• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:34 AM

Not if you want to do long-exposure photography with no field rotation, but I think there's a good chance that mounts will be developed that can do it themselves with very, VERY high accuracy. All it would take was some motors on the altitude and azimuth adjustments on a GEM, a CCD camera and a computer that could talk with the camera, the mount and the adjustment motors and then run an automated drift alignment procedure. Given the sensitivity of the CCD, it could probably be done in a few minutes.

This is already being done now except that one still has to manually turn the altitude and azimuth adjustment knobs on the mount in the direction and by the amount indicated by the software. How would you like four (4) arc-second RMS all sky pointing on your Paramount? It's called T-point. Mind you, it does take more than a few minutes to achieve this. It takes a few hours. But it's practically effortless as T-point and the mount do all the grunt work while you sip your hot chocolate and browse CN.

Attached Files

#27 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:36 PM

Oh good, the CN troll didn't overlook the Mounts Forum!

-Rich

#28 JStanley

JStanley

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tacoma, WA

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

I own a Chronos HD32HPO Mount (250lbs max load) and I’m very happy with it. It’s very precise and I love no meridian flips or counter weights. Chronos now has a native driver for TheSkyX Pro that works very well. It has not crashed once during my detailed testing and provides seamless integration with TheSkyX Pro.

If I remember correctly, the entry level Chronos costs about the same and an entry level Software Bisque Paramount. So if you are considering buying a new High-End Mount you should give serious consideration to getting a Chronos Mount.

#29 Nasus

Nasus

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

a) direct drives (mounts still expensive; ~10k$, but available)
b) integrated USB, wifi, bluetooth (getting rid of those adapters and obsolete parallel ports...plug&play instead of pray)
c) LiPo - way lighter and smaller than those 1900ish bulky leadboxes
d) portable and precise mounts for AP

ps.:
e) gems will still be around - but instead of counterweights we'll use another scope to gather more light.

#30 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

I own a Chronos HD32HPO Mount (250lbs max load) and I’m very happy with it.

I for one would like to know more. If you haven't already, can you write a review?

#31 Chris Lyons

Chris Lyons

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Baltimore

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

That's a very cool looking machine.
Very industrial.
Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics