sense to me. I've seen my LXD75 try to smash into itself. It snapped off my power connector the first time I turned it on! Very scary,

But why would putting the DEC on the east side make it more likely to hit? Wouldn't it be about 50-50 which side would hit?

#7 Boot

Boot

wildly diverse musical tastes

• Loc: The Outernet

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

Actually, I'm surprised your mount had adhesive stickers. My LXD-55 had such stickers, which did fall off and were replaced with red tape. However, both my LXD-75 mounts had raised arrows on the metal of the mount and could not fall off. They were the same color as the mount and were really difficult to see in the dark. They did align as shown inside the manual.

Charlie B

Mine is also cast into the metal of the mount - it cannot "fall off"... :question:

#8 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

If you look at the LXD75 line of scopes the prices have been reduced significantly. What this probably means (WARNING: THIS IS PURE CONJECTURE ON MY PART, ANY RESEMBLANCE TO THE TRUTH IS PROBABLY PURE LUCK) is that Meade made some cost cutting moves. The ones that own the older LXD 75 components probably have a better product.

#9 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

hfjacinto,

What your are saying is true for mass produced items like cars or TV's etc.

In my opinion, astro mount is a totally different animal, where cost is driven more by research and development and tooling expenses. Looking at LXD75 in front of me, I would say it should cost around $100 or even less to manufacture it somewhere in China, so remaining $500 is used to amortize R&D and tooling as well as to have some revenue. Since this mount is already quite a few years on the market, I would say that most likely the initial expenses have been already amortized, thus it is possible that they actually MAY improve it without increasing price and even with decreasing the price.
I think this also explains why LXD75 is cheaper than CG5: LXD75 and LXD55 are much older products than CG5 so it is much easier for Meade to have lower prices because they already amortized start up costs.

Going back to original subject: It is definitely a good idea to have dec motor on the West: I had collisions couple of times with it on East. I even permanent marked an arrow pointing to north inside the saddle so I always mount scope into it with gears on the correct side.

Alex

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics