Ioptron Mini tower or Minitower pro..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 94bamf

94bamf

Vanguard

• Loc: Kansas City,Mo

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

So I think either a Ioptron Mini tower or Mini tower pro is the perfect description on the kind of mount I am looking for. A lightweight easy to setup Goto mount that could carry either my 9.25 SCT or a possible future 180mm Orion Mak. Now the question becomes, does either of these mounts function and perform in actual use? It seems I have read many horror stories about Ioptron, and had heard early reports that the Mini Tower Pro didn't live up to expectations. I don't really NEED the extra capacity of the Pro, but would like to buy the best mount between the two. I figure I will probably buy the 2" tripod as an upgrade for the regular mini tower, if I went that way.. I already have a ASGT CG-5 and it works ok, and I have even had thoughts of buying an Atlas, but the GEM mounts are just too big and heavy, and time consuming to set up and align. I really like the idea of a Alt-Azimuth Goto mount. It would be much easier to transport and setup along with my XX14i. I do own an Ioptron Cube, it worked ok once I figured out the settings/menus, which believe it or not was like a year after I purchased it. I became really frustrated with it in the begining and gave up on it. I don't want to re-live that experience.. :grin: I know there is the option of the guy that modifies these things(Steve Forbes, I believe) to make them work. But I am wondering do they function out of the box without extra work?

Ken

#2 JLP

JLP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, Ca.

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

Ken,
I have an unmodified MiniTower (I also have a 9.25 SCT, but have not tried it on the MiniTower...yet). I like it very much for my WO ZS80FD and double stacked SolarMax. The only issue's I had were a loose GPS connector and a stuck counter balance arm. I easily snugged up the GPS connector...only happened at the beginning and has not been an issue since. The Counter Balance Arm was partially my fault, and had to order a new one...only because the old one was marred and I'm finicky! I purchased a strap wrench for a few bucks, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. You might prefer a MiniTower with the MT Pro tripod for added stability. All in all, I'm very happy with the MiniTower, with iOptron and their customer service, and the ease of uploading new HC firmware.
Regards,
Jeff

Attached Files

#3 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

You should talk to Steve Forbes at Trapezium. They specialize in these mounts.

/Ira

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics