Starseek WiFi control?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coolie

coolie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

Anybody had any experience with the Orion version of the wi-fi control? How well does it work? Does it connect to a current Wi-Fi router or does it make its own network? Is it secured via WPA or ...? How long does a set of batteries last? The list of compatible mounts doesn't specifically list CG-5GT. But they make it sound like it works with any RS-232 interface mount. Anybody tried it with a CG-5GT? Does it also roast marshmallows?

Thanks,
Howard

#2 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:23 AM

I have it, it works great. I use it with an IPAD. It makes its own network that in the case of the IPAD you have to select prior to running your astro software. I have not played around with signal strength, but in my 10x10 obs it works just fine. I did pop it apart and I belive it had Southern Stars (Carina) wording on it, i believe its the same board as was sold directly.
My only issue is minor. The battery door tis the best place to put the stick tape for securing the module, but the door comes off easily if bumped. I am also having issues getting a power supply to work with it, currently running on batteries. It's supposed to work on 6-12vdc. I think my plug is not making good connection. It should be noted that I DID NOT purchase a supply from Orion, I was using what I had.

#3 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:24 AM

I forgot to mention that I am using a Tak NJP mount, I did not have much luck getting it to work with my son's Meade, but did not try real hard. The Tak took about 2 seconds!

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:37 AM

Anybody had any experience with the Orion version of the wi-fi control? How well does it work? Does it connect to a current Wi-Fi router or does it make its own network? Is it secured via WPA or ...? How long does a set of batteries last? The list of compatible mounts doesn't specifically list CG-5GT. But they make it sound like it works with any RS-232 interface mount. Anybody tried it with a CG-5GT? Does it also roast marshmallows?

Thanks,
Howard

It is the same unit as that sold by Car--I mean "Southern Stars," so reviews of that unit apply. It will work well with the CG5 and will _not_ roast marshmallows if you are lucky. ;)

#5 coolie

coolie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

Thanks both for the input. I'd love to be able to control from my iPad. I think this is going on my wish list.

#6 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:10 AM

It does also work with Meade instruments. it does not say in the instructions that one has to use not only the adapter that comes with the unit, but also a meade serial adapter cable. then it works fine.

as far as cooking marshmallows, if one uses an external 12 power supply, it does convert extra voltage (it only uses 6V) into heat which is normal, but hopefully not enough to roast marshmallows, runaway pigs, and suchwhat.

Theo

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics